IMG_1417 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4038 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6277.jpeg
IMG_6267.jpeg
IMG_6258.jpeg
IMG_6253.jpeg
IMG_6237.jpeg
IMG_6284 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,166 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 24.
#351 6 years ago

I have the manual. And the back box did not work with the regular lamps before I switched to LED

So here is my dilema. using the schematics and testing.

At the a12J1 connector from transformer I get 7VAC at pins 3/4/12/13.

Going to the next connector in the link A9J3 Pins 1&10 should be 6VAC and I do in fact get 7VAC here.

Then moving to the switch on Relay A. this is where my problem is:

When the switch is the OPEN top lug gives 7.0 and the Bottom lug gives 0.1

When the switch is CLOSED both lugs read 2.1.

Pins 3&12 on the A9J3 should read 6VAC because this is after the relay but because my switch they read 2.1.

The Coil on the relay does not read anything if I have the black probe touching the common wire and the red probe touching either lug of the coil.

I am also getting 2.1 at the backbox on each and every lamp. No where near the 6VAC I need.

On my tee'd off I get vastly different readings.

*I have cleaned the switch, no change.
*I have jumpered the switch lugs, no change.

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from thestreetzking:

I have the manual. And the back box did not work with the regular lamps before I switched to LED
So here is my dilema. using the schematics and testing.
At the a12J1 connector from transformer I get 7VAC at pins 3/4/12/13.
Going to the next connector in the link A9J3 Pins 1&10 should be 6VAC and I do in fact get 7VAC here.
Then moving to the switch on Relay A. this is where my problem is:
When the switch is the OPEN top lug gives 7.0 and the Bottom lug gives 0.1
When the switch is CLOSED both lugs read 2.1.
Pins 3&12 on the A9J3 should read 6VAC because this is after the relay but because my switch they read 2.1.
The Coil on the relay does not read anything if I have the black probe touching the common wire and the red probe touching either lug of the coil.
I am also getting 2.1 at the backbox on each and every lamp. No where near the 6VAC I need.
On my tee'd off I get vastly different readings.
*I have cleaned the switch, no change.
*I have jumpered the switch lugs, no change.

If I remember right? The back box line also runs though the TILT relay (T) . Might be another place to investigate.

#353 6 years ago

I believe the flashers run through T relay. And they're working at this time.

20170526_094944 (resized).jpg20170526_094944 (resized).jpg

#354 6 years ago

Wheres a good place to get a replacement glove flipper?

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Wheres a good place to get a replacement glove flipper?

Pinball resource, he has most of the gottlieb parts

#356 6 years ago

Also Marco specialties

#357 6 years ago

just ordered a new relay coil, hope this helps my issue with backbox gi

#358 6 years ago

Hello everyone! I just picked up a Freddy and Terminator 2 Monday and last night while a friend and I were playing the auto fire mechanism stopped working so I had to plunge my own balls during multiball. Is this a known issue, or is there any advice you guys would have? I am hopeful that it is just a quick fuse fix possibly? Thanks in advance! Love the game so far

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from DatNoobAdam:

Hello everyone! I just picked up a Freddy and Terminator 2 Monday and last night while a friend and I were playing the auto fire mechanism stopped working so I had to plunge my own balls during multiball. Is this a known issue, or is there any advice you guys would have? I am hopeful that it is just a quick fuse fix possibly? Thanks in advance! Love the game so far

Maybe a switch problem... It's a common issue, I had it once on mine!

#360 6 years ago

IMG_20170531_074602 (resized).jpgIMG_20170531_074602 (resized).jpg

#361 6 years ago

Thats cool, i have a Freddy problem also.

20170531_101611 (resized).jpg20170531_101611 (resized).jpg

20170531_101643 (resized).jpg20170531_101643 (resized).jpg

20170531_101655 (resized).jpg20170531_101655 (resized).jpg

#362 6 years ago
Quoted from DatNoobAdam:

I have it every now and then with mine. All switches work correctly in test mode so couldn't tell you where to look.

#363 6 years ago

Sigh. Replaced the coil relay. Still no change. Still no back box lights. Same voltage readings.

#364 6 years ago

Sigh. Replaced the coil relay. Still no change. Still no back box lights. Same voltage readings.

Are you sure you don't have a bad/shorted lamp socket/diode somewhere?

I only just started reading your issue, but sounds like you have voltage until you close relay then it drops low. This would lead me to believe something is drawing down the voltage.

I just quickly read over the posts though, so maybe you already checked them all.

#365 6 years ago

Well I unplugged every bulb in the backbox gi, when I do this I get correct voltage when the switch closed (6v).

As soon as I add 1 bulb anywhere in the back box it drops to 3v

#366 6 years ago

Well I unplugged every bulb in the backbox gi, when I do this I get correct voltage when the switch closed (6v).
As soon as I add 1 bulb anywhere in the back box it drops to 3v

Too much resistance at a bad/loose/corroded connector or fuse holder possibly.

Otherwise, still could be a socket or diode itself.

Did you try a couple different sockets?

#367 6 years ago

I tried about 5 of them. All same result

#368 6 years ago

I tried about 5 of them. All same result

You said you replaiced the "A" relay coil; are the contacts clean/adjusted correctly?

Just like when a fuse/fuse holder gets dirty oxidized or loose fitting, dirty or poorly mating contacts can potentially allow voltage across without letting much current across. So, what you can get is correct voltage until you apply a load; then the voltage can drop.

If you put in 1 bulb, it goes down to 3VAC; 2 or more bulbs may drop it even further.

If these connection areas are not it, then I would have to lean back towards a socket that is shorted/dirty/corroded/covered in flux (either inside socket or on backside), or a failing diode on any one of the sockets.

While your checking fuse and holder conditions, make sure it has correct fuse in it! If someone way over fused it so it didn't blow, it could cause a heap more problems letting it run like that.

#369 6 years ago

I did make sure the contacts were cleaned and adjusted correctly, That was the first thing I did before all this testing.

All the sockets look great. which sucks because I am not sure how to tell if one is shorted.

Also the fuse is correct, I made sure of that and testing it inside the system and outside the system. 15A normal fuse in spot F8.

How can I go about testing the sockets?

#370 6 years ago

I did make sure the contacts were cleaned and adjusted correctly, That was the first thing I did before all this testing.
All the sockets look great. which sucks because I am not sure how to tell if one is shorted.
Also the fuse is correct, I made sure of that and testing it inside the system and outside the system. 15A normal fuse in spot F8.
How can I go about testing the sockets?

Well. The tricky part is that a lot of parts are hard to test in circuit accuretly.
We want to see that the center pin is not shorted to the outer casing, but we also need to check the diode on each.

You can check resistance from center pin to case (or from tab to tab on backside of socket) and compare to each other to see if any appear different. You can use diode check on meter and test each diode in both directions and compare to the other diodes.

Hopefully you will find something that measures different from the rest. The problem winds up being sometimes they are hard to measure when wires are hooked up. I don't want to start you down a path of having to unsolder and resolder a bunch unless it seems totally necessary.

I remember a couple guides on socket cleaning/checking...I'll see if I can find a link.

#371 6 years ago

I keep mentioning the socket diodes, but now I can't remember how they are set up on freddy...I wad thinking of the little circuit board ones they mount on some of the sockets. There are diodes on those g.I. sockets arent there? I'll geel stupid if there aren't. Lol. Maybe a quick pic of backside? Thanks, sorry about that. Any one else?

#372 6 years ago

I can snap a picture later on tonight, but I honestly don't think they have them. There's one big diode connected to 2 ground wires, but the sockets just have a white and black wire in the back of them

#373 6 years ago

Here's some

20170603_163520 (resized).jpg20170603_163520 (resized).jpg

20170603_163529 (resized).jpg20170603_163529 (resized).jpg

20170603_163532 (resized).jpg20170603_163532 (resized).jpg

#374 6 years ago

Ohh shoot, ya sorry. I havent had mine open in a long time and am so used to other pins...I forgot that they have those type of sockets. Sorry.

Well, you should still be able to (with power off and all bulbs in back removed) check resistance of each socket compaired to others as a start. Just use meter leads on the two little socket halves from front side.

Thats a start.

#375 6 years ago

All harware on those screwed down terminals is tight right? No bad crimp on a ring terminal or anything.

EDIT. Sorry for extra posts, since all sections are just contuations of a row of parallel sockets, could you try unscrewing them and only hook up the first section? That would tell you something if the first section worked.

#376 6 years ago

Yeah I can try and unscrew from the last row forward see if anything changes. I will also test resistance.

#377 6 years ago

Cool. Sorry again for all the info about a different socket type originally.

#378 6 years ago

Ok so tested the resistance, and there all the same. They all read 192 on my meter when set to 20k ohms.

Also I tried disconnecting the chains. Even with disconnecting all of them up to the last one no change on voltage

#379 6 years ago

Ok. So if it is still going low when a bulb is inserted in first set, with all other sets disconnected, it is either a bad socket in first set, or farther back in wiring somewhere else, obviously.

1 thing, I notice 2 wires on each side at start (the striped ones). Is there somewhere else those wires are going to? Like I would expect 1 set of incoming power wires screwed down to the first set of black and white ones. What is that second set?? Id it feeding another set of lamps somewhere else that may need checked? I don't have schematic and cant get to my freddy right now to check myself.

2nd thing (if that doesnt help), do you have some extra wires or a couple test cables so that you could leave the first lamp set totally disconnected (at both ends!) And say hook up second set or something to the power wires? That way, if it is still going low with a bulb, we know it wasn't in the first set of sockets either and know for sure to look elsewhere.

#380 6 years ago

I believe all the striped wires are the flashers, nothing is missing from the harness

I can try that second thing you mentioned

#381 6 years ago

I believe all the striped wires are the flashers, nothing is missing from the harness
I can try that second thing you mentioned

Ok. In pic it looked like 2 white wires with grey and yellow stripes feeding to the white wire

And 2 white wires with black stripe feeding black wire.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it correctly in pic.

#382 6 years ago

Oh that is correct, I think that's the power wires from harness

#383 6 years ago

Oh that is correct, I think that's the power wires from harness

My thoughts were why is there 2 of each wire??

I'm thinking 1 of each bring power up to all the backbox lights, and the other set must continue power on to somewhere else!

If you are not sure, you could try metering the wires separately and if only 1 set has power, just hook those up. Then see if back box lights work and if lights are out somwhere else (that would rule out backbox lights and tell you where else the second set feeds to).

#384 6 years ago

I'm taking a break from working on the GI. Im pretty hopeless on it.

What's some high scores?? I have yet to hit dream warriors mode. And never got to trade the krugerands. But so far around 250k is my high score. This game is a blast when u get 4 ball multiball going

#385 6 years ago

Happy B-day Freddy (Robert England)

#386 6 years ago

I'm thinking I'm gonna try and switch the transformer out of my teed off into freddy to see if that fixes the backbox GI.

This sound like a good idea?

#387 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

2nd thing (if that doesnt help), do you have some extra wires or a couple test cables so that you could leave the first lamp set totally disconnected (at both ends!) And say hook up second set or something to the power wires? That way, if it is still going low with a bulb, we know it wasn't in the first set of sockets either and know for sure to look elsewhere.

Well I did this tonight and sane issue. So I know it's not in the first chain of sockets.

So my issue is elsewhere. I'm debating changing the transformer to narrow that out. It's only a few plugs and 4 bolts but ugh I'm not in the mood to take apart 2 games

#388 6 years ago

Well I did this tonight and sane issue. So I know it's not in the first chain of sockets.
So my issue is elsewhere. I'm debating changing the transformer to narrow that out. It's only a few plugs and 4 bolts but ugh I'm not in the mood to take apart 2 games

Did you ever figure out where that second set of striped wires goes to/comes from?

#389 6 years ago

Ok so now testing those wires. They both have the same reading. Around 5v. Like 4.8 when the switch is closed

My teed off is entirely different I'll include a picture. On teed off the double wires go through the chain a lot more than just the beginning but teed off uses all 44lamps, freddy uses 555s.

So now I get about 5v at the wires. But 2.1 when the lamps are hooked up. Even if it's just one lamp

20170612_103814 (resized).jpg20170612_103814 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#390 6 years ago

Can anyone please post a picture of there backbox? The inside where the lights are.

I want to make sure those striped wires are in the correct spot

#391 6 years ago

My backbox looks a bit different then yours.

20170624_215229 (resized).jpg20170624_215229 (resized).jpg

#392 6 years ago

Finnflash thanks so much, it's the same backbox. If you meant compared to the pictures on this page a few posts up, that's my tee'd off backbox. I posted my freddy backbox on the last page.

But that did confirm my wires are correct, so I gotta keep looking.

#393 6 years ago

Hey Nightmare folks. I just discovered one of these games and played it in Las Vegas at the Pinball Museum. If anyone's ever willing to part with one I would really love to get my hands on one for my brother. He's a total Nightmare on Elm Street freak.

Thanks

Kevin

1 week later
2 weeks later
#395 6 years ago

Unfortunately I'm out of this club I founded , so here's a good friendly violent bump of an awesome inside art decal that your Freddy will wear with pride!!!!

#396 6 years ago

ooppsss...

2 weeks later
#397 6 years ago

Anyone looking to sell their Nightmare on Elm Street?

3 weeks later
#398 6 years ago

Made a few instruction cards

Freddy Free Play.pngFreddy Free Play.png

Freddy Instructions.pngFreddy Instructions.png

#399 6 years ago

Selling those lovely cards to Freddy club members, by any chance?

#400 6 years ago

I'm not selling or trying to make money off these, just sharing with the community. You can print them at the link below. They should already be measured so should be good to go, just don't scale when you go to print. Printing on glossy photo paper usually yields the best results.

Let me know if you print them and the size is not right so I can correct it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1x5zi_lSbetMkR3dWdsREZOdWM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (OBO)
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 1,166 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freddy-nightmare-on-elm-street-owners-club/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.