Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-543.jpg
image-310.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I bought a MSF yesterday and when I assembled the game next to my other pins it is noticeably shorter in height than my other pins. I looked at the manual (that was luckily included with the pin) and it states 28" leg height which is what is on the pin. The game seems too short.

Anyone have any input in this?

Also on a side note: my game has matching numbers but all the boards are Data East. Did DE make the boards for Sega even after being bought out by them? Were they surplus boards?

#2 9 years ago

28 is what came on mine!

#3 9 years ago

Mine measured 28 and is taller !!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#4 9 years ago

You are using William/Bally legs on a Sega pin. The holes are positioned differently. There should not be a noticeable difference in height.

#5 9 years ago

My Frank is also taller.

#6 9 years ago

My Frankstein, LAH, and JP are all in one room together, and they are all taller than my Bally and Williams pins. (My Stargate also makes my Stern Spiderman look tiny.)

I'm pretty sure that the backbox itself on Frankenstein is bigger than normal, because we weren't able to haul it in my car which has hauled other pins before. If you look at the pic above, the bottom of the backbox looks about an inch higher than TAF and the other pins' backbox baseline, but Frank is still a good 2 inches taller.

#7 9 years ago

Putting Frankenstein next to my x-men pro made xmen look like one of those Sears home models from the 70's

#8 9 years ago

I can't figure it out; the leg length and bolt locations are the same on all my DE pins. Take a look. What am I missing? It almost seems like the bolt holes were put in higher on the cabinet; there are only one set of holes through the cabinet so they are made factory hole locations. Also all of my games have there front leg adjusters bottomed out, rear are adjusted close to the same. Did Frank switch over to 30" legs at one point in production?
image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 9 years ago

Hope this helps, and think it is weird we have almost the same room and set-up.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-310.jpgimage-310.jpg image-543.jpgimage-543.jpg
#10 9 years ago

Could you measure the length of your MSF legs? They appear longer than your LAH legs. Thanks!

Quoted from blondetall:

#11 9 years ago

I'm not home right now, but they are absolutely longer. The LAH one's top is right below the arrow, and the whole leg is shorter than the top bolt on Frank.

#12 9 years ago

At some point in time DE/Sega legs changed from 28 1/2" to 30 1/2", but I can't remember exactly when. It's been many many years since my MSF left, but I'm almost certain the legs on mine were 30 1/2".

In regards to the boards, they were just using up old stock during the transition phase. There were also boards labeled Sega in some Stern games during the Sega/Stern name change. Same deal there....just using up existing stock.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

image.jpg 362 KB

image-310.jpg 446 KB

image-543.jpg 321 KB

Your 'googly' eyes on Arnold are freaking me out!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

At some point in time DE/Sega legs changed from 28 1/2" to 30 1/2", but I can't remember exactly when. It's been many many years since my MSF left, but I'm almost certain the legs on mine were 30 1/2".
In regards to the boards, they were just using up old stock during the transition phase. There were also boards labeled Sega in some Stern games during the Sega/Stern name change. Same deal there....just using up existing stock.

When I purchased new legs for me DESW the manual indicated 28.5" legs. If you go to Marco or any of the suppliers it shows 30.5" legs and lists them as an updated part number. I didn't like how high my DESW sat so I ordered some B/W 28.5" legs and they worked perfect.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. The current height it just too short, so I think I will need to buy the 30-1/2" legs. I think the 'googly' eyes are an improvement; takes away from the massive face! At some point I will buy the alternate translite that's floating out there, or do what blondetall did and put a couple of 'googly' eyes on mine. I've seen a few people take a permanent marker and draw sunglasses over the eyes.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

When I purchased new legs for me DESW the manual indicated 28.5" legs. If you go to Marco or any of the suppliers it shows 30.5" legs and lists them as an updated part number. I didn't like how high my DESW sat so I ordered some B/W 28.5" legs and they worked perfect.

Yeah, I think the leg bolt holes on DESW were still down low on the cabinet at that point, so the longer legs really would make it tall! That's the crappy part about new parts that supercede the old stuff....sometimes it screws things up.

#17 9 years ago

I can check my MSF tomorrow when I get to work.

#18 9 years ago

I had googly eyes on Frank too but they fell off. They jiggle when the shaker goes off.

#19 9 years ago

You have a shaker motor on your Frank, or are you talking about the LAH?

I would love to have a shaker motor on my Frank.

#20 9 years ago

I measured my Maverick which should be the same height due to the larger DMD.
Not including the adjusters, from bottom of front leg to lockdown bar is 37 inches.
From bottom of rear leg to base of backbox stands 48 inches.
Legs are all 30.5 inch and are the originals. Your machine is a year later...maybe they started using the shorter legs to bring 'em down to the other brands heights??
Hope this helps.

#21 9 years ago

Sorry, I was talking about LAH and Arnold's eyes jiggling. I'd love to have a shaker in Frank too, but am going to have to settle for the new powered sub we got for it. Havent hooked it up yet, but should make it rock.

#22 9 years ago

Yeah I love the shaker motor on my LAH and TFTC; wish it was an option on more pins. Frank would be amazing with a shaker motor, that is if it had the software written to accept it. I'm going to order a set of 30-1/2" legs for Frank and call it a day.

#23 9 years ago

It's likely the fault of the triceratops living under the MSF machine. I think it has nibbled away at the legs!

#24 9 years ago

My problem child Frankie has 30-1/2" legs too AND the latest software from the factory----version 1.03.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Hatska1:

It's likely the fault of the triceratops living under the MSF machine. I think it has nibbled away at the legs!

Ha! No, that's my stegosaurus, not his, and my legs are longer. lol The stego usually lives under/on my Jurassic Park, but it's closed for maintenance right now so he relocated temporarily. He'll have to move again when I get Frank's sub hooked up.

I do think it's weird we have the same machines in a room with the same floor/wall color. I bet he doesn't have a pink t-rex on the wall though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 36.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frankenstein-sega-height and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.