(Topic ID: 195130)

Best Playfield Cleaner for Freddy Pinball?

By kristyandjoe1978

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Can anyone tell me what playfield cleaner works best for Freddy or Twister pinball machines? I was going to try Wildcat #125 but it states not recommended for playfields with mylar or clear coatings, use Novus 2 instead. Not sure what these types of playfields are. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Are you talking about doing just a light cleaning or a full on clean ? For day to day cleaning I use CP-100.

#3 6 years ago

If it has Mylar, the use of Wildcat or Naphtha or CP-100 can break down the adhesive around the edges and cause it to lift. I've found that simply using Novus 2 works just fine for playfields with mylar, and it's light abrasives do an excellent job of buffing it up to shine a little more.

If the playfield is free from mylar, and has either a lacquer finish--i.e. games pre 1990. Or a 'standard' clearcoat--games post 1990; straight hardware store "VM&P Naphtha" is generally recommended, as it cleans gently without the abrasive properties that Novus 2 imparts on the playfield's topcoat. Less abrasives are better, since you want the clearcoat or lacquer finish to last as long as possible.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Are you talking about doing just a light cleaning or a full on clean ? For day to day cleaning I use CP-100.

Light cleaning. Great thanks.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

If it has Mylar, the use of Wildcat or Naphtha or CP-100 can break down the adhesive around the edges and cause it to lift. I've found that simply using Novus 2 works just fine for playfields with mylar, and it's light abrasives do an excellent job of buffing it up to shine a little more.
If the playfield is free from mylar, and has either a lacquer finish--i.e. games pre 1990. Or a 'standard' clearcoat--games post 1990; straight hardware store "VM&P Naphtha" is generally recommended, as it cleans gently without the abrasive properties that Novus 2 imparts on the playfield's topcoat. Less abrasives are better, since you want the clearcoat or lacquer finish to last as long as possible.

Great, thanks. I ordered some of the Novus 2 to start off with. Thanks for your help.

#6 6 years ago

If the game is new to you, and thus you have no idea what junk has been applied, I'd suggest you clean with Naphtha, then use a non-silicone PASTE wax to protect the playfield.

Novus2 is an abrasive, so don't think of it as a **cleaner**.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freddy-pinball-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.