• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

diode (resized).jpg
A95A13A4-F044-4B9A-8DDF-1FE3638CF24A (resized).jpeg
IMG_6846 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shacklersrevenge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

I was playing good old frankie when I notice the auto-launch plunger on even though there was no ball in the shooter lane. I shut down the machine and checked out the coil to the auto launch. One end of the diode broke off and was not connected. I actually ended up replacing the coil and that had a new diode installed. I power on the game and it does the same thing. The auto launch coil is activated as soon as I turn on power to the game. So would my next repair be the transistor tip? I attached the page from the manual but would I be replacing the tip at q44? Just want to see if that seems the next logical thing and if that is what would get damaged if a diode broke on a coil. Also let me know if you have any other things I should check as well. Thanks for the help!

Yes, you can test that with your dmm first, but it sounds bad to me if its locking on. Note that q44 is on the cpu while q5 will be on the ppb board (tip36c)

#7 6 years ago

I tried to explain what to check above, and I just went through a similar situation with a BK2000, which also runs a similar style of board set as Frankenstein.

If the CPU transistor is testing good, your next step is to test the tip36c. In my case, I tested an out of range transistor tip 102/122 on the CPU, replaced it, and my slingshot was still locked on. I did not see much info regarding connection to the TIP36's in the manual, but I followed the color coded wire from the right coil lug (a blue with yellow single wire) and also to the aux driver, and eyeballed the AUX driver boards TIP36c's (on Data East they call it the PPB board)
Sure enough, a TIP 36c was shorted. Replaced, and back in business, no locked on coil and fires as it should.

#11 6 years ago

That's my old Frank...

Do you know how to test the TIP 122 or TIP36c on the ppb? I don't even know why we're talking about coils before simply testing any of the above first. ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 36.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 259.00
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shacklersrevenge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frankenstein-auto-launch-coil-stays-activated-when-powering-on?tu=shacklersrevenge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.