(Topic ID: 209681)

Fossil Fuels - is the USA getting left behind?

By vid1900

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Yoski
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1970s-los-angeles-smog-depicted-in-the-honda-short-film-never-ending-race_100457095_h (resized).jpg
download (1) (resized).jpg
agqFU-1456338742-2059-list_items-telegraph.gif
IMG_4077 (resized).PNG
nyc-taxi-1_3504833k (resized).jpg
phpjc5202.gif
00wyoming4-master675 (resized).jpg
screen_shot_2013-03-11_at_15.31.01 (resized).png
black-lung-display-edit-62f8859fdf7947f25bb389dd4bde094bae966c67-s900-c85 (resized).jpg
bladerunner.gif
DumpsterFire2 (resized).jpg
203_co2-graph-021116 (1) (resized).jpeg
totala (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider habo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago

Its a little bit of a pessimistic view but I don't believe everyone on the planet will be able to move away from using dirty energy sources fast enough. Were already seeing drastic climatic change with extreme weather events. How bad will it have to get before people realize we need to change? I remember a quote from Michael Crichton's Lost World - Its not save the planet but save us. We may be the ones responsible for our own extinction.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

the planet has survived this long with global catastrophes and mass extinction in its 4.5 billion years. i doubt our parasitic species will put a dent in it.

Your right. The world will out live us. That's my point.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

people will eventually be extinct no matter what we do...

Why hurry the process?

#30 6 years ago

bladerunner.gifbladerunner.gif

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

I would not mind seeing a few more coal plants a burning. Cheap consistent energy. Plus it helps the local economy around here.

Unfortunately, coal & charcoal is one the dirtiest most inefficient fuel sources. Coal dust eventually destroys your lungs working around it.

black-lung-display-edit-62f8859fdf7947f25bb389dd4bde094bae966c67-s900-c85 (resized).jpgblack-lung-display-edit-62f8859fdf7947f25bb389dd4bde094bae966c67-s900-c85 (resized).jpg
screen_shot_2013-03-11_at_15.31.01 (resized).pngscreen_shot_2013-03-11_at_15.31.01 (resized).png

#49 6 years ago

phpjc5202.gifphpjc5202.gif

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There are simple things that we can do right now. The easiest thing to do is start recycling. If your city / township offers weekly recycling pickup take advantage of it.
Once my wife and I started recycling we were amazed by just how much of what we throw away is recyable. I would say that 70-80% of what we throw away per week can be recycled.

Recycling
Changing what you eat
Using your car less and driving differently
Changing all lighting to leds/fluorescent

Lots of things we can do.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

As it sits, renewable cant put a dent in our usage, even at max output, so no one wins but the large oil companies. Renwable energy also doesnt pay what oil pays, and i like making a living. As fatdirk says, the waste is crazy. Spending hundreds to save dimes. I always say we would be bankrupt if it was anything other than oil!!!

Like everything, the more newer technologies that use alternative and clean energy become available the price will lower. Oil companies have a lot influence not to promote these. The Government has a lot to do with enforcing/not enforcing clean energy policies also. I'm not a hippy/tree hugger type but the writing is on the walls for us it we continue down this road. Major changes for a lot of people are coming.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/12/world/sea-level-rise-accelerating/index.html

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider habo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fossil-fuels-is-the-usa-getting-left-behind?tu=habo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.