(Topic ID: 62946)

Metallica & Star Trek Translites Framed

By LesManley

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

startrek.jpg
    2012-04-15_09.41.24.jpg
    !metallica.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I wanted to frame the Metallica translite I won at the Metallica Launch Party, but I didn't want to drop another $150 on a custom framing job. I went to Ikea and bought a $15 black frame and went to JoAnn Fabric and had them cut a $20 custom deep purple mat for the frame that matches the purple in the translite really well. I love custom framing, and I got my WOZ signed translite framed in a really cool metal alien green frame that looks great, but it can be so cost prohibited. So for $35 I went the cheaper route and I think it turned out great. Just thought I would share in case others are looking for cheaper alternatives for their gameroom wall art.

EDIT: I just got the Star Trek translite I won at the launch party framed the same way. Matching frames from Ikea, so they should look great hanging next to each other in the new game room. The Star Trek mat is a deep blue fabric mat. It was a discontinued scrap piece they had laying around so they did it on the spot for me and only charged me $15.

!metallica.jpg!metallica.jpg

startrek.jpgstartrek.jpg

#2 10 years ago

That is great. Well done.

#3 10 years ago

Very cool wall art. I bet they sell 2x translites to machines sold.

#4 10 years ago

Nice looking frame and if you need a spare translite just break glass (frame)

#5 10 years ago

Looks great

#6 10 years ago

What size frame did you get? Seems to fit nicely. I been buying them at Michael's when they are 50% off for around $15 as well but it's nice to see other alternatives out there.

#7 10 years ago

Looks awesome, a Dirty Donny transliite is definitely a pice of art!

1 week later
    #8 10 years ago

Wow. I need to do that to the 6 different translites I have been saving.

2012-04-15_09.41.24.jpg2012-04-15_09.41.24.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Looks good. I too won a Metallica translite at a launch party. Mines rolled up, your way ahead of me in the get off my butt and do something department.

1 month later
    #10 10 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

What size frame did you get? Seems to fit nicely. I been buying them at Michael's when they are 50% off for around $15 as well but it's nice to see other alternatives out there.

This is what I used. Fits close to the actual size, so you only need a small mat.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70186052/

#11 10 years ago

Nicely done!

#12 10 years ago

Is there glass in that frame or how is the translite mounted on the matting?

Looks great by the way.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Is there glass in that frame or how is the translite mounted on the matting?
    Looks great by the way.

It is plexi, not glass. The translite is mounted on the mat with framing tape. It doesn't take much to keep it in place.

#14 10 years ago

Hey Les if you ever want to get rid of the signed ST translight-I may be interested. They both look great-good job.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

It is plexi, not glass. The translite is mounted on the mat with framing tape. It doesn't take much to keep it in place.

Great job ---- M y Met signed (John Borg, DD, Lyman) translite would look awesome in one of those - next on my list to accomplish

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/framed-my-metallica-translite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.