New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 110105)

Frankenstein gives out two balls instead of one

By Earial

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Thor-NL
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0006.JPG
trough2.jpg
WP_20140524_001.jpg
500-6119-14_1.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hey all,

Rookie here... my Mary Shelley's Frankenstein suddenly gives out two balls in the shooting lane instead of just one. How is that possible?

I'm not sure if the problem lies in the sensor/contact parts the balls lay on or the opto board.

I removed all balls and then reload them, which had no result. How can I find out if the six sensors below the balls work?

Thanks!
Steven

#2 5 years ago

Hey Steven,

That usually happens when there are too many balls installed in the game, but I don't think that's the case here.

Have you run the switch test yet to see if all switches near the ball through work correctly?

Greetings from Schagen

#3 5 years ago

The title of this thread is awesome.

You'll get an answer to the question tomorrow I am sure. Just an opto issue. Does the ball end when one ball drains when two are in play?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Earial:

How can I find out if the six sensors below the balls work?

Go into the switch test mode in the settings. It will show a picture of the switch matrix on the DMD and lit squares will correspond to active switches

#5 5 years ago

Just did the swith test (all the six balls are in) and the only thing that the display shows is:

ACTIVE SWITCH TEST
6-BALL THROUGH #2 (#3, #4, #5, #6 (F))
GRN-RED WHT-RED (ORG, YEL, GRN, BLU), #10 (#11, #12, #13, #14)

So it doesn't show #1. Does this mean there's a problem with #1? On startup of the machine it says one ball is missing, while all six balls are already in.

I didn't see a picture of the switch matrix.

Thanks again, guys!
Steven

#6 5 years ago

My IJ (Williams) done the same thing , the opto ball trough , the 2 PCB's get a lot of abuse and vibrations from the draining balls and the optos can just crap themselves , or get cracked soldered joints , I did use a camera to check the optos for proper operation , some we're very dull ... Sometimes it's just the best to replace them ( The 2 PCB Boards ,remember these original boards are like 20 years old) as the new hardware is much more reliable ..

#7 5 years ago

Okay, thanks! I understand what you're saying, but I'm afraid I don't know how the parts look like you're talking about.

So, I have a few rookie questions: how do I recognise an opto ball through and how a PCB?

Steven

#8 5 years ago

I think Frankenstein trough will be considerably different, but basically this is what Buzzbee is referring to.

500-6119-14_1.jpg

I think Frankenstein uses regular switches to account for the balls in the trough.

Williams/Ballys, like Indiana Jones and my STTNG (I replaced these boards this morning) use optos (beams of light) to account for the balls.

WP_20140524_001.jpg
trough2.jpg

I would imagine this is more of a switch issue than a board issue personally. Then again, I don't know shit for the most part either, lol.

#9 5 years ago

Wow, thanks for the pics! Aha! Now it starts to make sense. Indeed I have switches the balls lay on. So probably one of the switches is bad?

Does this has anything to do with my active switch test result, that #1 is missing in the list?

Here's a pic of the switches Frankenstein has!

Steven

IMG_0006.JPG
#10 5 years ago

Remove the balls and trip the switches by finger.
#1 will not register, look if wires are all soldered on, not loose, or if the solder is not cracked or dull (re-flow solder).
See if the actuator-arm on the switch is not bend proper.

Veel succes, maar dit moet te repareren zijn

Greetings from Breda

#11 5 years ago

Okay, thanks a lot! Een beetje solderen moet wel lukken!

Cheers,
Steven

#12 5 years ago

By the looks of it, the first switch is most likely not fully pressed down.

#13 5 years ago

I just had to replace the last switch on the Frankenstein I'm working on. Switch lever was bent and the ball sometimes wouldn't register, which would lead to 2 balls being ejected at times.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I think Frankenstein trough will be considerably different, but basically this is what Buzzbee is referring to.

I think Frankenstein uses regular switches to account for the balls in the trough.
Williams/Ballys, like Indiana Jones and my STTNG (I replaced these boards this morning) use optos (beams of light) to account for the balls.

I would imagine this is more of a switch issue than a board issue personally. Then again, I don't know shit for the most part either, lol.

Thanks for the pictures to clear that up , yeah I hasn't sure either if it was Optos or switches ..... Now I know .

500-6119-14_1.jpg 43 KB

WP_20140524_001.jpg 162 KB

trough2.jpg 15 KB

#15 5 years ago

Okay, I did the switch test and at first, the most left switch didn't react. I pressed it down a few times and then it worked again. When I looked more closely, I felt its middle metal move a bit, so this it it!

Thanks a lot guys. Another part of the machine I understand!

Steven

#16 5 years ago

Thanks for reporting back, so it might help someone in the future when they search

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,300 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Atlanta, GA
$ 209.99
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside