• Latest reply 11 years ago by ParaBax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch.JPG
#1 11 years ago

First Pin, First problem. I got this Firepower 2 last week and after a few days the credit button stopped working, and upon further investigation found the entire row wasn't working. Same problem as seen here - http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-matrix-question-williams-system-7-firepower-ii
Turned out the white wire on the credit button was just about to fall off, and in fact when i touched it it did fall off. I soldered it back into place Bob's your uncle I was back in business. After 2 more days, same problem. Checked the soldering, looked good, wiggled the wire a bit, button started working. Next day, same problem, no amount of wiggling fixes it. I removed the solder, and tested it before I resoldered and everything was fine. Soldered it back up, and it doesn't work. Removed all the solder, and now maybe 5% of the time when I hold the connection manually i can get it to work. I'm out of ideas, and sick soldering in this tiny corner. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

switch.JPGswitch.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Based on the photo I'd have to say the problem is the solder joint. Compare the top one to the bottom one and you can see the difference.

Beyond that clean the contacts and make sure you're not pulling another connection when wiggling the wire around.

Suggest you find a good soldering video on YouTube and spend a little time on the bench practicing. Soldering isn't hard, but it's also not easy and requires the proper techniques. This is not all the steps, but just a few important ones.

1. Cut off the bare wire and strip back another 1/2-3/4 inch of wire.
2. Twist the wire so the strands stay together while soldering.
3. Clean the area with a fiberglass pen and then apply a little flux before soldering.
4. Make a good phyiscal connection through the hole in the lug before soldering.

#3 11 years ago

Yeah, the solder has been removed from the top joint in the picture, because the button wasn't working after I soldered. I think I found the problem, replaced the diode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 22.50
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fp2-credit-button-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.