(Topic ID: 87507)

FOUND - 1975 Gottlieb El Dorado - (Price Check?)

By 2FlippedOut41Mo

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

joy-ride.gif
wink.gif
IMAG0127.jpg
IMG_3217.jpg
th-6.jpeg
IMAG0122.jpg
IMAG0120.jpg
IMAG0121.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 2FlippedOut41Mo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

IMAG0121.jpgIMAG0121.jpgIMAG0121.jpgIMAG0121.jpgIMAG0120.jpgIMAG0120.jpgIMAG0122.jpgIMAG0122.jpg
Hey guys, I have a friend who has this 1975 Gottlieb El Dorado sitting in his house. His uncle bought it brand new, and it was in his music shop for years. When the store closed, the pinball machine went into a storage room in a garage, and has sat up for 15-20 years. For it's age, it looks to be in good condition. It powers up, but is stuck on TILT. This is going to be my first (non-working) project. I want to offer him a fair price, but I'm not sure where to start. I have no idea how much it will take to get it going. Any input is appreciated.

#4 10 years ago

I want to say the count was 200,000 something, maybe 3.

#6 10 years ago

There used to be a guy that serviced it for his uncle when he had it, but he has since passed; thus, the servicing on this pin ended. There was still an old service note pad from the guy inside the coin door! Being that it hasn't been working in 15-20 years, I was thinking of offering him $300-$400. I'm comfortable with that price because I'm not quite sure what it's going to take to get it up and running again. Again, I'm not looking to get over on him at all, but I don't want to overpay. The inserts had some cupping, but the playfield itself seemed to be in average condition. A slight problem we came across - there is NO key to the backbox, so I have no idea what it looks like back there.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Thoroughly check the inside of the bottom cabinet for the backbox key (including the possibility of it having slid underneath the score motor board - can swipe under that with a ruler or such). There's also a wire hook on the backside of the coin door to hang that key (but the key's usually not there). If there's an envelope with the schematic/manual, check all through there too. But, not a big deal to drill the lock either.
300-400 for an El D. would be a dream find for most wedgehead collectors.
You'd get a lot more input over on the EM Hangout sub-forum though.

Thanks for your insight, Dirt. I checked all over that cabinet (including the clip on the coin door) for that damn key yesterday - no go. I'm fairly new to posting in forums. How do I link this thread into the "EM Hangout sub-forum?"

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for your help, Dirt. I moved this over to the EM Hangout.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

$300-400 is bargain of the century!

I picked up a fully-working "Alien Poker" at the Texas Pinball Festival for a cool $500, so I figured $300-$400 for a non-working project would be sufficient. I know that "Alien Poker" is nowhere near the rankings of "El Dorado" on the fun-meter on Pinside, but still.

#15 10 years ago

Initially, my friend wanted me to come look at it to see what it would take to get it fixed, but his partner wants it gone because they want to make a closet out of the room that it's sitting in. This is funny - His partner told me when I was going over the pin, and naming off what I thought it may take to get it up and running, "I'll sell it to you for $50." I laughed and told him I couldn't take it for that price, because I knew it was worth more. He replies, "No, you don't understand, I'll PAY YOU $50 to take it out of here!" It was funny to watch them bicker, but I couldn't do that. This is a friend through friends, and I'm too honest of a person to take that offer. At this point, I'd like to have some kind of estimated "budget" that it would take for it to work again. My friend says that when he does sell it - whether it's before or after the closet situation - it's mine. More than likely, I am just going to take it and start working on it for him until he is ready to part with it. Being that it was his uncles, there's that sentimental value to it. Also, he looks at it as a neat "piece." His partner, on the other hand, wants that "eye sore" to GO! Lol

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It's always hard to tell from photos but if this is HUO then it is a rare find. Again hard to tell without looking at it but backglass appears to have the red lettering intact. A quick look at the back of the backglass will reveal a lot. The reds fade/peel real bad on this title so if they haven't, that is a real bonus. Shoot some more info/pictures as prices can vary massively depending on various factors.

My initial review of this backglass was that it was flawless. I was blown away that there were no visible scratches or peeling seen from the front side. You're right, though. Until I get that back off, there's no way to be 100% sure it's as good as it seems. I figure the backglass alone (if it's in as good of condition as I think it is) is worth at least $150-$200, right?

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

well, 2 things....
- what a system 6 williams sells for really isn't overly relevant to the pricing of a highly popular em game...
- imo, people unfamiliar with em games tend to overvalue "working"... as long as the machine is complete, you will find that most em collectors place "working" down the valuation scale, and cosmetics (especially bg and pf) at the top of it... it isn't like a solid state machine, where "non-working for an unknown reason" can turn out to be a painfully expensive fix...
iow, a non-working machine with strong cosmetics is well higher on the value scale than a working one with average cosmetics...
all of the above imo, ymmv, etc.

Great point. I guess I have to look at the EM's like an old car. The engine can be tuned-up, but the original body is worth its weight in gold.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

you sure it's not 20 or 30 thousand, not 200-300 thousand? previous comments by others about it having some pf damage/wear (which it does) notwithstanding, it doesn't seem to show enough wear to have that many plays on it... lalso, that would be an amazing number of plays for a game that has the history you described...
i'm not saying it isn't possible... just seems a bit unlikely... i have been deceived by pictures before...

If there are 6 places on the reel, then I want to say yes. I may be mistaken, but I want to say that number started with a 2 or 3. If there are 5 places on the counter, then I am definitely wrong. I will shoot him a text and get back with you on that. That does seem like an awful lot of plays now that I think about it.

#31 10 years ago

Yes, I am just a young Paddowon when it comes to learning the way of the restore. I guess Arcade would be Yoda, and KingNine, hmm, Chewba... nah, I guess I'll give you Obi Wan Kenobi.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

It can't be 200,000 or more.
That playfield and drop targets would be beat to hell.
Those drops look almost new to me.

When I text him earlier, he said he thought it was 200,000 something when we looked, too. I am waiting for his text back with photo's of the counter.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Darn. The only way I'll get this from him is to find a PinBot and trade him. It's his weakness lol.
BTW MikeO, I'm Arcade's brother and I wouldn't exactly call us Guardian Angels. It is with help from people such as you, O-din and Dirt (just to name a few) that have got us going on the right path fixing these great machines.

Yes, I have a soft spot in my heart for the PinBot games. My vision is to have all 3 in a lineup one day.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I just looked at the counter in my Quick Draw, produced in the same year as ED, and it is 6 digits. Still, 200,000 plus plays is a crapload. It shouldn't look that good if truly that many plays but I've seen stranger things.
Mike O.

I'm still waiting on a text back for confirmation on that count. When texted him earlier, he thought we saw 200,000 on the counter, too, but he was going to double-check when he got home and send me a pic.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Let us know what you find!

th-6.jpeg 15 KB

LOL! Brilliant! Right on time.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

It's good to have phone a friends when working on your first EM.

I've been paying them with fresh-caught flounder every time they've come out to help with Fish Tales. I'm just about out of fish.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Hey, That fish is Delicious.
I will try to get by sometime this week to help with those bridge rectifiers on the Fish Tales.

Sounds good. Just shoot me a text whenever. Side note: I just ordered that plastic piece that was broken on the right side of the boat. It's been a hard to find piece. I probably overpaid, but I haven't been able to find it til now. It's been bugging me. I should probably search the Fish Tales forums on here and see if anyone knows what's up with that Caster's Club rinky-dink assembly.

#42 10 years ago

IMG_3217.jpgIMG_3217.jpg

203077 - It's the Final Countdown!

#44 10 years ago

He says his uncle said that kids would bang away on that thing all day for 15 in his record shop. The guy who used to service it must have known what he was doing. I think it's in great shape for that many plays, right? I'll try to go by and get more pics this weekend.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My Tacoma has over 160,000 miles on it and still looks and runs great. A little maintenance and care and a quality build in the first place can go a long way. I'm not saying Gottlieb is the Toyota of the pinball world, or maybe I am...

My '07 F-150 4x4 just made it to 204,789 (Runs like new, too). What are the odds my truck has just as many miles as this pin has plays? It's almost meant to be. The stars are aligning, the planets are....well, there was a Blood Moon. Good enough. Signs, man. Signs! Science!IMAG0127.jpgIMAG0127.jpg

#50 10 years ago

Arcade and KingNine - I'm going to try to set up sometime later this week to bring ya'll to go see it. I'm thinking we should offer to take it and start working on it, and see what he wants to do later down the road. I am anxious to start trouble-shooting and learning the process. The closet situation over there is coming, and it WILL be ours when the time comes. I really want to play it and see what it's all about. I know ya'll don't have room for another at the house, so one of those pins may have to rest out here while this goes on. What do you say?

#52 10 years ago

Poetry in motion.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

As long as we have access to play it all is good.

You know my door is always open, and I stay up late.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

OK. dare I say then that Gottlieb is the Ford of the pinball world?

Pretty sure we can give Ford to Gary after Mustang's release.

#58 10 years ago

joy-ride.gifjoy-ride.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 2FlippedOut41Mo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/found-1975-gottlieb-el-dorado-price-check?tu=2FlippedOut41Mo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.