Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Stack15
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm a former SM owner, you know the expression hate to let her go. But fact is at the time I sold it, I was contemplating the release of SMVE.

Just prior to selling I bought TSPP and just now I bought Met pro (for about the sale price of SM) so I'll consider Met pro as my SM replacement.

What I'm thinking, now that SMVE is out soon, do former owners miss SM or have newer titles like TWD, GOT, (future TH, Alien etc..) displaced SM on the got to have it meter.

So if you could say why'd you sell SM, do you miss it, do you plan to re-buy it?

I had SM and I have a medium-large collection, I didn't find myself playing SM more than average. I played it less than average. And it wasn't in my collection as long as PotC, Tron, AcDc or XMLE. So it was more of a newcomer like ST and TSPP and IMVE.

#2 8 years ago

i sold it because game times were just too long - loved all the shots, but every game was almost 1 hour long on the hard settings. i loved the game - but never played it because of the time factor. i will not buy it again. thanks ed

#3 8 years ago

Sold mine for many of the same reasons that Ed sold his, way to long ball times and I suck as a player. Plus I never cared for the DMD show the way they did it and to me it was just another fan layout with the upper right flipper like always. I held onto it for like five years because everyone loved it so much but it just never did anything for me. I sold it with zero regrets and bought a CV instead with zero regrets.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

i sold it because game times were just too long - loved all the shots, but every game was almost 1 hour long on the hard settings. i loved the game - but never played it because of the time factor. i will not buy it again. thanks ed

Remove the center post, install lightning fliippers.

Even then though I'm not huge into the game. It's fun but I'd get bored playing it often due to how easy and safe it is to get to multiball with Doc Ock (and then working Black Suit locks while in Ock). Becomes grindy with little challenge.

#5 8 years ago

A lot of what you guys said is also what I think.

I was thinking do I think to re-buy SM or get something new like TH or Alien when they are released. I know the SMVE will probably have nicer dots but the actual gameplay will be the same old.

While people will say Tspp is a long game, Simpsons never seems like a grind to me.

#6 8 years ago

I rebought SM recently and am very glad I did. It's one of my fav games and one of the only pins my two sons will play consistently with me without getting bored.

#7 8 years ago

SM is the only machine I've sold so far that I miss and would want another one day

#8 8 years ago

I honestly don't miss it at all....but I would consider getting the new version if the art, sound, and dots are all stellar.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I honestly don't miss it at all....but I would consider getting the new version if the art, sound, and dots are all stellar.

I don't either..

#10 8 years ago

no center post, no outlane post rubbers and side posts all the way up - clean and waxed, hard settings, you can make it play hard. You will still get the occasional long game but nowhere near what you would with the original settings, its a keeper for me.

#11 8 years ago

Way too long ball times. Once I got to Super Hero the game sat years unplayed.

Also the dots were terrible...

#12 8 years ago

I enjoyed Spider-Man - drove nearly 1,000 miles round trip to get it. I bought it before prices skyrocketed - paid $3,200 and then they started selling on here for $5,500 a few months later. It was my third ever game and it just made me nervous to have friends and kids banging on it at times. So it left and the profits got reinvested into quanity and not so much quality. I would like to own it again; however, the shots in Star Trek are pretty similar. And Star Trek is a better theme to me personally.

I thought I may sell something and buy NIB Spider-Man VE. But I also thought people were just being silly when they said it would be at a higher price point. Now it actually is at a higher price point and I don't really get it. I may sell and try to pickup someone's 2007 or 2010 instead. I haven't figured that out yet.

But yes, the actual game really wasn't too hard after you got the hang of it. I got to where I could "beat" it maybe one out of every ten plays. The center post makes it easier than it should be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.95
$ 25.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/former-sm-owners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.