• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

#1 7 years ago

I'm working on a working Frankenstein with a dead DMD. Here's the problem, Cap C33, can this be replaced without damaging display attached to it? Is a Cherry A9441.

Thanks!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#2 7 years ago

Hey, I wound up buying a new Vishay display. But when I plug in power to it, whole machine bugs out. Unplugging power to display makes all but display works. Any ideas? I'm only getting 10v instead of 12v as well.

#3 7 years ago

Have you done the power supply fix? Been a while since I worked on mine but I know they are really flaky on the 5 volt.

#4 7 years ago

The wiring harness may be wired different. Look in the Wiring Diagrams in the yellow pages of your manual.
Check the Red, Blk/Red, Black & Blue all go to the proper pins. Dale, Cherry, & Vishay were all wired differently.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks guys, will hit power supply next. I did have to switch the pins for the Vishay, red/blue reversed. So I reversed all 4. Blue has no voltage and new board says N/C.

Latest is, popping the red 12v out of the connector and machine works except for DMD, insert that pin back in and illumination comes on but nothing else, a play field ramp stutters and that's it. No sound, no playability.

#6 7 years ago

Take anther look at that. The Blue comes from the 18v Purple, if I remember correctly.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks, will do!

#8 7 years ago

I'm still stuck, testing power display now. But the Vishay says no +5v on pin 1 and +12 on pin 4. Only getting 10v on pin 4 right now.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

Power supply seems good. I get an unregulated +11 and -14.8. By the time it gets to DMD it's about +10VDC. After unplugging a few times, I got the display working, but blinking. While blinking, machine does not play. I can put credits on and get ball to shoot but flippers and rest of playfield is dead. With display unplugged machine can be played.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

#10 7 years ago

What do the voltages measure when you unplug the DMD ?

#11 7 years ago

When DMD unplugged they read +11VDC and -14.8VDC. Leaving voltmeter on power supply test points, when I plug in DMD the voltage continually fluctuates between 9VDC and ~11VDC.

#12 7 years ago

Any other thoughts on what to check? As far as I can tell I have a good power supply and a brand new DMD from Vishay. I'm by no means a professional here, most of my experience has been EM and system 1 Gottliebs, so this Frankenstein is a definite challenge!

Thanks for any advice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 27.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 259.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frankenstein-dmd-problem-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.