Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pugsley
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Flipper.jpg
WCSHack.JPG
DSC03939.JPG
DSC03940.JPG
DSC03937.JPG

#1 7 years ago

I understand that soldering looks easy, but do us all a favor and buy a cheap practice board and practice before you work on the real thing. Holy Crap! Ok, sorry, my rant is over...I feel better now.
So I bought this Fire! (#4) and it mostly worked with what seemed to be a few minor problems. Well, I took the CPU out to change a transistor and look what I found...

DSC03937.JPG DSC03940.JPG DSC03939.JPG

#2 7 years ago

yikes

#3 7 years ago

I may go look at a machine in a few weeks and it says "Boards have had repair but not butchered" so i hope that they were done professionally.

#4 7 years ago

I've found some of the worst hacks done by old Operators! No time, just want the money! I wonder who did that one!

-Aaron

Iowa Pinball Club

#5 7 years ago

Sad, isint it? When I look at pins I inspect the boards as best I can. Sometimes the owner knows exactly why I'm doing it and other times I get the strangest looks.

#6 7 years ago

I'll be honest, I NEVER LOOK AT THE BOARD anymore when buying a pinball machine (major risk, i know!)! I've found if I take off the backglass, the next words out of the owner's mouth are often, "Can you fix it?".

-Aaron

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from IowaPinballClub:

I've found if I take off the backglass, the next words out of the owner's mouth are often, "Can you fix it?".

I know what you mean, but sometimes if the price is not low enough I want to make sure I know what I am getting into...that obviously worked this time, NOT!
Checking everything over really bit me one time, I had a line on a KISS Pin that was in pretty good shape, minor PF parts with hardly any wear, but it wouldn't power up so I wanted to take a peak at the MPU. The guy kept asking me what I thought was wrong with it and if I could fix it. Needless to say he then wouldn't sell it to me and it is still wasting away in his garage...jerk.

#8 7 years ago

One of two things happened there....Either the transistors locked on and burnt the traces and that's the best he could do, OR, he used a soldering gun of too high wattage and burnt the traces himself. Not the worst I've seen by any stretch, but certainly not a professional repair.

#9 7 years ago

It doesn't look that bad. I've seen a lot worse. A few jumper wires and the board should be good to go.

#10 7 years ago

They're cooked a bit, looks like the iron was too hot. But i have seen worse, My pinbot has one area that looks like it was soldered by blowtorch! As long as it works, I really don't care.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

One of two things happened there....Either the transistors locked on and burnt the traces and that's the best he could do, OR, he used a soldering gun of too high wattage and burnt the traces himself.

I am going with using a soldering iron too hot and not correctly. The reason I say that is because most of the time when a transistor goes bad it doesn't burn the whole ground eyelet out of the board. I am not saying it never happens but on two different transistors and then two others with connection problems to trace?

Quoted from jalpert:

It doesn't look that bad. I've seen a lot worse. A few jumper wires and the board should be good to go.

Most of us probably have seen worst...That is not the point here, not only is this a hack job but it does look bad and even though I "did" have to use jumpers to make the circuits work YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO USE JUMPERS to make the circuits function properly! IMHO

#12 7 years ago

That one, honestly, isn't that bad in my eyes compared to a lot of games of that generation.

But it is a shame that someone hacked it. I bet whomever did it thought it was cheaper than sending the board out, and got the game earning $$ again quickly.

Different audiences, different opinions I guess

At least it wouldn't be too bad to repair with some eyelets and trace repair tape

#13 7 years ago

I was going to say the same thing, not too bad, and very easy to fix.

#14 7 years ago

Looks like he repaired it........It worked.......then played the hell out of it again. Not everybody is a pro, and not everybody can afford a $100 repair job for $5 in parts to be put on a board. Ya it looks kinda like a hack job. But it probably got the job done.

#15 7 years ago

looks bad but prob used a shitty soldering iron

#16 7 years ago

I'll be honest, I NEVER LOOK AT THE BOARD anymore when buying a pinball machine (major risk, i know!)! I've found if I take off the backglass, the next words out of the owner's mouth are often, "Can you fix it?".
-Aaron

This exact attitude bit me in the ass recently...I'll ALWAYS take the backglass/translite off now

WCSHack.JPG

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

This exact attitude bit me in the ass recently...I'll ALWAYS take the backglass/translite off now

Now THAT is a hack.

#18 7 years ago

I have seen all sorts of hacks, but barring a few most are fixable. I haven't run across an added power supply yet.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

-Aaron

Attachments WCSHack.JPG (562.4 KB, 0 downloads) 3 hours old

What's the problem? You got a free power supply, once you fix the problem

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

What's the problem? You got a free power supply, once you fix the problem

True, nice way to look at it, but if I had taken the translite off I'm sure I could've haggled a bit more.

#21 7 years ago

I have been repairing all types of PCBs for over 35 years. I have seen pads and PCBs blackened by component heat. Sometimes when desoldering the component or transistor from these blakened pads it is almost impossible to get the component out without damaging the via (double sided PCB) or lifting a pad.

To be fair, as others have said they have seen much worse work than your PCB.
Not every repaired PCB is going to go perfect or look pretty.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

I have been repairing all types of PCBs for over 35 years. I have seen pads and PCBs blackened by component heat. Sometimes when desoldering the component or transistor from these blakened pads it is almost impossible to get the component out without damaging the via (double sided PCB) or lifting a pad.
To be fair, as others have said they have seen much worse work than your PCB.
Not every repaired PCB is going to go perfect or look pretty.

Yep, I dont see alot of "measles" around the board work so it could have been burned before the repair.

One of the ugliest repairs is when you have to put a wire jumper in a through hole. Looks waaaay ugly but is the professional IPC accepted way of doing it.

#23 7 years ago

Your board doesn't look bad at all compared to half the boards I come across. I have seen some unbelievable "repairs" in the last 20 years. It is sad, but operators seem to be worse than homeowners. I figure the average homeowner is scared to even try to fix a board, but an operator has no fear.
Paul
facebook wisconsin pinball - sales & service

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

At least it wouldn't be too bad to repair with some eyelets

Anybody know of a place that sells these things cheap(eyelets)???

http://www.soldertools.net/products/PCB-Through%252dhole-Repair-Kit.html

I've looked around a little and the best I can find is on one size package of 100 for $24. (Kinda steep) I was hoping for a "grab-bag" of some sort with 15-20 0f each size for like $10-$20 but so far no luck. Any ideas? [Note: I don't consider this a hijack, it is very relevant to the OP IMO. ]

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

One of two things happened there....Either the transistors locked on and burnt the traces and that's the best he could do, OR, he used a soldering gun of too high wattage and burnt the traces himself. Not the worst I've seen by any stretch, but certainly not a professional repair.

+1 Looks like a gun to me. Also seen worse (1 of them was my rectifier board and driver board in meteor).

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from dnhayden:

johnwartjr said:At least it wouldn't be too bad to repair with some eyelets

Anybody know of a place that sells these things cheap(eyelets)???
http://www.soldertools.net/products/PCB-Through%252dhole-Repair-Kit.html
I've looked around a little and the best I can find is on one size package of 100 for $24. (Kinda steep) I was hoping for a "grab-bag" of some sort with 15-20 0f each size for like $10-$20 but so far no luck. Any ideas? [Note: I don't consider this a hijack, it is very relevant to the OP IMO. ]

Best prices I know of at the moment are from Mouser, they started carrying the Keystone series of eyelets. Not the biggest selection, but not too bad either. Usually .060 is fine for TO-220 sized transistors, .030 for most IC legs and small transistors/resistors, and .089 for your big .156 connector pins. Just watch closely as you install them, sometimes you have to trim the flanges to keep them from touching each other in close proximity situations.

I use eyelets all the time, fantastically helpful for this type of situation.

-Hans

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Best prices I know of at the moment are from Mouser, they started carrying the Keystone series of eyelets. Not the biggest selection, but not too bad either. Usually .060 is fine for TO-220 sized transistors, .030 for most IC legs and small transistors/resistors, and .089 for your big .156 connector pins. Just watch closely as you install them, sometimes you have to trim the flanges to keep them from touching each other in close proximity situations.

I use eyelets all the time, fantastically helpful for this type of situation.

-Hans

This is very helpful info Hans. Thanks!

#29 7 years ago

Not a board hack, but the most hilarious hack I've seen from an IJ I picked up

Flipper.jpg

#30 7 years ago

I sure do love me some zip ties!! Its quite amazing what one could accomplish with a hand full of zip ties.

#31 7 years ago

So it looks like what, the opto board failed and they added a switch to "fix" it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
2,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Franklin, NH
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cary, IL
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside