image.jpg
IMG_4966 (1).JPG
IMG_4968.JPG
IMG_4965.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4963.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Decided not to wait for a possible VE so today I visted someone who sold a lotr. Playfield is perfect and everything works. Only some cosmetic work needs to be done on ther cabinet. Made a deal and will pick it up next week. Really happy with it!

#2 9 years ago

my favorite game of all time! never gets old. (unless of course I get to this supposed Valinor part!)

#3 9 years ago

Congrats, KLR.

#4 9 years ago

Well played ... enjoy your LOTR! A bird in the hand ...

#5 9 years ago

Good call not to wait for the VE. I suspect LOTR LE was produced shortly before Stern's license ran out and that doing a VE would involve a fair amount of renegotiation and effort. Might take a while. Great game.

#6 9 years ago

Congrats! It's my fav game.

#7 9 years ago

Best callouts ever! Enjoy!

1 week later
#8 9 years ago

Game is in the house now for about a week and I love it! so glad I bought one and didn't wait for possible VE. After I picked it up I started work on it right away. Things I did:

Overall check, all working oke.
Cleaned everything
Replaced all rubbers with black ones.
Replaced 1 defect led on ring led board
Updated to 10.02
Updates sound to U8
Installed path of the deadth with 6 figures
Installed Palantir mod V5
Installed Mirror blades
Added extra Ring Wraith on horse
Replaced TL light with warm white lamp.

Also bought a NOS playfield and plastic set (just in case) because I never plan to sell this game! It also really fit with my other games ST Premium and Iron Man VE. I really love the theme and the call outs are great. Sound and lights at start of Two Towers MB is awesome!

1 thing I noticed is the area with the red lamps which shows extra ball, 2x scoring etc shows lights etc but I don't see it used really. 1 time I saw extra ball on DMD but the extra ball light was not on.. is this correct ?

anyway...buy one if you want one because its great!

#9 9 years ago

You've been busy!

The Extra Ball light (below the Gimli VUK) should light up.

But, I think you are talking about the Elf Gifts on the left side of the payfield. They only blink when completed a ring mode and stay solid once you have "used" the gift.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

You've been busy!
The Extra Ball light (below the Gimli VUK) should light up.
But, I think you are talking about the Elf Gifts on the left side of the payfield. They only blink when completed a ring mode and stay solid once you have "used" the gift.

Yeah your right! just started to read the rules sheet and found that it's the Elf Gifts.

#11 9 years ago

Great game congrats!!! No picks for us to drool over?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Great game congrats!!! No picks for us to drool over?

sure! thought I didn't bore you all with another LOTR

IMG_4962.JPGIMG_4962.JPG IMG_4963.JPGIMG_4963.JPG IMG_4964.JPGIMG_4964.JPG IMG_4965.JPGIMG_4965.JPG IMG_4968.JPGIMG_4968.JPG IMG_4966 (1).JPGIMG_4966 (1).JPG
#13 9 years ago

where do you get the path of the dead souls?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

where do you get the path of the dead souls?

bought 1 set Nov 2014 and 1 set feb 2015. both on ebay different sellers (I knew already I wanted a lotr).

#15 9 years ago

This is one cool game. Have only played it once, but I think that Ring shot is one of the greatest shots in pinball. So cool!!!!

#16 9 years ago

OP - looks good! Two things to mention. That is one crowded PoTD! They almost look like they are standing in line to use the restroom. You need to get a ColorDMD on this thing yesterday , it makes a world of difference in this game.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

OP - looks good! Two things to mention. That is one crowded PoTD! They almost look like they are standing in line to use the restroom. You need to get a ColorDMD on this thing yesterday , it makes a world of difference in this game.

Yeah I see what you mean, I put 4 more on the outside and 2 inside. reason is I'm afraid airballs will kick them of if I put more on the inside. maybe will shuffle a bit, I do like to use 6 because 3 seems empty.

Color DMD is already in the planning! I have also installed a shaker but have problems to get it work, will try to solve that first before I install the color DMD

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

sure! thought I didn't bore you all with another LOTR

Looks great!! Not boring to me at all.

#20 9 years ago

Looks great now you just need to light gandalfs staff

#21 9 years ago

Congrats. Great game. Great movie and book

#22 9 years ago

Now that's an army!!

#23 9 years ago

Very nice. I just picked up a sweet LOTR this past weekend and loving it!

#24 9 years ago

Love mine

image.jpgimage.jpg
#25 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Color DMD is already in the planning! I have also installed a shaker but have problems to get it work, will try to solve that first before I install the color DMD

ColorDMD is awesome on this game. One of the best mods available.

Shaker motor problems are pretty easy to debug. Start by reading markmon's thread. Then feel free to ask questions. Someone here will be able to help you get it working.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

I have also installed a shaker but have problems to get it work, will try to solve that first before I install the color DMD

Read this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition

#27 9 years ago

thanks guys for the tips and link for the shaker installation but that's the link I used. when I connected the brown wire to pin5 I got a strange smoke/smell so I removed it in a sec (scared the shit out of me but no problems found and game is working fine).

I will make some pics of how I installed the shaker so far.

positive thing I changed the speakers today into Bose speakers, what a difference!

#29 9 years ago

Oke guys I made some pics to show what I did. Can someone look if this is oke ? when I connected the brown wire to the empty pin5 I got troubles. Maybe I did it wrong because I don't have the correct tool.

IMG_4987.JPGIMG_4987.JPG IMG_4988.JPGIMG_4988.JPG IMG_4990.JPGIMG_4990.JPG IMG_4996.JPGIMG_4996.JPG
#30 9 years ago

bump... no one ?

#31 9 years ago

KLR, anytime you see and smell smoke after making a modification, that indicates that something may have burned up during the mod. You may have created a short, blown a fuse, or burned up a transistor? Hard to tell from afar, but it wouldn't hurt to check all of your fuses and the Q12 (?) transistor with a multimeter. (IIRC from the other thread, I think the Q12 transistor drives Pin 5 on the J9 connector on the I/O Power Driver Board?)

Questions:

1) Is that a Stern shaker motor kit? If so, what revision is it? I think there have been Rev A and Rev B kits on the market over the years, but I'm not sure what the differences are? Your shaker motor board looks different than mine, so the installations may not be exactly the same.

2) Is the shaker motor grounded? I can't tell from your photos, but it needs to be, or it won't function.

I suggest you move this discussion to the previously-referenced "Tech" forum thread created by Markmon for more detailed troubleshooting.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition

Post the pics you already have and maybe include a few others, if possible (e.g., ground connection). Also try to address the above questions in your initial post.

I'm sure someone here on Pinside can assist you, but it will most likely come in a "Tech" forum thread instead of a "Found one! Lotr" thread in the "All Pinball" sub-forum.

Hope this helps.

#32 9 years ago

Ordered a ColorDMD for lotr. will arrive tomorrow. Already downloaded the latest lotr 3.3 rom file from colordmd website. Am I correct that that is the only file I need to update ?

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Ordered a ColorDMD for lotr. will arrive tomorrow. Already downloaded the latest lotr 3.3 rom file from colordmd website. Am I correct that that is the only file I need to update ?

Yes, CDMD v3.3 is the only file you need for the ColorDMD.

You'll need updated software for the pin itself, O/S (v8.0?) and CPU (v10.02), especially for the shaker motor.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Yes, CDMD v3.3 is the only file you need for the ColorDMD.
You'll need updated software for the pin itself, O/S (v8.0?) and CPU (v10.02), especially for the shaker motor.

Yeah I already did the rom and sound updates for the shaker.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Yeah I already did the rom and sound updates for the shaker.

I helped beta test the CDMD v3.3. Recommend you try SCAN mode. That's my favorite.

#36 9 years ago

Oke will try that first

#37 9 years ago

Well not my lucky day...

did the installation of the colorDMD... entered the usb drive and updated to lotr 3.3.
Only get 1 color..greenish. so checked the website and they say to check if the serial number is shown in the menu which it is (see picture).

What is also strange is that I miss the option of "mounting" and "color mode" in the menu...

I did flash back again to sigma 3.0 and then back to lotr 3.3 but no luck.
What setting should it be for lotr in the mounting meneu option ? ws or SAM ?

IMG_5047.JPGIMG_5047.JPG
#38 9 years ago

KLR, Randy is very responsive with customer support. Just email him or post about your problem in one of the more current ColorDMD threads. Wouldn't surprise me if he answers within a couple of hours.

BTW, I didn't understand your question:

"What setting should it be for lotr in the mounting meneu option ? ws or SAM ?"

Can you please clarify?

Also, you might want to delete the file, re-download, and install a fresh copy. That often solves a lot of problems.

#39 9 years ago

already send Randy a PM!

What I mean is in step 15 of the manual it says to go into the menu and scroll to the option "mounting" and select WS. I also see options for WPC95 WPC and SAM. So I was curious what to select there for LOTR, is WS correct ?

#40 9 years ago

Sorry, I just followed the installation video ("Firmware Updates") on the ColorDMD website. I didn't have any problems. I'm sure Randy will be able to help you.

I suggest you also email Randy at the ColorDMD support email address listed on the website.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

already send Randy a PM!
What I mean is in step 15 of the manual it says to go into the menu and scroll to the option "mounting" and select WS. I also see options for WPC95 WPC and SAM. So I was curious what to select there for LOTR, is WS correct ?

Ok, I looked at the website, and now I understand what you're referencing. LOTR is a Whitestar game, not SAM, so "WS" is the correct choice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 25.00
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/found-one-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.