Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Paladin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tempest1.jpg
    tempest2.jpg
    DSC02182.JPG
    2306.JPG
    2013-03-29_13-51-15_287.jpg
    2013-03-29_13-51-15_287.jpg
    DSC02165.JPG
    TempestCont.PannelClose.JPG
    TempestPrime.JPG
    TempestCont.PannelClose.JPG
    TempestCloseSideNicks.JPG
    TempestFrontApart.JPG
    TempestRightSideFull.JPG
    TempestKnob.JPG
    IMG_6051.JPG
    DSC02162.JPG
    There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from Paladin:

I've always had uprights but would like to get a cabaret due to the space savings, especially now that Phoenix Arcade has reproduced the cabaret side art.

I've got a cabaret and I'm on the fence about adding the side art that PA made. Part of me wants to keep it original but the other part of me really likes the side art of the upright.

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

WOW, that took a bunch of work. Looks a lot more reliable then the original. Was your cable flaky?

The interconnect cable between the two boards is a very common failure point. It can cause all sorts of bizarre game malfunctions. In my case, the playfield would shrink and look funny. After replacing the cable, it was fine.

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

I've got a cabaret and I'm on the fence about adding the side art that PA made. Part of me wants to keep it original but the other part of me really likes the side art of the upright.

The cabaret art was an option that operators could buy from Atari and Phoenix Arcade printed it from the original Atari screens, so I consider it as close to original as you can get. Admittedly hardly any operators spent the extra money for the art back in the day, so you rarely see a cabinet with it installed.

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from Paladin:

Here's a little game play tutorial I made a while back:
    » YouTube video

Thanks for the video. That was pretty interesting. Nice to know that the reason I never got good at this game was that I didn't want to play it as boring as paste. Similar to "tournament play" on many pinball machines I guess. Gets you to where you want to be, but isn't 'fun' really.

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

The interconnect cable between the two boards is a very common failure point. It can cause all sorts of bizarre game malfunctions. In my case, the playfield would shrink and look funny. After replacing the cable, it was fine.

If you made more how much would you sell them for?

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you made more how much would you sell them for?

Count me in for seriously interested if you decide to make more

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from squareric:

Just picked up a Tempest today for $100. Cabinet's in good shape but needs some video adjustment (some lines malformed). Hopefully an easy fix.

Without seeing it, can't be sure, but sometimes problems with the lines can be bad capacitors on the display. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do a re-cap kit.

#108 10 years ago

We have a party in the morning and I had a Pokey chip go bad on my Tempest. That's the bad thing about not being head long into vids as I am pins. I have no spare parts laying around

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Thanks for the video. That was pretty interesting. Nice to know that the reason I never got good at this game was that I didn't want to play it as boring as paste. Similar to "tournament play" on many pinball machines I guess. Gets you to where you want to be, but isn't 'fun' really.

Haha! I understand what you're saying, but believe me it gets quite fun and frantic when you get to the yellow levels and beyond. I consider the blue and red levels as nothing more than a warm up. Once you get tankers that turn into fuseballs in your face and have to time your movements to the rhythm of the pulsars, you won't think it's so boring!

Not my web page, but some good tips here:
    http://www.smalltalksystems.com/clayberg/arcade/tempest_tips.htm

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/found-a-nice-tempest/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.