New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 211649)

Frankenstein: Auto launch coil stays activated when powering on

By Willy39

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Kawydud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

diode (resized).jpg
A95A13A4-F044-4B9A-8DDF-1FE3638CF24A (resized).jpeg
IMG_6846 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I was playing good old frankie when I notice the auto-launch plunger on even though there was no ball in the shooter lane. I shut down the machine and checked out the coil to the auto launch. One end of the diode broke off and was not connected. I actually ended up replacing the coil and that had a new diode installed. I power on the game and it does the same thing. The auto launch coil is activated as soon as I turn on power to the game. So would my next repair be the transistor tip? I attached the page from the manual but would I be replacing the tip at q44? Just want to see if that seems the next logical thing and if that is what would get damaged if a diode broke on a coil. Also let me know if you have any other things I should check as well. Thanks for the help!

IMG_6846 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

I was playing good old frankie when I notice the auto-launch plunger on even though there was no ball in the shooter lane. I shut down the machine and checked out the coil to the auto launch. One end of the diode broke off and was not connected. I actually ended up replacing the coil and that had a new diode installed. I power on the game and it does the same thing. The auto launch coil is activated as soon as I turn on power to the game. So would my next repair be the transistor tip? I attached the page from the manual but would I be replacing the tip at q44? Just want to see if that seems the next logical thing and if that is what would get damaged if a diode broke on a coil. Also let me know if you have any other things I should check as well. Thanks for the help!

Yes, you can test that with your dmm first, but it sounds bad to me if its locking on. Note that q44 is on the cpu while q5 will be on the ppb board (tip36c)

#3 2 years ago

So having problems solving this one. Auto launch coil is activated when turning on the game. It’s not the transistor or logic chip on the mpu because I tested out a good working mpu and it’s doing the same thing. I also changed out the coil and diode. Any ideas what i check next? Could it by tip q5 on ppb board? Thanks for the help!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

So having problems solving this one. Auto launch coil is activated when turning on the game. It’s not the transistor or logic chip on the mpu because I tested out a good working mpu and it’s doing the same thing. I also changed out the coil and diode. Any ideas what i check next? Could it by tip q5 on ppb board? Thanks for the help!

If you have checked the coil's transistor and the chip controlling it, then that suggests the issue is on the playfield rather than the board. Are the lugs of the coil or the connected wires grounding on anything in the cabinet or nearby on the playfield?

#5 2 years ago

Can someone just confirm to me the wires are soldered on the right? The left is the yellow-purple and the the right is the purple-brown wires?

A95A13A4-F044-4B9A-8DDF-1FE3638CF24A (resized).jpeg

#6 2 years ago

What's the strip of electrical tape for? Did you add this or was it already there? If it was already there, remove it and check the wire underneath.

#7 2 years ago

I tried to explain what to check above, and I just went through a similar situation with a BK2000, which also runs a similar style of board set as Frankenstein.

If the CPU transistor is testing good, your next step is to test the tip36c. In my case, I tested an out of range transistor tip 102/122 on the CPU, replaced it, and my slingshot was still locked on. I did not see much info regarding connection to the TIP36's in the manual, but I followed the color coded wire from the right coil lug (a blue with yellow single wire) and also to the aux driver, and eyeballed the AUX driver boards TIP36c's (on Data East they call it the PPB board)
Sure enough, a TIP 36c was shorted. Replaced, and back in business, no locked on coil and fires as it should.

#8 2 years ago

Ensure you put the diode on in the right direction (couldn't tell in the photo) then verify / replace the two transistors. Which wire goes to which lug on a two lug coil doesn't matter it's which wire the banded side of the diode goes towards.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Ensure you put the diode on in the right direction (couldn't tell in the photo) then verify / replace the two transistors. Which wire goes to which lug on a two lug coil doesn't matter it's which wire the banded side of the diode goes towards.

I just had to put a diode on a coil for time machine. I layed the coil side by side and put the banded side the same as old coil. Without the old coil to show me which way to put banded side how do I know which way it goes? Sorry about jumping in someone else's thread but i got a similar issue I'm working on and no harm in cross reference. Thanks.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

The coil is new and the diode was installed with the coil. The so in the picture, the yellow/purple is on the left. The banded side of the diode it on the left as well.

diode (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

That's my old Frank...

Do you know how to test the TIP 122 or TIP36c on the ppb? I don't even know why we're talking about coils before simply testing any of the above first. ?

#12 2 years ago

i tested q5 and it tested out of range from the other tips on the ppb board. So i ordered a few of those and will swap it out and give it a try. Pretty sure thats the issue.

#13 2 years ago

That was it. Tip36c at q5 on PPB board! Up and running!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

That was it. Tip36c at q5 on PPB board! Up and running!

Ha, I told Jeff it was that Tip36C the other day.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.99
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside