(Topic ID: 891)

Formatting Tools

By jrrdw

14 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

Is the option available in these style forums? Formatting tools for example bold/italic/underlined/colored and re sizable text. Code tags would be nice as well, for example image/URL/video/picture and named links, (URL tags normally work with naming link they just need minor alteration).

Just a thought. What do you readers of this idea think?

#2 14 years ago

If you scroll down to the yellow block under the posting box, you can see which tags are allowed.

But wait, let me test it out, to make sure they all work, since I have never seen them used:

<blockquote>Blockquotes may come in handy!</blockquote>

Renders:

Blockquotes may come in handy!

Links are automatically rendered. I use no tag to show this link: http://www.pinside.com

However, the 'a' tag is allowed allowing you to do this

<a href="http://pinside.com">pinball</a>!

which renders this:

pinball!

We also have ul and ol with li:

<ul>
    <li>List item a</li>
    <li>List item b</li>
    <li>List item c</li>
    </ul>

Renders:

• List item a
    • List item b
    • List item c

But you could also use ol to get an ordered list.

Code can be done with backticks. If you're a coder you should be able to find that character:

This is some code
    I hope it formats well

I have never felt the need for <b>bold</b> or <i>italics</i>.
    But if there is a good reason to do so I would happily implement it for you!

#3 14 years ago

Thanks Robin, I printed this out so I'll have the instructions on how to use these on Pinside. A bit different then what I'm used to, just like my instructor told us, "In computers there is 3 different ways to skin a cat.". Poor cat lol.

If your a coder.

No, I'm not a coder by any means, I have a hard time with script in command prompt.

The ' a' href="blah blah">link name'a' tag that I'm used to using is : [url=blah blah]link name[/url], really different.

Now I'm wondering how is it such different code/tags do the same thing?

#4 14 years ago

Well the commands described in my post are all basically your standard HTML tags. I have just decided not to support them all

For example, <font> and <h1> and other tags like that allow people to do crazy stuff in their post, but are often mis-used. I decided to keep the forum posts as clean as possible - usability is key here!

The url tag you mentioned is not part of a real standard but often used in forums. It is kind of like the language "markdown" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown). It creates a new kind of formatting language which supposedly is easier to use. I don't fully agree (although the previous version of the Pinside website had a story editor that worked with this type of formatting).

13 years later
    #5 1 year ago

I am trying to publish a manual for a home ROM as a set of Pinside posts. For this it would be useful to be able to use bold and/or italics to mark specific key words. At the moment I am using CAPS and fixed font for this, but bold and italics stand out more.

Much more importantly, I have not found a way to make a table with vertically aligned columns. The simplest would be to have a fixed font available. I was hoping to use to the backtics for this, but the backtics compact any white space.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from idealjoker:

For this it would be useful to be able to use bold and/or italics to mark specific key words.

You can use < strong > bold < /strong > and < em > italics. < /em >

(remove spaces from tags)

#7 1 year ago

Thanks! Anything else that is not documented in this thread?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/formatting-tools and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.