Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ReadyPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have searched these forums and the web in general for the best approach to cleaning a formica playfield. I have a '62 Williams World Series that I am looking to clean. While I do see several topics related to general cleaning, I wanted to focus in on formica here. If I am missing topics that already cover this, please steer me that way.

Ok - so what I have read mostly points to formica being an easier surface to clean than some of the other alternatives. General concepts I have found:

* Cleaning can be as simple as warm water and a mild cleanser (dawn dish soap), though you don't want to overdo it on water, particularly near the edges where water could be absorbed.

* A highly-recommended, general-purpose formica cleaner/polish is Jubilee Kitchen Wax. This seems to be an easy 1-stop for formica.

* A slightly more involved (but probably longer lasting) approach is a Carnauba paste wax such as Meguiar's Gold Carnauba Paste Wax

* I do see some mention of Novus 2 as a cleaner, but it seems you want to be conservative with the use here due to abrasives, and you want to apply directly to the cloth, not the playfield

* Seems Millwax should mostly be avoided due to abrasives

Let me know what you think of the above. On other general cleaning, it sounds like Novus1 is good for cleaning plastics (like my ramps). And I have seen a decent bit of coverage on cleaning playfield rubber.

Thanks in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Looks like you got it right.

From Formica themselves:

1. Use a clean, damp, nonabrasive cotton cloth and a mild liquid detergent or household cleaner. Clean the soiled area using a rotating motion.
2. Next, rinse with clean water, using a clean, non-abrasive cotton cloth. Please take care not to flood the laminate, especially near seams, since water can penetrate and cause the substrate to swell.
3. Dry the surface with a soft, clean, non-abrasive cotton cloth.

I use Blitz Wax, a great Carnauba wax for pins and bowlers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/formica-playfield-cleaning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.