Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by pindel
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 months ago

I sent an 80B Gottlieb board back to Fred Swemmer for repair about a month ago, he was always very prompt to reply. This time not, I did some searching and it appears that he died on July 4.
    Has anyone else heard this or have knowledge of his passing?
    He seemed to be a nice guy and his circuit boards solved more than one problem for me in the past.

#2 10 months ago

He lived in Columbia SC, so I am only making an assumption that this is him:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/frederik-swemmer-obituary?id=52413067

There's a comment about pinball boards.

#3 10 months ago

Sad to hear this. I've bought boards from him in the past.

#4 10 months ago

Ah man.

I talked to him June 22nd - jul2.

I sent a board back to him and he fixed it, it got lost on its way back to me and he was making jokes about it ending up in Brazil. Anyways I got the board and let him know and haven't heard back which I thought was odd.

RIP Fred. Maker of the most beautiful pinball boards on the planet!

#5 10 months ago

Nice dude. He honored a repair on an older sys80 board I had that for years and was prompt and reasonable in price/speed of repair.
    RIP Swemmer

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from scotto2000:

I sent an 80B Gottlieb board back to Fred Swemmer for repair about a month ago, he was always very prompt to reply. This time not, I did some searching and it appears that he died on July 4.
    Has anyone else heard this or have knowledge of his passing?
    He seemed to be a nice guy and his circuit boards solved more than one problem for me in the past.

Damn. RIP Swemmer, I hope someone is able to tie up all the loose ends with his repairs in progress and make sure a bunch of people don’t get screwed by his passing. Hopefully someone buys his company/boards so his work can keep saving pinball machines! It would be a terrible loss for them to disappear.

Thanks for everything, Fred!

#7 10 months ago

RIP. I hope his work can continue. I really like the Swemmer Black Hole sound board.

#8 10 months ago

RIP Fred. Bought several boards from Fred over the years I still have a Swemmer 80B sound speech board. Years ago I emailed Fred a bunch of questions about IC compatibility with 80B boards and how best to source RIOT chips and was surprised to get some rather detailed replies but now I wish I had asked a few more questions. I noticed his youtube channel was gone and remembered I had saved one of his videos because I wanted to copy his IC storage box idea.

#9 10 months ago

Crap, pretty much a legend to any of us Gottlieb guys. RIP, definitely a hit to the hobby.

#10 10 months ago

Man, another incredible Gottlieb System 80B legend gone. Blessings to the family.

#11 10 months ago

Thank you everyone for these amazing post honoring Fred. Please be patient as his family and friends are working diligently to move his business to the proper hands and continue building Swemmer Electronics. Fred appreciated every single one of his clients, and we cannot thank you enough for your support ❤️

#12 10 months ago

This is sad news. I had some excellent messages with him in the past. I’ve repaired the Swemmer boards and let him know that my diode clamping boards to protect the system 80 switch matrix also fit and worked on his boards.

2 weeks later
    #13 9 months ago

I ordered a few weeks ago and heard nothing. Now I know why. Very sad and great products.

1 month later
    #14 8 months ago

Just heard from a Facebook group about the passing - RIP to an absolute Gottlieb legend.

2 months later
    #15 5 months ago

Poor Fred....he was so important to everyone in the hobby and saved so, so many pinball machines.....Rest in Peace Fred...loved all the conversations we had. Todd N. Tuckey TNT Amusements

1 week later
    #16 5 months ago

we last exchanged in june, then no news from him anymore. now I understand why :'((

Fred, the whole pinball community and I will miss you

#17 5 months ago

Rest in peace, i bought many of his boards, my condolences to his family.

1 week later
    #18 4 months ago

Rest in Peace Fred. You were the only person in the world who could get my Bone Busters back up and running. Fred made a board just for me on short notice and it fixed all my issues and was great quality.

The pinball world has lost an amazing man, legend, and repairman. So sad to hear.

#19 4 months ago

did the boards on our bone busters also and helped me to solve some problems i was having with the sounds.rest in peace..

1 week later
    #20 4 months ago

So sorry to hear about Fred’s passing. I did a monster order of boards a few years ago. He was always so nice and professional. The boards arrived beautifully packed as though it was going to the moon and back. I will miss Fred! God bless the family

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frederick-johan-swemmer-swemmer-electronics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.