• Latest reply 10 years ago by Enaud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Freddy_x-tra_s.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Does anyone know what fuse F33 controls. It keeps blowing. Any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

According to the manual F33 is a 2 Amp Slo-Blo for the "Top Left Upkicker", Q12, and "Freddy's Head Upkicker", Q13.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks alot. I appreciate it.

#4 10 years ago

it's usually the transistor on the upkicker

#5 10 years ago

Looks like the coil is fried but did not want to replace it if the transistor fries it again.

#6 10 years ago

Sky-- ... I have a Box of Freddy Goodies if yr interested .. I'll Find a Pict --.

Freddy_x-tra_s.jpgFreddy_x-tra_s.jpg

#7 10 years ago

I'm working on this same problem right now. Mosfet Q13 is bad and coil is shorted. Getting ready to order parts to fix this.
I also have a problem with only the GI lights (you know the #44's under plastics). All other backbox and playfield lights work great. All fuses test good. It's just these GIs. Any suggestions on what to check? (Sorry for the thread hijack, but us Freddy people gotta stick together ;>

#8 10 years ago

No problem Enaud. . Thanks everyone. Blackrose. Call me. I am interested.

#9 10 years ago

Hi black rose,it´s possible to scan me the hands of sligshots and targets? Thanks, if you want scans others parts i take
Thanks so much

#10 10 years ago

Thought I'd just throw this out about my probglem with the GI lights out. Dirty contact on the Tilt Relay. Cleaned it up and it's back in business! Wahoo!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from regis777:

Hi Black Rose,it´s possible to scan me the hands of sligshots and targets? Thanks, if you want scans others parts i take
Thanks so much

I don't have a scanner , I have an Offer of $ 100.00 for the Part's , do I have a Higher Bidder

#12 10 years ago

Hi Black rose, i have juste changed all the rubbers and flips, we have just enought a decal of hands on the left ramp . Thanks

#13 10 years ago

I thought I had this thing fixed! I put in a new coil for Freddy's head VUK and replaced Q13 transistor. I put in a 2amp slow blow fuse in F33. The coil, fuse and transistor are all per specifications. I tested this thing for a week and it was working great. Delivered the pin and fired up a game on site. Well, a ball got stuck in Freddy's head and another ball came in through the trough. So, the coil started firing and blew fuse F33. It also took out Q13 on the power driver board as well.
I think this power driver board must be cursed!
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm sure I could replace Q13 again and it would work until a ball gets stuck in Freddy's head again and the fuse blows (taking out Q13 as well).
Help!

#14 10 years ago

I used a IRL530 as a replacement transistor on the board. Is that what you used?
You said Q13 failed again? You measured a short on 2 of the legs of Q13?

When I first got my Freddy, I kept having a fuse blow out and I found it was not a transistor (was not shorted), but the IC that drives that transistor.

Also note that same fuse, I believe, shares with the Top Left Upkicker, Q12, coil as well. Could be now that one actually has a shorted transistor. You could change the fuse, disconnect one of the wires to Freddy's upkicker and then see if the fuse still blows. That would prove the other Top Left Upkicker, Q12,coil/transistor is at fault.

#15 10 years ago

I used an IRL530 as well. I verified that the transistor was shorted out again as well. Which IC drives Q13? I disconnected the vuk and replaced the fuse f33. Then booted up and went to test. When I tried to fire the coil (even though it's disconnected) the fuse blew again. So, I'm certain it is the power driver board that has a problem. Just don't know where. Thanks for your input! I'm open to suggestions.

#16 10 years ago

Q13 is driven by U2 #74HC273 pin 5. Of course, I'd suggest to put the IC in a socket.

You could try and measure pin 5 to ground to see if it is shorted.
Compare that to other solenoid outputs on U2 at pins 2, 19, 16, 15, 6, 12, and pin 9 to ground.
Other times the input could be shorted to the output, so you could ohm out U2 pin 4 to 5.

I had the exact symptoms as you, which is why I went after U2 and that had fixed my machine.

#17 10 years ago

Well, before I resort to ordering a Rottendog board to fix this problem, here's what I've tried:
When I tested C24, that capacitor seemed to be out of spec, so I replaced it along with another Q13. U2 pin 5 wasn't shorted.
I've been putting lots of balls in the boiler, and so far, everything is working fine.
On one game, the ball spit out of the head vuk and got hung on Freddy's jaw. The next ball firing out of the head vuk knocked the ball out of the jaw, but that ball went back down the head vuk. It fired again and came out fine.
Is that common, for a ball to drop on Freddy's jaw and then get knocked out by the next one?

So far it's working. I'm going to keep testing.
So, could a premature firing of C24 have been causing Q13 to get fried???

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freddy-nightmare-on-elm-street-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.