Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0268 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hello everybody,

Aim having an Data East/Sega Frankenstein machine with an DMD problem, its restarting when the machine is booted.

I already checked the following things.
- checked the voltage on the display driver board = 4,95V
- checked the voltage on the display = 17v
- reinstalled the ROMS on the driver board

Here is the problem:
YouTube: Frankenstein DMD problem

Also I already contacted Mr. Pinball for an DMD extender but no answer after one week.

Unfortunately I dont know someone with an 192x64 DMD to swap the display to test.
Thanks for your help!

#2 6 years ago

Hi,

The Sega large display have their own processor board. If you do not get 5vdc on the display board connector, you get this reboot screen.

Here is a link which indicates the steps you can follow to fix yout problem. Go to the display section, 192x64.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#dots

I had this problem on the batman forever and replaced the capacitors and BRs to get the 5vdc. Also there is a wiring kit from Marco pinball which gives an alternate direct connection to the display board. You can start with it.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6326-00

#3 6 years ago

don't understand this post, it is restarting when game reboots, aint that whats its supposed to do?

#5 6 years ago

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response.
Sorry for the misunderstanding but I tryed to explane te following : when the Pinball machine is booted ( Ready for play) the screen constantly reboots/resets.

jimy_speedt
I already soldert an cable directly from the power supply to the display driver board, but the same problem.

I uploaded an video on YouTube with the problem with video name: Frankenstein DMD problem. (At this moment I cannot insert links to this forum.

#6 6 years ago

4,95 vdc is not enough, the display board processor must work with 5vdc. The wires you soldered are useless if the voltage outgoing from the power board is 4,95vdc. Try to replace BR1

"
If the Super Size DMD Still Doesn't Work...
Additionally, the +5/+12 volt bridge rectifier (DB1) on the power supply board may need to be replaced. If this bridge becomes "leaky" (less efficient), it may not be able to supply the robust +5 volts needed on the display board. So if the above modification does not work, replace bridge DB1 next. When replacing DB1 on the power supply board, also solder an 18 guage wire from the "+" lead of bridge DB1 to the "+" lead of capacitor C4. Solder another 18 gauge wire from the "-" lead of the bridge DB1 (the lead diagonal to the bridge's "+" lead) to the "-" lead of capacitor C1. Do this on the solder side of the power supply board. These added wires will help prevent future cracked solder joints on the power supply board.

Lastly, make sure the backbox grounding strap is tight and making good contact to the 192x64 dot matrix controller board. A loose grounding strap can contribute to super size DMD problems.

"

#7 6 years ago

Hello Jimy,

I did already replace the brigde on the power supply, but I will make some leats from the bridge to the caps tomorrow.

Is it possible to power the display driver board and the DMD display with an computer power supply to test them?

#8 6 years ago

Hi,

Your display is most probably good knowing that the required voltage is not supplied. Also 12vdc should be measured. I would test backward looking at the schematics.

1. Does the power transformer provide 9vac to cn1 ?
2. On the power board, do you get 4,95 or 5vdc in TP1, +12 on tp3, -12 on tp4 ?
3. If not +12/-12, 5 vdc, check the tracks continuity, check the diodes, capacitors and resistances, as shown on schematics p81 (see ipdb). maybe ic1 is failing.
4 If you do not get +12/-12 replace the 4 capacitors c11-c14,

Regarding your question, I do not know, you need 12vdc unregulated and exact 5vdc. Why not, maybe a machine boot check will fail but sincerely I have never tried.

#9 6 years ago

Hello Jimy,
Here are my mesuring results:
CN1 pin 10 and 11 = 19,95VAC
TP1 = 5.01VDC
TP3 = 11.85 VDC
TP4 = -13.80 VDC
TP3 and TP4 = 25.55 VDC
Also I already replaced the 4 x 4700uf and 1000uf caps
So the power supply will not be the problem I think?

#10 6 years ago

After some more mesures I found out, when the display controle board and sound board is connected the 12 volt drops down to 10.45VDC .
And without connected the display driver board and the sound board its around 11.80VDC
The 5volt is not changing and stays on 5.01VDC on pin TP1

#11 6 years ago

Replace the header and connector for the 5v interface on your DMD driver board. These are probably corroded and causing a voltage drop. I have seen where doing this solves the issue.

#12 6 years ago

After I soldert an direct wire from the power supply to the DMD driver board no succes.
It had now 5VDC exacly

IMG_0268 (resized).JPGIMG_0268 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

My Frankenstein has also an non working bumper, and for this problem ill replace the 6821 Pia on location9B tommorow.
And I saw that Also this chip controls the ribbencable to the DMD driver board. Sow hopely this will also solve the DMD problem.
We will see tommorow when aim receiving the 6821 Pia chip!

#14 6 years ago

Hi,

5vdc or above is ok. 4.95 was not enough. Good! Is the 5vdc steady ? Don't you measure drops on the board itself while booting ? 12vdc does not make the reboot.
I guess your reboot is just a dmd reboot, not machine reboot, but you can continue the game.

I have just seen your last post. Yes

I also found this thread, in which somewhere someone suggest to replace the ribbon, and it was the issue. Another one asks to check the grounds on the display board and cpu board

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/fpu6IHxAULg

Good luck

#15 6 years ago

Still no pakage received with my 6821 chip

Other question, I would like to order an DMD extender to get the screen visible on an beamer. But Mr. Pinball is not responding, do you know someone else whoes sells them, or create an own?

#16 6 years ago

I had this exact issue with a Baywatch and it turned out to be the DMD header on the CPU board had a broken trace. It's worth the effort of checking continuity of all the pins to their destinations.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Catweazle0172:

Still no pakage received with my 6821 chip
Other question, I would like to order an DMD extender to get the screen visible on an beamer. But Mr. Pinball is not responding, do you know someone else whoes sells them, or create an own?

Do you mean you're trying to install an external screen to test with? If so, the issue is probably your driver board dropping out which would put you in the same situation you are in now. Do you have another display to try? I heard you can connect a 128x32 display from another game to this and you should get an image, it will just be cut off. You need a really long (30"+) 14 pin display cable to run from Frankenstein to your nearby 128x32 game.

#18 6 years ago

Hi all,

After replacing the 6821 Pia the DMD works! also the bumper works!

But my other question whas to connect the display screen, to an external monitor.
So I would like to order an DMD extender from Dr. Pinball. But I had yesterday contact with him.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Catweazle0172:

Hi all,
After replacing the 6821 Pia the DMD works! also the bumper works!
But my other question whas to connect the display screen, to an external monitor.
So I would like to order an DMD extender from Dr. Pinball. But I had yesterday contact with him.

Did he respond by email? He doesn't visit Pinside anymore.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Did he respond by email? He doesn't visit Pinside anymore.

Yes I have contact with him on mail!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frankenstein-dmd-problem-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.