Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Medisinyl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I think it would be cool if they could make games that would interest a younger audience such as a Fornite theme perhaps? I know that if my son and all my sons friends saw a Fornite pin in my house they would go completely insane! It's so damn popular and I hate to admit this but... I like playing it too LOL

It could possibly reach a broader audience, and get younger demographic possibly into the hobby? It doesn't have to be Fornite... But think of all the popular things out today kids like Call of Duty...Pokemon things like that...
    You probably can make a pin that is pretty amazing that anyone would like! I don't know though, and I could be totally off base here and completely naive to think those can be popular I dunno, just a thought...

#2 4 years ago

Don't think it would matter. I have all my kids favorite themes and only 1 of them likes to play pinball.

She choose the Munsters Premium as her favorite pin.

They could care less about Gaurdians of Galaxy or any other theme

#3 4 years ago

Not sure how that would play out, but I’d take a Dragon’s Lair pin...

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

Not sure how that would play out, but I’d take a Dragon’s Lair pin...

Love that! Dragons and pinball go great together IMO

#6 4 years ago

I'd agree pinball needs to reach a younger demographic but not that young. Kids aren't going to stop playing Fortnite long enough to play a pin about Fortnite.

The new target demo should be millennials as they're actually the ones plunking down quarters in barcades.

#7 4 years ago

SkillShot In my head the name should obviously be called Battle Royale - They can have the characters with parachutes coming down, the play field items can look like the buildings being built etc... You can have loot around ... I can seriously envision the whole play field in my head and it looks amazing in my head lmfaoo

#8 4 years ago

benheck True. I didn't think about that!

#9 4 years ago

Pinballs are mostly made for the middle-aged and older people (mostly men) with disposable incomes. This us why we keep seeing "older" themes like munsters, willy wonka, Elvira, black knight etc coming out.

First rule of sales is to go where the money is.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:Pinballs are mostly made for the middle-aged and older people (mostly men) with disposable incomes. This us why we keep seeing "older" themes like munsters, willy wonka, Elvira, black knight etc coming out.

I hear ya and you're right! ha... Man I wish I had a disposable income lol

ectobar I should have known better that I wasn't the first person to think this up lol I said Fornite but, it could be anything that relates to a "younger" demographic. ya know what I mean...

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Pinballs are mostly made for the middle-aged and older people (mostly men) with disposable incomes. This us why we keep seeing "older" themes like munsters, willy wonka, Elvira, black knight etc coming out.

@daditude You are so right ... and these types of games definitely appeal to me... because I am in my 40s. Brings me back to my childhood. Willy Wonka and ET were my absolute obsessions!

But, I have seen a lot of talk around here about it not appealing to certain demographics and maybe a change in some modern type games can help? Who knows as I said I could be completely naive in thinking that way!!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

This exactly. I think if they ever did make a video game pin that it would have to be a good story based game and Fortnite isn't that. Maybe a Red Dead Redemption, GTA, Resident Evil, Drakes Fortune, Tomb Raider, games like that could possibly work but just like Daditude said....you have to target the correct audience and i doubt video games would be a big hit for the masses. Movies and music seems to be where its at.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

This exactly. I think if they ever did make a video game pin that it would have to be a good story based game and Fortnite isn't that. Maybe a Red Dead Redemption, GTA, Resident Evil, Drakes Fortune, Tomb Raider, games like that could possibly work but just like Daditude said....you have to target the correct audience and i doubt video games would be a big hit for the masses. Movies and music seems to be where its at.

Who-Dey But, if you try to hit a different demographic, and put them in places like benheck said where millenniums are maybe it would appeal to them?

I think all of the games you said above would be sick pinball machines! Resident Evil specifically... When I used to play that game at night... in the dark it used to scare the crap out of me BTW lol

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinupgirl1975:

who-dey But, if you try to hit a different demographic, and put them in places like benheck said where millenniums are maybe it would appeal to them?
    I think all of the games you said above would be sick pinball machines! Resident Evil specifically... When I used to play that game at night... in the dark it used to scare the crap out of me BTW lol

A Resident Evil pin would be sweet and i would buy it, but most guys my age dont play video games anymore. Silent Hill would be another good one, Fallout, Bioshock etc.

#15 4 years ago

Also i could be wrong but as far as tounger people go i just dont think they are that interested in pinball. We have a few locations in the Cincinnati are but everytime i go nobody is playing the pinball machines hardly.

#16 4 years ago

This isn't exactly well researched, but I feel I have a decent sample size.

My wife and I have 4 kids under the age of 10. We have a game room in our house that has roughly 10-12 pins at any given time with a wide variety of themes. To give a general idea we've had Ghostbusters, Nascar, Metallica, and Simpsons in the past. Currently, Avengers, WWE, Star Wars, Walking Dead, Stern POTC, Iron Maiden are the modern pins. Most of these themes kids can identify. We also have a dedicated gaming area that has several monitors each with it's own Xbox One. Immediately we get to see decision making happen in real time with what kids want to play.

We've hosted several youth team parties, other hangouts with friends whose children ranged from 4-16 years old, neighborhood kids hanging out with my kids. We're talking probably 150+ different kids have been in this game room. It never fails, the kids never care about the pinball. Across the board, the most common reason I hear is "it's boring." Sure some of them will start a game and play one ball, but that's it. A lot of them don't even bother getting that far with it. It simply does not resonate with the majority of them at all, no matter what the theme is. Out of those 150+ kids, 1 has stuck it out and kept playing occasionally and that's my 2nd oldest son. That's literally it. The ones that come back again, never play the pins a second time, never ask questions. But they sure do want to know if they can hop on the Xbox or PS4.

#17 4 years ago

Pinball is for people who are done with videogames.....

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

This isn't exactly well researched, but I feel I have a decent sample size.
    My wife and I have 4 kids under the age of 10. We have a game room in our house that has roughly 10-12 pins at any given time with a wide variety of themes. To give a general idea we've had Ghostbusters, Nascar, Metallica, and Simpsons in the past. Currently, Avengers, WWE, Star Wars, Walking Dead, Stern POTC, Iron Maiden are the modern pins. Most of these themes kids can identify. We also have a dedicated gaming area that has several monitors each with it's own Xbox One. Immediately we get to see decision making happen in real time with what kids want to play.
    We've hosted several youth team parties, other hangouts with friends whose children ranged from 4-16 years old, neighborhood kids hanging out with my kids. We're talking probably 150+ different kids have been in this game room. It never fails, the kids never care about the pinball. Across the board, the most common reason I hear is "it's boring." Sure some of them will start a game and play one ball, but that's it. A lot of them don't even bother getting that far with it. It simply does not resonate with the majority of them at all, no matter what the theme is. Out of those 150+ kids, 1 has stuck it out and kept playing occasionally and that's my 2nd oldest son. That's literally it. The ones that come back again, never play the pins a second time, never ask questions. But they sure do want to know if they can hop on the Xbox or PS4.

Ive had young girls and guys over in their 20's and ive only found one to like pinball. The girls stand there and flip a few times with a very bored look on their face and then walk away in the middle of the game. They literally don't like it enough to play 3 balls.

Take that back, i did have 3 teenage kids one time over ranging from age 13-18 and they were brothers and they actually had a blast. Other than those three though most of them dont care about pinball anymore than a man on the moon.

#19 4 years ago

Kids today do not have the attention span.

If its not a first person shooter with micro-transactions they aren't interested.

They'd rather bug their parents for 5 bucks so they can buy a new outfit for their character.

I used to ask for 5 bucks so I could go to the arcade....

#20 4 years ago

@daditude You are so right ... and these types of games definitely appeal to me... because I am in my 40s. Brings me back to my childhood. Willy Wonka and ET were my absolute obsessions!
    But, I have seen a lot of talk around here about it not appealing to certain demographics and maybe a change in some modern type games can help? Who knows as I said I could be completely naive in thinking that way!!

I definitely don't think you are naive. I agree that they should try to appeal to younger audiences...and in some ways they have...especially with mass appeal games like gotg and deadpool.

These manufacturers are all about the almighty dollar, however, not to longevity of the hobby.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ive had young girls and guys over in their 20's and ive only found one to like pinball. The girls stand there and flip a few times with a very bored look on their face and then walk away in the middle of the game. They literally don't like it enough to play 3 balls.
    Take that back, i did have 3 teenage kids one time over ranging from age 13-18 and they were brothers and they actually had a blast. Other than those three though most of them dont care about pinball anymore than a man on the moon.

Our Christmas party is about the only time the adults start playing pinball. Admittedly they have some liquid courage built up at that point.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

Our Christmas party is about the only time the adults start playing pinball. Admittedly they have some liquid courage built up at that point.

The lack of interest is kind of weird. I always wonder why i love it so much and no one else cares.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The new target demo should be millennials as they're actually the ones plunking down quarters in barcades.

In another thread reports of Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy being an operator's top earners. I think those themes have that demo dialed in.

Old man themes seem to sell to collectors.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

Potatoloco Liquid Courage helps people do a lot of things LOL

#25 4 years ago

potatoloco Liquid Courage helps people do a lot of things LOL

I'll drink to that! It's almost got me killed more times than i can count.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

The lack of interest is kind of weird. I always wonder why i love it so much and no one else cares.

My assumption is that most that are unfamiliar with pinball believe "they're all the same" and are too shy or stubborn to give them a chance--not just a play, but a chance to learn the depth of any game (I've witnessed several 180s from people that have visited, crapped on any potential interest in pinball, then got addicted, so it's hard to gauge true interest by demeanor and ignorance).

With LCD screens, there's no reason to not include goals as they exist on Pinball Arcade (with a setting option to reset each time play isn't continued, to entice longer arcade play as you collect goals)--if it weren't for those goals in Pinball Arcade guiding me to the wizard modes, I may have been just as lost and overwhelmed. It was pinball arcade that got me into collecting real machines.

Arcades should have signs on top of each machine laying out numerous goals to goad patrons into playing with a purpose, preferably with a narrative that challenges the reader and offers some storyline.

As for Fortnite...I'm 34 and have no idea what it is and generally prefer 2D games from the NES/SNES era as far as consoles are concerned. Would love a "retro" Castlevania, MegaMan, or better Mario pin...amongst many others from that era. I'd think something like Pokemon would bridge age gaps better if trying to interest a young audience (though admittedly I may be completely aloof to the age-span of Fortnite, yet have never heard my peers talking about it). Tons of people in their 30s and older love Pokemon (not sure if licensing is just too expensive as it makes sense to target kids at the same time as those that can afford games)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fornite-and-similar-themed-pins-?hl=potatoloco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.