(Topic ID: 21617)

Freddy is not really that bad.

By Celiac502

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Freddy_Krueger.jpg
    th_HillbillyDance.gif
    th_jimsturd.gif
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Had a chance to really get deep into the game and it turns out I think I've been wrong.
    It's not bad once you get deeper into the game. I don't think it should get the wrap that it gets.

#2 11 years ago

I have no idea why my OG post has every Freddy in caps, I didn't do it

#3 11 years ago

I like Freddy though I like most pins. I think the game has some neat things going for it. I do not love it and can see why others do not like it. In a large collection its a horror theme that there just are not too many other horror titles

#4 11 years ago

I love Gottlieb titles, as i have alot of them...but i loath Freddy...

#5 11 years ago

Hook isn't a turd. I haven't played Baywatch, but I have heard that is actually a very good, well thought out game, despite it's look and theme. Freddy, never played, but it looks turdy.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I like FREDDY though I like most pins. I think the game has some neat things going for it. I do not love it and can see why others do not like it. In a large collection its a horror theme that there just are not too many other horror titles

I agree. When I 1st played Freddy I didn't like the gameplay at all, but once you learn the rules it is actually a lot of fun and very shot oriented. The audio and the DMD animations are fantastic. By far it is the one people play the most when they come over.

#7 11 years ago

you are not offending anyone.. it is just your opinion.
    there are only 3 or 4 gottlieb tables on pinside top 100.... that doesnt surprise me.
    most gottliebs from the nineties are complete crap. specially in terms of art... uurgh horrible!
    freddy is a crappy game. i kinda like baywatch.. but would never buy it
    my favorite is stargate.. but still i would never buy that.

#8 11 years ago

Not a big fan of Gottlieb DMD games. Stargate is good but the rest are just OK. They made some great EMs though.

#9 11 years ago

I found freddy to be lacking as well, especially in the "fun" dept

#10 11 years ago

Freddy is a bowl swirling SH%T fest....

#11 11 years ago

for the record Baywatch is pretty good...but that back glass...ooof.

#12 11 years ago

Pretty harsh words against poor Freddy.

I owned Mr. Krueger, and I really enjoyed it. If you like multiball and the theme, this pin is for you. But like everything else, taste is subjective. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it.

#13 11 years ago

Agreed. It was one of the few games out there that I played once and couldn't wait for the game to end. The theme is also dated, it would have been a hit in the 80s.

#14 11 years ago

Out of curiosity, where is that Baywatch on location? I'd like to play it before you buy it.

#15 11 years ago

Freddy is alright

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Celiac502:

I have no idea why my OG post has every FREDDY in caps, I didn't do it

The only thing Freddy could be used for is to burn the wood in your basement furnace! On a positive note I saw u have a Taxi, smart man!

#17 11 years ago

I've heard nothing but good things about Baywatch. Never played it, but I'd really like to.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've heard nothing but good things about Baywatch. Never played it, but I'd really like to.

It's super fun! Great layout, lots of flippers, shots, ramps, great dots on the giant DMD, lots of modes. I love the cheesy music, it puts me in a good mood.

Speaking of music, that's the worst part of Freddy....the music is ear piercingly annoying. It's trying to be the synth movie soundtrack, but it just doesn't work. Shame, as horror themes generally make for good pins....and Freddy's a great character.

#19 11 years ago

I think that FREDDY's an ok game, but it could have been a lot better with the inclusion of a ramp or two. If you're a horror movie fanatic, you'd probably like this pin. As far as the pin being dated, aren't many of them that are based on a license? (Plus they did a remake of NoES not long ago to freshen things up a bit! - wasn't that good though!)

#20 11 years ago

I personally like Freddy. I have re worked 6 of them since i have been in this hobby. Everyone has caused me major bodily harm as well. The dots are not that good and the sound is so so but it seems to have a soft spot in my house.

#21 11 years ago

Baywatch is actually a really cool game, but I'm not sure that theme is ever going to make the leap from embarrassing to cheesy-in-a-good-way.

#22 11 years ago

I played Freddy on location once and did the same thing. First ball drained and I just walked away. Terrible game...

#23 11 years ago

I enjoy Freddy. I really enjoy the theme. I like the integration of many of the movie moments in the game. I also like the long shots. My guests tend to like it as well. Quitting a game after 1 ball is never going to be enough to make any real judgement of any game. Is it the best game ever? No. Is it fun after you understand the objectives, I would have to say yes. Just my opinion.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Everyone has caused me major bodily harm as well.

#25 11 years ago

Baywatch is dope, haters

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The more I think aboot it and look at the dates, the more I think I actually have never played it.
    I think I might have been confusing it with Barb Wire all these years. So long ago can't remember.

#27 11 years ago

So you played one ball on a location game and new everything about the game................no more comments here.

#28 11 years ago

No we loaded the Baywatch and took it to where Freddy was, we pulled Freddy and put BW in. I took Fred to my home and played it and didn't like it. I can usually tell within 5 minutes of a pin if it's going to be something I like.
    Freddy has a broken record feel to it and the pf isn't populated enough to keep me entertained.
    It is a cool theme and that's why I even picked it without playing it.
    BW is a horrible cheese fest but has a lot of cool shots, it's just the theme is awful and the dolphin squeaking is weird too.

#29 11 years ago

Baywatch isnt terrible. Its alright.

Freddy is kinda ok. New players used to love it back when I remember it as it was released into arcades. Its too bad all the design effort when into Freddy's head (try to ripoff Rudy from Funhouse). Almost no ramps makes it kinda boring, just spamming the furnace.

Freddy's claw diverter is a great idea...marred by a low budget (those cheap fingers break so damn often...unlike the metal claw ball saver).

Not all Gottliebs suck. Freakin Stargate is great man!

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from drbond:

Not all Gottliebs suck. Freakin Stargate is great man!

haha my lowest rated pin!

#31 11 years ago

I liked Freddy ,, I Would have another if I could Find 1 .... Pins are Gett-n Scarce !!!

#32 11 years ago

I had a choice between 3 great titles, Baywatch, FREDDY, and a non booting Hook. I know they are turd titles but at the price anyone would be foolish not to say yes to any of the 3.
    The FREDDY was on location and without ever playing Fred I picked it due to the theme.
    I played BW but I was turned off by the theme but I really liked the gameplay and the hook I didn't want to inherit a money pit.
    I turned the Fred on and dialed it in and I was bored on the first ball and turned it off before my game was over.
    The guy is a friend so he let me try Fred out before I commited to buying so I am not tied to it but we had to put the BW on the location that the Fred came from so I don't think we can pull it just yet.
    Sorry if I offend anyone that loves their FREDDY but I think Gottlieb had a good license on the theme and did nothing with it.
    Sorry for my rant but I'm just mad I didn't pick Baywatch..... Wait did I just say that.

Have you considered a conversion?
    I have heard Jim's rates are very reasonable, call him for a quote.

th_jimsturd.gifth_jimsturd.gif

#33 11 years ago

Freddy is a turd? Oh I think he's coming from you....

#34 11 years ago

Don't go to sleep!!!

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Celiac502:

Sorry for my rant but I'm just mad I didn't pick Baywatch..... Wait did I just say that.

I guess that is what you get for calling it a "turd title" to begin with.

#37 11 years ago

It's better than Xfiles, SF2 and shit tales.

FT is an A list game, you just don't know it yet.

th_HillbillyDance.gifth_HillbillyDance.gif

#38 11 years ago

Every time I see the title of this thread it makes me sad.

Freddy, you are not a turd. Giggity.

Freddy_Krueger.jpgFreddy_Krueger.jpg

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

FT is an A list game, you just don't know it yet.

Yup, i'm sure the B/W snobs will agree.

#40 11 years ago

I love B/W games but FT is a stinker imo but hey we all have our opinions.

I've never played or seen a Freddy in person. I love horror themes so I'd like to play it at least once to see what all the fuss is about.

#41 11 years ago

Hey Jason, did you get the Freddy from Delbert?

#42 11 years ago

Yes, Freddy is a real junker. Unfortunately none of those Gottliebs are any good due to the very limited budget they had when they were made. Search on the net, there is a good interview with one of the game designers who says they had so little money for R&D that they had weeks to develop software. You can't do that .... It doesnt work like that!!

Shame as Freddy is a cool licence and Cue Ball Wizard is one of the best looking machines out there. But the game play and software fail badly. And those flippers!!! Jeeeeezus my 90 year old grandmother can hit the ball harder than those things!!

Hook isn't the best DE either. Had one and ditched it quick. I have love for DEs but not that one.

Baywatch would have been the one to get.

Cheers
    Dave.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Yes, FREDDY is a real junker. Unfortunately none of those Gottliebs are any good due to the very limited budget they had when they were made. Search on the net, there is a good interview with one of the game designers who says they had so little money for R&D that they had weeks to develop software. You can't do that .... It doesnt work like that!!
    Shame as FREDDY is a cool licence and Cue Ball Wizard is one of the best looking machines out there. But the game play and software fail badly.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Gottlieb platform as a whole or just the System 3 pins DMD. But, if you're talking as a whole - I disagree! I love their System 80 pins (A - B) and some of the System 3 early pins. I would say some of these rival even Williams and Bally's offerings at the time.

I'll pick 2 from the 80B lineup (Genesis and TX Sector). I'll go and say that both of these two trump most of the Williams' pins of that era. I'll still say a lot of people on here look at the artwork and automatically give it a dismissal w/out even playing it.....

Remember also sometimes having a limited budget brings out the best in people. Sometimes having a unlimited budget equates to a big fail.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

I love B/W games but FT is a stinker imo but hey we all have our opinions.
    I've never played or seen a FREDDY in person. I love horror themes so I'd like to play it at least once to see what all the fuss is about.

dont waste your tiome its a shit fest...

I love gottliebs and have a bunch...and freddy sucks..hate to say it, but it does...

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Gottlieb platform as a whole or just the System 3 pins DMD. But, if you're talking as a whole - I disagree! I love their System 80 pins (A - B) and some of the System 3 early pins. I would say some of these rival even Williams and Bally's offerings at the time.
    I'll pick 2 from the 80B lineup (Genesis and TX Sector). I'll go and say that both of these two trump most of the Williams' pins of that era. I'll still say a lot of people on here look at the artwork and automatically give it a dismissal w/out even playing it.....
    Remember also sometimes having a limited budget brings out the best in people. Sometimes having a unlimited budget equates to a big fail.

I agree that Gottlieb games can and are more entertaining thatn alot of B/W's titles of the same era....

I have a large collection of SYS80B's, and they are a ton of fun.. I have3 sold some of my A list B/W's games, and kept the Got's if that says anything....

They are a tremendous bang for the buck...

Yeah some of the artwork is a turn off to some, but those guys are the unfortunate ones that miss out on great playing games...simple to moderate rulesets, but packed full of challenging shots and fun goals...

The flippers on Got's can be super strong if dialed in properly, and if you guys ever get a chance to play a well set up game, then you can appreciate them the way they were meant to be...

The one SYS3 i have, is Lights Camera Action...its mode based and a truly awesome fast game..hard shots and a mini PF that rotates 360 degrees.....

Killer light show, and a total challenge...If you disable the random awards it is a great tournement game...

The other SYS3 i had was Operation Thunder...great looking PF, packed with novel interesting stuff on it...fast and furious at times, great ball locks, and cool all around but it lost its flair fairly quick for me.. ...and needing room i moved it along...

With more room i think i woulkd have another, but OT needs to be in a larger collection...

#46 11 years ago

Freddy is a fugly pin

#47 11 years ago

The cabinet art is terrible, but then again, so are most Gottlieb DMD's.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

I was referring to the DMD era ... Should have been more specific...

Actually my first pin (25 years back now ..) was a 1977 Gottlieb Solar City.

Black Hole and Haunted House are classic machines.

But the wheels fell off in the 1990s.

Dave.

#49 11 years ago

You should have gone for the Baywatch and just replaced the Translite with any other around.
    I likes BW, But that Translite

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Celiac502:

hook I didn't want to inherit a money pit.

Hook is a fun game.

Robert

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freddy-is-a-turd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.