(Topic ID: 275735)

Found in pin cab... What is it?

By bobnatlanta

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200917_121154.jpg
    8030A982-C039-445F-BE57-E23B0C53370A (resized).jpeg
    99F4A58C-9553-443C-AD93-52B32810EB60 (resized).jpeg
    Djmh9U2WsAEZfbl (resized).jpg
    lethal-weapon (resized).jpg
    F3225455-5843-4F65-874C-9ACA85734117 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

This was plugged in to the service outlet of my newly acquired Space Invaders. Former owner doesn’t know what it is. No identifying marks, other than the logo on the connector, which appears to read ‘ITS.’ The red button doesn’t do anything to the game. Plugged in/unplugged doesn’t seem to matter. It’s wired to the coin door.

Any ideas?

F3225455-5843-4F65-874C-9ACA85734117 (resized).jpegF3225455-5843-4F65-874C-9ACA85734117 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

Maybe an alarm?

#3 3 years ago

I would want to know what is inside the black box. Take the cover off and see.

Just stop pressing that button. My outside light keeps going on and off when you do that!

#4 3 years ago

Looks like a sensor I’ve seen attached to a Meteor that was used for “touchless” start on the game. The sensor was installed and you’d wave your hand in front of it to register that you wanted the game to start.

#5 3 years ago

Make sure you cut the blue wire first!

lethal-weapon (resized).jpglethal-weapon (resized).jpgDjmh9U2WsAEZfbl (resized).jpgDjmh9U2WsAEZfbl (resized).jpg
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobnatlanta:

The red button doesn’t do anything to the game. Plugged in/unplugged doesn’t seem to matter. It’s wired to the coin door.

If there are credits on the game, does it run them down ?

LTG : )

#7 3 years ago

LuckyDuck-Challenge accepted
    LTG - I could not see any change in the game when I pressed the button.

And I traced the wires, which are spliced into wires leading to the individual coin switches.

8030A982-C039-445F-BE57-E23B0C53370A (resized).jpeg8030A982-C039-445F-BE57-E23B0C53370A (resized).jpeg99F4A58C-9553-443C-AD93-52B32810EB60 (resized).jpeg99F4A58C-9553-443C-AD93-52B32810EB60 (resized).jpeg

#8 3 years ago

Maybe some experimenting. The red button must be an on/off.

I would try pressing it, and see if the game is then on free play, press it and try again.

Next I would press it and put coins in, at least 4 or 8, see if it adds extra credits, press it and try again. Or if when pressed it doesn't allow credits.

#9 3 years ago

There is also the possibility that what ever it did do, doesn't work anymore.

#10 3 years ago

interesting little gizmo.

I tried doing an image search on that logo on the heat-shrink and came up with nothing appears to be "iTS" on some kind of transistor.

"iTS" is also printed on the circuit board so I think they are related.

I wonder if it is some early sort of progressive pricing module

#11 3 years ago

If it goes to the doin door switches, it's probably some sort of counter. Typically seen more often on reimport games. How many coin slots does your game have? Does it have a denomination on the coin slots?

I've seen something similar and while there doesn't seem be any display or connector to attach an outside device, that's how they come. Just a box wired into the coin door. Should be ok to remove it. Not sure why these were needed overseas and no idea how the audits were checked using the boxes. Maybe audits didn't work properly for some currencies?

#12 3 years ago

There was a company, International Totalizing Systems out of Newton, MA. They made "income totalizers that counted how much money was supposed to be in the game. Those products had a counter similar to the game counter seen in many games (before SS circuitry was upgraded for audits). I know of ITS counters having blue plastic cases, but I'm not sure that I know their whole product line.
    .................David Marston

#13 3 years ago

I wouldn't say anything incriminating around the machine until you know for sure what it is! You didn't happen to buy it from someone mob related??

#14 3 years ago

Someone hooked up the garage door opener to the credit switches

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Someone hooked up the garage door opener to the credit switches

Or, you can only open the garage door if you get a high score

#16 3 years ago

Its a Slug Detector! Go Ahead, Put A Slug in there and see what happens!

3 weeks later
    #17 3 years ago

I'm guessing it's a coin counter with some kind of remote communication, so an op knows whether he should collect from that unit or not. That is, if you are on your route, and your coin counter is telling you there's only $2.50 in the coin box, skip that stop. And or, the owner will know what the collector should be reporting for the coin drop.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobnatlanta:

I'm guessing it's a coin counter with some kind of remote communication, so an op knows whether he should collect from that unit or not. That is, if you are on your route, and your coin counter is telling you there's only $2.50 in the coin box, skip that stop. And or, the owner will know what the collector should be reporting for the coin drop.

It's a nice thought, I don't see any wireless tech on that PCB. It was probably made a couple decades before that technology was available or commonplace.

#19 3 years ago

pretty sure dmarston 's response was correct, you can look up the patent

#20 3 years ago

Yep - dmarston - coin counter makes the most sense. I guess it was used to make sure the collections were accurate/location split was right/ops employees were honest with coin drop.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobnatlanta:

Yep - dmarston - coin counter makes the most sense. I guess it was used to make sure the collections were accurate/location split was right/ops employees were honest with coin drop.

Except it only works on silver content quarters. Doh!

#22 3 years ago

I have this one in my Scuba

20200917_121154.jpg20200917_121154.jpg
    #23 3 years ago

I have a flyer for the Lesco totalizer, too.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I have a flyer for the Lesco totalizer, too.

Cool, can you post a pic of it?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/found-in-pin-cab-what-is-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.