Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3189 (resized).JPG
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

I'm looking at picking up a Foxy Lady that is not working. I am new to the hobby but ready to take on my first project pin. There is a local Foxy Lady (I am looking for a cocktail. Yes, on purpose. I know. I know.) that is in pretty good cosmetic condition but is need of a new MPU board and possibly some other stuff. Here is what I know: The game has never fully worked since the current owner made the purchase. They cleaned the hell out of the existing MPU but couldn't get the game to fully function. There was some evidence of acid burn but perhaps the board could still be shopped? Otherwise I am looking at spending $300 on a Game Plan MPU from Echo Lake which I am totally okay with. He said the most functionality they got from the game was to make the flipper work but the rest of the targets didn't. I may have to buy a new solenoid driver board to fix that I am guessing. He also said that the score display was just showing gibberish. All of that being said, I guess what I am asking is what kind of a mess am I getting into here? I'm obviously willing to spend some money on this thing and use it as good learning project but there is a limit to what I want to spend. I'd be happy at around $500 all in but much more than that I don't think I am interested. Is this project too much to take on for someone new to the hobby? Am I going to end up spending 1000 bucks on this thing? Help please. Haha

#2 7 years ago

I would pass on a non working foxy lady, not worth investing the time and money in my opinion. I see them sold for only couple hundred on CL in working condition. They can also be a major pain to fix. It is better to pick a project machine that is more common. That way you have more people in the hobby that can help and more access to parts.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I would pass on a non working foxy lady, not worth investing the time and money in my opinion. I see them sold for only couple hundred on CL in working condition. They can also be a major pain to fix. It is better to pick a project machine that is more common. That way you have more people in the hobby that can help and more access to parts.

Thanks! I do want to find another cocktail pin. What are the more common ones that I should be searching for?

#4 7 years ago

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the cocktails. Keep your eye on KSL good deals do come up on occasion, you just need to be patient (and check it a million times a week)

#5 7 years ago

I have a very nice "Foxy Lady" . Good fun!

IMG_0178.JPGIMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0707.JPG

#6 7 years ago

This is my "foxy lady" great pin!!

IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0707.JPG

#7 7 years ago

Uhh... you realize you posted a pic of a child in a hot tub dont you?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the cocktails. Keep your eye on KSL good deals do come up on occasion, you just need to be patient (and check it a million times a week)

I don't really have a ton of space in my apartment for a full sized pin which is why I like the cocktail cabinets.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

This is my "foxy lady" great pin!!

How has she treated you? Have you had to do much work on it? How was it?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Uhh... you realize you posted a pic of a child in a hot tub dont you?

Sorry, I think I deleted it!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

How has she treated you? Have you had to do much work on it? How was it?

Fun! The family enjoys the game.. Love the spinner wheel. Great add to any game room for the right price! No problems since I pick it up 1 year ago!

#12 7 years ago

For cocktail pins the two most popular are Caribbean Cruise and Night Moves. If you really want a cocktail pin, then I would search for one of them. But still suggest not getting a cocktail for your first project.

However, getting one that works is a better idea.

#13 7 years ago

I am posting a Night Moves here over next 8 hours--if it does not sell to one potential buyer who is deciding now.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

I am posting a Night Moves here over next 8 hours--if it does not sell to one potential buyer who is deciding now.

What are you thinking for price? Willing to ship?

#15 7 years ago

Anyone willing to make an argument for why I should pick up this thing?

#16 7 years ago

Short answer, yes. There is very little chance you will be able to get all your money back if you were to sell it. Learning on this machine is a problem, Ball/Williams stuff has all kinds of great resources, Gameplan stuff not so much.

I have a cocktail pinball, it does fit in an odd place in my basement, but the footprint isn't much less than a full size pinball machine, especially with a chair in front of it.

Forget the cocktail idea, buy a full size machine.

Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Is this project too much to take on for someone new to the hobby?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Short answer, yes. There is very little chance you will be able to get all your money back if you were to sell it. Learning on this machine is a problem, Ball/Williams stuff has all kinds of great resources, Gameplan stuff not so much.
I have a cocktail pinball, it does fit in an odd place in my basement, but the footprint isn't much less than a full size pinball machine, especially with a chair in front of it.
Forget the cocktail idea, buy a full size machine.

A Cocktail pin will never provide the satisfaction of a full pin !! At the same time a full size pin will never provide the satisfaction of a cocktail pin!!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I have a very nice "Foxy Lady" . Good fun!

Still concerned why you posted a photo of a young boy in a hot tub in regards to a foxy lady cocktail pin? You may want to remove that photo before people start to worry.

#19 7 years ago

I think only mods can remove photos or qouted posts once theyre posted. Im willing to give frankmac the benefit of the doubt that he fat fingered an extra pic of his son when initially posting FWIW

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

A Cocktail pin will never provide the satisfaction of a full pin !! At the same time a full size pin will never provide the satisfaction of a cocktail pin!!

It does not show up on my thread. Not sure how to delete it. Anyway it is my 11 year old son and the pic was posted by accident. I am sure people can get over it.

#21 7 years ago

I have a complete original Gameplan Fox Lady manual set if needed.

#22 7 years ago

I love me some Gameplan cocktail pins! I scored one last year for a couple hundred and the solenoid board needed A LOT of work (but not as much as it sounds like this lady needs) plus it already had an Echo Lake MPU. However, I was able to do all the work myself and it turned into a family favorite. I did it for the fun of it and NOT an investment. So if you can get the lady for the right price, since you have the desire for a cocktail pin, and it is near you, I say go for it!

IMG_3189 (resized).JPGIMG_3189 (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago

It's his first and only pin, and he's almost certainly going to be into it for more than it's worth. If he wants it, great. But he can do way better pin wise for his one and only.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

So if you can get the lady for the right price, since you have the desire for a cocktail pin, and it is near you, I say go for it!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If he wants it, great.

That is the key here, if HE wants it. This post will give him plenty of OPINIONS, but in the end, it is HIS OPINION that he has to live with.
I had a great experience with a Gameplan Cocktail pin and was sharing my OPINION. According to his profile he owns another cocktail pin already. Why not learn on a cocktail pin with fewer components and complexity? Again thats just my opinion

#25 7 years ago

I enjoy my Game Plan VEGAS cocktail pin.
Fairly simply but just challenging enough.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

That is the key here, if HE wants it. This post will give him plenty of OPINIONS, but in the end, it is HIS OPINION that he has to live with.
I had a great experience with a Gameplan Cocktail pin and was sharing my OPINION. According to his profile he owns another cocktail pin already. Why not learn on a cocktail pin with fewer components and complexity? Again thats just my opinion

Yeah, I already have a Star Shooter that I like a lot but it was already fully shopped when I bought it. I'm looking to get my hands dirty and do some restoring and learning on a machine. How was working on the solenoid board? I may have to buy one on Ebay. Are those findable? Is there like a universal driver I can buy?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foxy-lady-cocktail-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.