4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coils (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I have been banging my head on this one for weeks. Hopefully, a Gottlieb pro can help. Freddy Kruger is living up to his name.

The game I'm working on is doing two things.

One, the Jaw(Sol14) open coil energizes when I test it from the menu, or if I test the Mouth VUK(Sol12) coil from the menu. Not sure if it's supposed to do that.

Two, the big one. If the Mouth VUK(Sol 12)is in its circuit, it blows the in line 2A fuse. That fuse goes to another coil, the Top Left VUK(Sol13), but that coil doesn't pop it. I've checked my coil on the Mouth VUK, and it's good. The diode on it is good. The driver board SHOULD be good, as I just replaced it with a Rottendog (the old one was lifting traces with the slightest touch of an iron).

I got to the point of using my Logic Probe, but that hasn't given me any hints. Looks like the CPU, U1 outputs are good, and the inputs on the Latch Chip, U7, on the Mainboard. It looks like things go wrong after outputting U7 to the Driver Board Buss. But, instead of seeing a Hi stuck or similar, I'm seeing Lo, Hi, and Tristate values form the logic probe. But once it goes through U2 on the Driver board, everything is registering as a Pulsing Lo.

I'm lost. I expected to see stuck a Hi on Solenoids 12, the Head VUK. And on Solenoid 14, I thought I'd see something tying into what is making it energize with 12.

I tried making a map from the Solenoids to the CPU, showing the Transistors and Busses taken to get from A to B.

If this is confusing, I'll try to rephrase it later. Maybe dig in the forums for anything relevant. My head is killing me.

coils (resized).pngcoils (resized).png
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

I have been banging my head on this one for weeks. Hopefully, a Gottlieb pro can help. Freddy Kruger is living up to his name.
The game I'm working on is doing two things.
One, the Jaw(Sol14) open coil energizes when I test it from the menu, or if I test the Mouth VUK(Sol12) coil from the menu. Not sure if it's supposed to do that.
Two, the big one. If the Mouth VUK(Sol 12)is in its circuit, it blows the in line 2A fuse. That fuse goes to another coil, the Top Left VUK(Sol13), but that coil doesn't pop it. I've checked my coil on the Mouth VUK, and it's good. The diode on it is good. The driver board SHOULD be good, as I just replaced it with a Rottendog (the old one was lifting traces with the slightest touch of an iron).
I got to the point of using my Logic Probe, but that hasn't given me any hints. Looks like the CPU, U1 outputs are good, and the inputs on the Latch Chip, U7, on the Mainboard. It looks like things go wrong after outputting U7 to the Driver Board Buss. But, instead of seeing a Hi stuck or similar, I'm seeing Lo, Hi, and Tristate values form the logic probe. But once it goes through U2 on the Driver board, everything is registering as a Pulsing Lo.
I'm lost. I expected to see stuck a Hi on Solenoids 12, the Head VUK. And on Solenoid 14, I thought I'd see something tying into what is making it energize with 12.
I tried making a map from the Solenoids to the CPU, showing the Transistors and Busses taken to get from A to B.
If this is confusing, I'll try to rephrase it later. Maybe dig in the forums for anything relevant. My head is killing me.[quoted image]

In the chart, Lo and Hi are self explanitory, TS means Tri-stating, and LoP, HiP, and TSP means the Logic Probe was pulsing

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

I expected to see stuck a Hi on Solenoids 12, the Head VUK. And on Solenoid 14, I thought I'd see something tying into what is making it energize with 12.

Ok each solenoid has its own transistor and each one should work separately,Solenoid 12 and 14 are they in the same row on the matrix chart in the manual?
It is possible that it could be a wiring problem or it could be a bad/flaky/shorted diode on Sol.12 or Sol.14
To test a diode on a solenoid/coil one leg of that diode has to be removed to properly test it.

2 weeks later
#4 4 years ago

So I went way overboard on troubleshooting, but given what all I tried I'm not too embarrassed about it.

I ended up buying new coils for the left VUK, mouth VUK, and jaw coil. After switching the mouth VUK coil out the issue stopped finally. So somehow the original and first replacement coils were both bad. I've had bad coils before, but that was just weird.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freddy-blowing-mouth-vuk-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.