(Topic ID: 7330)

Forward Nudge or Sideways Nudge for Outlanes?

By Crashdance22

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jackofdiamonds
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How should a player nudge to avoid outlane drains?”

• Forward nudge 17 votes
      61%
    • Sideways nudge 11 votes
      39%

(28 votes)

#1 7 years ago

I've been trying out the forward nudge lately, but this can sometimes bounce the ball off the dividing wireform and into the outlane. Which method do you think is best?

#2 7 years ago

depends on the type of outpost, angle ball is entering at, how good you are, how sensitive the tilt is set ...

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

depends on the type of outpost, angle ball is entering at, how good you are, how sensitive the tilt is set ...

Well said, +1 on that. If you do a forward nudge at the wrong time you could very easily kick it into the out lane the exact opposite thing you want to happen. I think the forward nudge takes a better timing and more finesse to execute but really depends on the situation/setup of the game.

#4 7 years ago

I like to do a forward nudge when the ball is about to hit the top of the slingshot. If timed correctly, it will propel the ball away from the area. The side nudge comes in handy when the ball is already bouncing near the outlane, and it looks like it's going to drain.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I would say both depending on what the ball is doin

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The side nudge comes in handy when the ball is already bouncing near the outlane, and it looks like it's going to drain.

Big +1 on that.

#7 7 years ago

Good post, maybe I'll experiment a bit.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Yeah exactly, but for the most part I am nudging forward when the ball comes anywhere near an outlane.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I've been trying out the forward nudge lately, but this can sometimes bounce the ball off the dividing wireform and into the outlane. Which method do you think is best?

Crashdance, if the lane divider has a rubber post you want to nudge forward so the ball goes off the post and out of that area. If you are forward nudging but the ball is still bouncing around the inlane/outlane, you aren't nudging hard enough.

If there's no rubber, like on a toughened up tourney game, you have to nudge a bit harder.

If the ball is already settling in the in/out lane area, then side to side is needed, but ideally you don't want to put yourself in that position to begin with because no matter how good you are it's tough to reliably recover the ball.

On many EMs there is just a simple wire divider. Unfortunately, they are very good at dissipating force and a forward nudge is often useless. On these you need to anticipate the balls travel and slide the game left/right as needed to get the ball into the inlane.

#10 7 years ago

If the ball is in the outlane use side to side nudging.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

if the lane divider has a rubber post you want to nudge forward so the ball goes off the post and out of that area.

Pretty much right on...
    Always try to be "proactive" rather than just "reactive" when the ball gets bounced around on the slings, it's just a matter of time before it wants to go cruising downtown via the "scenic" route...
    I will usually include a little bit of side when using the forward nudge on a (outlane) floating ball.

With that being said...
    I find that if the ball is heading towards an outlane and is pretty much a "guaranteed" drain- trying to get the inlane under it (or at least a piece of it!) before the ball actually reaches the post/divider usually works better than the forward nudge. The ball is after all "WILD", so use "Eye-Geometry" whenever you can... Sometimes it is a tiny shift, sometimes it takes moving the machine!
    One TILT warning won't hurt...

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Always try to be "proactive" rather than just "reactive" when the ball gets bounced around on the slings, it's just a matter of time before it wants to go cruising downtown via the "scenic" route...

I think it may have been Bowen who said that when the ball gets going between the slings he likes to nudge the game forward to help get it out of there. This is some great advice, as most players just passively watch in utter helplessness.

2 months later
    #13 7 years ago

check the sticky at the top of the forum...great video up for your question up there.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

+1

#15 7 years ago

As many have said, both are appropriate depending where the ball is and what it's doing... For me, typicaly forwards initially to try and bounce the ball away, and if it's hovering above the outlane, sidways is all that can help...

It should have been a multiple vote option poll, because personally I really can't decide on either...

#16 7 years ago

I tend to "push".Very rarely do I go side to side.So I'll vote forward since it's what I do most often.Scott

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8,000.00
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside