Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Newbie979
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a Freddy that is being a pain. I know, shocker.

It was running fine and then one day we went to turn it on and it just made a loud beeping noise and would not boot fully. I have changed the battery, reseated all of the cables and roms. I have checked the voltages. Everything looks good as far as I can tell. It almost feels like there is corruption in the rom or something.

Here is a video of what it is showing on the DMD when I turn it on. I have the volume down but it is still making a beeping sound when you have the volume on.

Any thoughts on what to check?

#2 8 years ago

On that system, there is a voltage regulator pot.. maybe it needs a small adjustment?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

On that system, there is a voltage regulator pot.. maybe it needs a small adjustment?

I checked that. No change other than if I drop the voltage too low I do not get anything on the DMD.

#4 8 years ago

When you change the battery on a Sys3 MPU you *must* reset to factory settings otherwise the machine will nit work properly.

viperrwk

#5 8 years ago

I got a call to service a Freddy that is doing the exact same thing. There seems to be no logical reason for it. I didn't change the battery because it was showing good voltage. I suspected the battery as it acts like the ram is corrupted from low battery voltage.

#6 8 years ago

When the RAM contents get corrupted on a Sys3 (usually because of either a bad battery, a DS1210 failure or bad RAM itself) the types of things seen in the video will happen.

Power the machine on, hit the reset button on the MPU board, install the factory settings, power cycle. If the settings don't stick and the problem remains, there's a problem with the battery/watchdog/RAM. If you don't have/know how to use Marco's test ROM to further isolate the problem start with a new battery.

This also assumes you have the 5v adjusted correctly at the power supply.

viperrwk

#7 8 years ago

I will give it a try.

1 week later
#8 8 years ago

It looks like this is an issue with the 74hc123a U11 chip in my case. I am not able to find an a or an version of the chip available any more. Does the 74hc124e work? From the spec sheets it looks like the a was a ceramic package and the e is a plastic package. I do not see any other obvious differences that jump out at me.

#9 8 years ago

Before you go jumping at U11, there are other things to do/check.

After powering on, press the reset button on the MPU board and check its functioning.

Perform a factory reset if you have not done so. As previously stated, this is *essential* after changing the battery. It is pointless to do anything else after changing the battery unless this is done first.

Check for corrosion around U6 (below the battery).

Then there's this around U11:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cue-ball-wizard-boots-if-you-switch-onoff-3-times#post-2319562

U11 is the last thing I would change before looking at the other components.

viperrwk

3 weeks later
#10 8 years ago

Is the DMD Controller Board light blinking normally? If it is locked on that could be a bad U8 Gal Chip on the DMD Controller Board. Issues with that chip can occur if you unplug a ribbon cable while the pinball machine is powered up. You can get these chips @ Great Plains Electronics. Also Pinball Resource has them too.

#11 8 years ago

I ended up buying a new MPU board from Pinball Resource. At the end of the day the $130 was cheaper than chasing my tail trying to isolate failing components.

Now that the game is back to booting correctly, I am on to chasing down what looks to be a failing smart switch. I so love Gottlieb machines.

2 years later
#12 6 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I ended up buying a new MPU board from Pinball Resource. At the end of the day the $130 was cheaper than chasing my tail trying to isolate failing components.
Now that the game is back to booting correctly, I am on to chasing down what looks to be a failing smart switch. I so love Gottlieb machines.

What made you believe you had a failing smart switch?

1 week later
#13 6 years ago

Notice when I play and a multi ball starts that the auto plunger don’t plunge the ball like it should. Sometimes even building 2 balls in the shoot at once. Anybody know how to fix this? L

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

5,400 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freddys-nightmare-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.