View topic image gallery

IMG_20180109_085010 (resized).jpg
15154310746961424184581 (resized).jpg
cb6c185c26fd8c1bf7e0d05cf0ee2b3bce81dc6d (resized).jpeg
capacitor-pic (resized).jpg
IMG_2617 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

IMG_2617 (resized).JPGIMG_2617 (resized).JPG

Seems like this was probably important. What is it and where did it come from?

#2 6 years ago

That's a capacitor. It looks like the one's used on PC motherboards.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Seems like this was probably important. What is it and where did it come from?

Is it the whole cap cylinder or just the round flat top? Here's what the whole thing should look like from a Nichicon data sheet.

Probably from the PC motherboard...

capacitor-pic (resized).jpgcapacitor-pic (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

The first thought that came to mind for me was the overheating power supply issue. A quick look shows that the caps nearby that inductor are not the same value, though.

cb6c185c26fd8c1bf7e0d05cf0ee2b3bce81dc6d (resized).jpegcb6c185c26fd8c1bf7e0d05cf0ee2b3bce81dc6d (resized).jpeg

#5 6 years ago

I found one in my cabinet too. Could not figure out where it came from but I assumed from under the playfield.

I'll take a picture when I get home.

#6 6 years ago

If it is in the cabinet but not in the metal computer box then it makes sense that it likely came from a board on the playfield. Some places to look at are the opto control boards and the large light boards.

#7 6 years ago

Could it just be something that got dropped in there during assembly and is not from the boards in your machine? Has anyone ever seen a component just fall out of a board? I would think something would have hit the board to have it drop off and in that case the boards should have an obvious ding. I would think if you lost a capacitor it would exhibit some errors in functionality.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Could it just be something that got dropped in there during assembly and is not from the boards in your machine? Has anyone ever seen a component just fall out of a board? I would think something would have hit the board to have it drop off and in that case the boards should have an obvious ding. I would think if you lost a capacitor it would exhibit some errors in functionality.

I can't imagine why a cap like that (if it is the entire cap and not just the lid or something) would be anywhere near the cabinet during assembly in order for it to have been dropped in there. More likely it fell off one of the under PF boards during shipping. This definitely can happen with larger surface mount components if there was insufficient solder paste during reflow or it just didn't adhere well for some reason. That being said I don't really know if that type of cap is even on any of the underside boards as I've never looked at them that closely.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

This is absolutely a SMD capacitor. I use these in my work regularly. It was likely knocked of the pcb board accidentally. A missing cap may not show an immediate error. It really depends on the function of the capacitor. These types of caps (Electrolytic) are commonly used to stabilize line voltage and/or provide a short boost of current. Finally, I think there is a common mis-conception that soldering is like welding and it's not. Although there is a mechanical connection made with solder, it's very weak and breaks easily. The purpose of soldering is to make a good (low resistance) electrical connection not a mechanical connection.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I can't imagine why a cap like that (if it is the entire cap and not just the lid or something) would be anywhere near the cabinet during assembly in order for it to have been dropped in there.

Agreed. This type of cap should only be loose during PCB assembly, which happens at a completely different location from cabinet assembly.

#11 6 years ago

Only caps under the playfield with that design I can find, sits right above the cpu case.

My caps say 100 VFK 515 though

15154310746961424184581 (resized).jpg15154310746961424184581 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Only caps under the playfield with that design I can find, sits right above the cpu case.
My caps say 100 VFK 515 though

That is WOZ 2.0, correct?

OP, do you have a WOZ 2.0 game?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If it is in the cabinet but not in the metal computer box then it makes sense that it likely came from a board on the playfield

It was in the cabinet...however, I realized that this could be from when my power supply overheated, as in Herg's photo. I replaced that board.

Quoted from DCFAN:

What makes something WOZ 2.0, build date?

I'll look around some more to see if I can tell where this came from. The game was on location and blowing fuses (sometimes GI, sometimes coils), so I brought it home to work on it. Might be related, or could be a coincidence.

Sadly, the ceiling in my basement is a few inches too short, so it makes looking around in the cabinet and under the playfield a huge pain (although I'm able to fully raise the PF on all the other games I have).

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The first thought that came to mind for me was the overheating power supply issue. A quick look shows that the caps nearby that inductor are not the same value, though.

You need to open a ticket and see about getting the updated unified power supply board.

LTG : )

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You need to open a ticket and see about getting the updated unified power supply board.

I sure hope that is not his current board as the R88 is fully off and it seems burned. Probably he already got a new one ??

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is WOZ 2.0, correct?

Yes, 2.0

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Mine had been updated, and that's not a picture of my board. It was only an example to show why I originally thought that may be where Ryan's cap came from.

#18 6 years ago

It's the same one. I don't have a 2.0, it's the 7.5v light system.

This may have come off the fish board (WOZLED1) There are a couple of SMT 16v caps on that. Mine was causing problems and had to be replaced.

IMG_20180109_085010 (resized).jpgIMG_20180109_085010 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/found-this-in-my-woz-cabinet?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.