Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by crlush
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vacheater.jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Forgive me if this has been posted already, but I came across this really interesting kickstarter for a premade vacuum former. It's obviously too small for ramps, but I can see it being used to make smaller reproductions of things like the mountains on white water and such. It's projected cost is $350.

I thought it was neat, and would share it with you guys.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1094489804/formbox-a-desktop-vacuum-former-that-makes-beautif

#2 7 years ago

Saw that as well. Haven't been able to make out if useful or not given the small form factor.

#3 7 years ago

I don't know much about them, but a friend had a hobby vac former that he used for plastic model kits. Formbox seems a bit pricey, and small, compared to some of the others out there.
    http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=35&Click=2&gclid=CPG06qbY3swCFQmqaQodrjAJaQ

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

It's projected cost is $350.

350 definitely seems pricy compared to making one yourself. Granted the DIY one will not look as nice, but will have the potential to form a larger size for less $

#6 7 years ago

Does it have the plastic heater built in on the top?

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

Does it have the plastic heater built in on the top?

Looks like it does, seems you only need to supply a vacuum.

#8 7 years ago

You can definitely do this cheaper.

To heat your plastic, use a infrared heater. Most thermoplastics absorb it readily and heat up excellently. Another plus side is that IR heat only heats up things that absorb it.

You can make a nice reflector box that you set the plastic on top of, and it warms it up appropriately.

Here is my awesome drawing of it. I suggest this because it's way better than using your family's oven to heat thermoplastic, and also not constrained by the size of your oven.

vacheater.jpgvacheater.jpg

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You can definitely do this cheaper.
    To heat your plastic, use a infrared heater. Most thermoplastics absorb it readily and heat up excellently. Another plus side is that IR heat only heats up things that absorb it.
    You can make a nice reflector box that you set the plastic on top of, and it warms it up appropriately.
    Here is my awesome drawing of it. I suggest this because it's way better than using your family's oven to heat thermoplastic, and also not constrained by the size of your oven.

Think what you describe is in the link I linked.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Think what you describe is in the link I linked.

Good call! Sorry about that. sd_tom is correct. The video in his link is exactly what I'm talking about. This is probably the video I learned it from (from sd_tom's link):

#11 7 years ago

Wolfmarsh that is a sweet drawing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/formbox-vacuum-forming-kickstarter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.