Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by jorro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

128316bf4b8cf79fabe6550f957a505f (resized).jpg
IMG_1843 (resized).JPG
IMG_1866 (resized).JPG
IMG_1187 (resized).JPG
IMG_1186 (resized).JPG
IMG_1185 (resized).JPG
IMG_1184 (resized).JPG
IMG_1183 (resized).JPG
urunresimalt_04_09_2014_17_09_191 (resized).jpg
IMG_0309 (resized).JPG
IMG_0308 (resized).JPG
IMG_0307 (resized).JPG
IMG_0304 (resized).JPG
66b84aa657cdb76115a2b961196394a6 copy.jpg
ArkSand (resized).jpg
lotr-trololololol (resized).jpg

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 months ago

This was an interesting one to get it. Never opened, I'm not planning on opening it. Not sure what the batteries could be in there but awesome to get this in from 28 years ago.

MustangPlayboyPirates 018 (resized).JPG

MustangPlayboyPirates 017 (resized).JPG

MustangPlayboyPirates 016 (resized).JPG

MustangPlayboyPirates 019 (resized).JPG

MustangPlayboyPirates 020 (resized).JPG

#2 11 months ago

noice.

but

open it and play it

#3 11 months ago
Quoted from ScoreOne:

I'm not planning on opening it

I say open it! I don't think not opening it would add any value? I'd like to hear the story of how you came by this one!!

#4 11 months ago

What if something is missing? What if it is just a wooden box inside full of bricks?

I would want to open it and play it....geez...at least open it and see how pretty it is. I just don't get the fascination with leaving it in a box. To me, that's not a pinball hobbyist.

#5 11 months ago

Very cool!

No way in a million years could I look at that box every day and not open it and play it.

#6 11 months ago

I plan on selling it to someone that wants a NIB Playboy. I'm not planning on keeping this one in my collection, so I'll let whoever gets it have the fun of pulling out 28 year old staples and getting the first look at this baby since it's been at the factory. It came from an operator that saved it for many years. Not sure of the reason but he just never opened it up.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

Very cool!
No way in a million years could I look at that box every day and not open it and play it.

I am with you. I have no self-control when it comes to certain things.

#8 11 months ago

There is a certain amount of decomposition with 28 year old games that are still NIB. The rubbers will literally turn to either goo or petrify. The bulbs could be worthless. The game most likely will have to be shopped out once its pulled and set up. I have a friend that collects unopened NIB classic games and he taught me a lot about old NIB games and their true condition to be played. You might need a Classic NIB buyer to get top dollar.

#9 11 months ago

I would open it too. How many times in a lifetime will you get to experience something like this? But like whthrs166 said, it might be a mess inside. Not sure what kind of buyer and how you can price something like this, not knowing the condition of what's inside.

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from ScoreOne:

It came from an operator that saved it for many years. Not sure of the reason but he just never opened it up.

How did you not ask him why...???!!!............Joey

#11 11 months ago

I'm gonna need pics of the shooter lane.

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Not sure what kind of buyer and how you can price something like this, not knowing the condition of what's inside.

There's a chump born every day, and those chumps will buy it just because it's ERMAGERD NIB. They don't care that half the game is rusted or a 300 buck board is covered in acid (and those DE boards are almost impossible to repair after acid damage thanks to their stupid way of handling the grounding traces around the battery area)...they have enough money to just buy whatever they need, and to make it appear out of thin air if it's seemingly unobtanium.

OP probably realizes that the thing is going to have issues and may not want to tackle that much of a problem...if that's the case, there's no reason to fault him for it...I certainly wouldn't want to either, especially not for Playboy! NIB Time Machine....that might be a different story....

#13 11 months ago

We bought some years ago

Some were perfect and others corroded, lucky dip?

#14 11 months ago

a virgin playboy bunny, what a dream!

#15 11 months ago

Leonard: No! Once you open the box it loses its value.
Penny: Yeah, yeah, my mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. I gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

hqdefault (resized).jpg

#16 11 months ago

would it have batteries in it? they are bound to be leaking acid all over it...

#17 11 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

There's a chump born every day, and those chumps will buy it just because it's ERMAGERD NIB. They don't care that half the game is rusted or a 300 buck board is covered in acid (and those DE boards are almost impossible to repair after acid damage thanks to their stupid way of handling the grounding traces around the battery area)...they have enough money to just buy whatever they need, and to make it appear out of thin air if it's seemingly unobtanium.
OP probably realizes that the thing is going to have issues and may not want to tackle that much of a problem...if that's the case, there's no reason to fault him for it...I certainly wouldn't want to either, especially not for Playboy! NIB Time Machine....that might be a different story....

In almost 20 years in this hobby I've NEVER heard an old NIB vault game horror story. JOhn's Jukes was selling 20-30 year old NIB Black Knights for years and they were always gorgeous. Boards were always fine. Even rubbers looked beautiful.

It makes for nice copy but if you buy an ancient NIB game, you are going to get a beautiful game despite what the seers of doom may predict. Because the game has been sitting in a box in storage. The OP probably realizes the game is worth more in the box to the right person than it would be opening it.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

would it have batteries in it? they are bound to be leaking acid all over it...

The absolute worst case scenarios here - acid on a board or rubber that needs replacing (GASP!) are complete non-issues for a buyer of a novelty like this. Boards are plentiful, reproduced, plentiful, and relatively cheap. Regardless, seen plenty of photos of 20-30-year old games being unboxed and the batteries are ALWAYS fine. Who know? Maybe they made 'em better back then.

#18 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

In almost 20 years in this hobby I've NEVER heard an old NIB vault game horror story. JOhn's Jukes was selling 20-30 year old NIB Black Knights for years and they were always gorgeous. Boards were always fine. Even rubbers looked beautiful.

that's pretty funny considering HEP has posted about restoring a NIB game that was covered in rust, but hey...you're the Jesus Christ of pinball, so I guess I'll just discard his opinion for yours. =P Totally agree that to the right person, it's worth more in the box and with condition unknown.

#19 11 months ago
Quoted from ScoreOne:

Not sure of the reason but he just never opened it up.

Must be nice to be able to just forget about something this size!!

#20 11 months ago
Quoted from wayout440:

What if something is missing? What if it is just a wooden box inside full of bricks?
I would want to open it and play it....geez...at least open it and see how pretty it is. I just don't get the fascination with leaving it in a box. To me, that's not a pinball hobbyist.

Nope that's a collector, and a rich one at that.

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Nope that's a collector, and a rich one at that.

Well, IMO - someone else is going to buy it for the same reason, same story...and likely profit the seller. Passing around an expensive, heavy cardboard box from one "collector" to another. Whoopee

#22 11 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

Totally agree that to the right person, it's worth more in the box and with condition unknown.

Thanks!

#23 11 months ago

Nice find!

#25 11 months ago

Hey, maybe the buyer will get lucky and some game other than Data East Playboy will be in the box!

#26 11 months ago
Quoted from Knoler:

Hey, maybe the buyer will get lucky and some game other than Data East Playboy will be in the box!

A NIB Tommy. That could bring the bucks...

#27 11 months ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

There is a certain amount of decomposition with 28 year old games that are still NIB. The rubbers will literally turn to either goo or petrify. The bulbs could be worthless. The game most likely will have to be shopped out once its pulled and set up. I have a friend that collects unopened NIB classic games and he taught me a lot about old NIB games and their true condition to be played. You might need a Classic NIB buyer to get top dollar.

Why would the bulbs be worthless?

I have bought 50 year old games with the original bulbs that still work fine. So I'm curious as to why bulbs would go bad sitting in a socket without any electricity. Is it a quality issue with the bulbs used by Data East?

Please elaborate.

Thanks!

Marcus

#28 11 months ago

lmao hilarious...no valid point or effort made to refute that, but two downvotes from no-name posters with barely 750 posts between them.

lotr-trololololol (resized).jpg

#29 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It makes for nice copy but if you buy an ancient NIB game, you are going to get a beautiful game despite what the seers of doom may predict. Because the game has been sitting in a box in storage. The OP probably realizes the game is worth more in the box to the right person than it would be opening it.

The absolute worst case scenarios here - acid on a board or rubber that needs replacing (GASP!) are complete non-issues for a buyer of a novelty like this. Boards are plentiful, reproduced, plentiful, and relatively cheap. Regardless, seen plenty of photos of 20-30-year old games being unboxed and the batteries are ALWAYS fine. Who know? Maybe they made 'em better back then.

this is true. My time machine I had, had original DE batteries on it, still zipped tied in, and they still worked. And that game is about the same era as this. Good chance they are not leaking.

#30 11 months ago

Pretty box.

#31 11 months ago

So whats so exciting your just trying to make money on it. Put it in the market place for sale. If your not going to open it and enjoy it you just have a heavy box.

#32 11 months ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

So whats so exciting your just trying to make money on it. Put it in the market place for sale. If your not going to open it and enjoy it you just have a heavy box.

The guy is a retailer. I have some experience with this - making a good profit will be more exciting to him than opening up the box. I'd love to know what he paid for it but of course that's none of our business.

Those games are still out there and it's pretty amazing!

#33 11 months ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

That's just it, there is nothing exciting about it...UNTIL THE BOX IS OPENED.
Otherwise, it's a refrigerator sized piece of cardboard that people exchange to make a buck on. At least if it was a collectible in a clear plastic blister pack you could see the damn thing.

#34 11 months ago

For me that's like finding a Yugo with zero miles.

#35 11 months ago

Have I missed something. Since when is keeping pinball machines in the box a thing?

#36 11 months ago

Was this the one from the other day on Facebook?

#37 11 months ago
Quoted from Philk:

Was this the one from the other day on Facebook?

coin-op warehouse I think.
I saw it on FB as well.

#38 11 months ago

Why buy a box that you're never gonna open?

#39 11 months ago

Some people dont seem to understand capitalism....he is buying and selling a commodity, nothing more nothing less.
Just because its a pinball doesnt change anything....

#40 11 months ago

Nice!
Now someone set the ta tas free!!!

#41 11 months ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Some people dont seem to understand capitalism....he is buying and selling a commodity, nothing more nothing less.

AGREED! 100%

If I hear some calling the purchase a collectible for resale "scalping" again... I am going to vomit.

#42 11 months ago

My concern would be planking on the playfield. Based on the OPs location and 28 years of storage, there is a good chance that this pin spent some winters in an unheated midwestern warehouse. You won't know until you open it.

#43 11 months ago

Who knows? We all know what happened when they opened the crate from under the stairs in Creepshow.

#44 11 months ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Why would the bulbs be worthless?
I have bought 50 year old games with the original bulbs that still work fine. So I'm curious as to why bulbs would go bad sitting in a socket without any electricity. Is it a quality issue with the bulbs used by Data East?
Please elaborate.

It really depends on the humidity, how the game was handled, and how it was stored. All ?s that baby has been sittin for a long time. Its really common sense: When you open a NIB game it is moved inside a dwelling or business where the temperature is controlled and there is a roof overhead. A game in a box is kept in many different places moist concrete basements, storage facilities ect... The bulbs and holder rust and filaments go bad.

#45 11 months ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I understand capitalism. Guess the owner doesn't like the title or he would of opened the box.

#46 11 months ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I have bought 50 year old games with the original bulbs that still work fine.

@xerico 50 year old games. Thats cute lol.
Lets go for 70 or 80. But youre right. Bulbs are fine

-Jeff

#47 11 months ago

Saw "playboy" and expected to see some box. Thread delivers.

#48 11 months ago

I think the OP is afraid that its messed up and would rather sell it as is and be off the hook. If it's good that's fine, if it's nasty that's fine too as long as he doesn't know beforehand.

#49 11 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I understand capitalism. Guess the owner doesn't like the title or he would of opened the box.

Or he could love the title, profit on the NIB sale, buy a nice example of playboy since there not hard to get and move on.....again it seems as though just because its a pinball it must be treated differently...

#50 11 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Or he has kids. I have a stern Playboy that is going up for sale as soon as i shop it out. .. and my wife would not be thrilled to see my 12 year old playing it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 126.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 157.00
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.95
£ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
$ 219.99
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,699.00
$ 8,699.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside