Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    coloroptions.jpeg
    purplerails.jpeg
    blackchrome.jpeg
    wagon.jpg
    candyred.jpeg
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

Pretty damn close. And is more durable. I'm doing my mm rails in it. I'll take a pic when done. Look at the pic with the bottles. One is chrome powder. You can't tell it's not real chrome. That's the base coat. Then brass colored clear Is put over that to make the brass look. From more than a foot away you can't tell the difference. And it's cheaper than brass too.

#52 11 years ago

Holy shit. Just hit 20k karma and pin master

#53 11 years ago

so many things i'd like to do but does your service is available for us up in canada, i guess the cost for shipping will be too high?
    if you can, how does it works and the price?

#54 11 years ago

Price is whatever the conversion rate is and you pay the shipping . Not sure how much more it is in CDN to be honest. You can PayPal the cash and it will handle the exchange rate

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Sure, a Metallic blue or Metallic black is a 2 stage. Price is above. I can certainly do it and i have the tools to disassemble it too. I did a chrome shooter handle for a pinsider on an STTNG just recently.
    Goto http://www.prismaticpowders.com and pick a color. Any color works
    The only thing i wont powder on that is the trigger button (I can buff it out though so it looks good) If i powder the button it tends to tighten the trigger as the tolerances on it are real tiny so there isn't really room for an extra layer.

My shooter handle from STTNG came out beautiful!! Check out my post for pics. Wish I had some before and after shots because the black coating was really worn and Alex totally pimped it out in a polished chrome!

Thanks again for everything. Just need to get some extra dough to do the rest of the pieces in that nice baby blue for STTNG.

#56 11 years ago

You going to be doing the MM rails anytime soon?

Yes that bottle does look nice.

Didn't you mention you could not do the IJ ramps in the powder due to polishing issues on the inside area of the ramps?

#57 11 years ago

I can do the wireforms and I could powder the the ramps too but I wouldn't powder ramps. They take too much of a beating.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

You going to be doing the MM rails anytime soon?
    Yes that bottle does look nice.
    Didn't you mention you could not do the IJ ramps in the powder due to polishing issues on the inside area of the ramps?

I'll be doing my MM soon as the new rails arrive. I ordered some brand new rails yesterday. Probably be doing them next week.

#59 11 years ago

Hopefully my gold parts will be there and you can run them all together, they should ship out to you tomorrow. Thank you again for offering such an awesome service at such great prices.

Quoted from Pinchroma:I'll be doing my MM soon as the new rails arrive. I ordered some brand new rails yesterday. Probably be doing them next week.

#60 11 years ago

You may have answered this but this is all powdercoat in prices and not playing. Do you plate? And if so what is the price for a single wireform?

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

You may have answered this but this is all powdercoat in prices and not playing. Do you plate? And if so what is the price for a single wireform?

I do plating but its quoted individually. Not as cut and dry as powder

#62 11 years ago

Alex: I don't see pricing on Black Chrome mentioned in your original post; single stage or two?

And what about shipping costs?

Awesome work man!

#63 11 years ago

Alex,

Do you have prices with you supplying the parts?

I was thinking if others are interested maybe we could do group buys with you supplying everything to us assuming we meet the min qty order.

IE when you do Tron you may have enough interest to run enough orders for 5 machines and save some setup etc..,

I would be in on a group purchase for chrome, blue or red. I have an Elvis and T3 I want to do and any of those colors would work

Elvis - Chrome, Red or Brass

T3 - Chrome or Blue

#64 11 years ago

Let me know when you're doing a batch of clear brass over chrome(or whatever color is closest matching to LOTR wireforms). I'm interested in doing the lockdown, legs and rails.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Alex: I don't see pricing on Black Chrome mentioned in your original post; single stage or two?
    And what about shipping costs?
    Awesome work man!

Black chrome is a 2 stage. Gloss mirror black is a single.

You pay shipping. I'll use whatever carrier you want.. USPS/UPS/FEDEX.. makes no difference to me. Different rates to different locations.

#66 11 years ago

Let me know when you're doing a batch of clear brass over chrome(or whatever color is closest matching to LOTR wireforms). I'm interested in doing the lockdown, legs and rails.

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Alex,
    Do you have prices with you supplying the parts?
    I was thinking if others are interested maybe we could do group buys with you supplying everything to us assuming we meet the min qty order.
    IE when you do Tron you may have enough interest to run enough orders for 5 machines and save some setup etc..,
    I would be in on a group purchase for chrome, blue or red. I have an Elvis and T3 I want to do and any of those colors would work
    Elvis - Chrome, Red or Brass
    T3 - Chrome or Blue

I can absolutely do a group buy for that stuff I would just need the money up front though. I wouldn't want to buy 2-3k worth of legs/rails/bars/etc.. and be stuck with them

For example if the folks getting new trons wanted black chrome, i could do that and save everyone probably 50-75 bucks on the coating itself (no idea on the parts i would have to check into bulk buy discounts) but i wouldn't mark any of that stuff up. Whatever the parts cost they cost..

#68 11 years ago

Alex,
    What would a lockdown bar and wireforms in transparent brass and gun handle in chrome for a williams IJ cost? How much is return shipping? Also how quick would turnaround time be?
    Thanks,
    Al

#69 11 years ago

Transparent Brass is a 2 stage so:

$35 for the lockdown bar
    $110 for the wireforms. (This may be cheaper but I quote it flat on the high side because each game is different)
    $35 for the Handle (Chrome Powder - Like on the bottle in the picture).

No idea what shipping would be to be honest? 20 bucks maybe?

#70 11 years ago

alexlevy, I was checking with Terry @ PBL and he does sell some "raw" pieces. I would be interested in a "group buy". I was looking at picking up an extra set of items so that I could have it shipped out to you to be Black Chromed...

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

You pay shipping. I'll use whatever carrier you want.. USPS/UPS/FEDEX.. makes no difference to me. Different rates to different locations.

Some follow-ups please:

1. My stainless rails are undented but have some typical scratches--thinking of Black Chrome; is this a coating that covers minor imperfections or does one think of this process like a paint job (where the surface must be made perfect first; if so do you remove the scratches or do I)?

2. How do you recommend shipping rails to make it there undamaged?

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

alexlevy, I was checking with Terry @ PBL and he does sell some "raw" pieces. I would be interested in a "group buy". I was looking at picking up an extra set of items so that I could have it shipped out to you to be Black Chromed...

I will definitely run a group buy but it won't be raw stuff. You will have to send me your parts.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Some follow-ups please:
    1. My stainless rails are undented but have some typical scratches--thinking of Black Chrome; is this a coating that covers minor imperfections or does one think of this process like a paint job (where the surface must be made perfect first; if so do you remove the scratches or do I)?
    2. How do you recommend shipping rails to make it there undamaged?

It will cover scratches no problem. Dents will look bad though

Shipping rails can be easy or difficult. B/W rails which don't have the button armor go right in a cardboard poster tube wrapped in bubble wrap.

The ones with the button armor need to be put in a long square box. Also makes shipping a bit more expensive.

#74 11 years ago

Clarifying question, but are shipping prices included or separate for your price quotes? I assume separate but wanted to be sure.

thanks,
    e

#75 11 years ago

Separate Ed. I included shipping for the first few people including yourself to get some stuff started

#76 11 years ago

Alex,

Your generosity and patience in offering these services to the pin community is appreciated.

I carried the torch for another hobby for many years, passing along the work at cost as a service, so I know the undertaking in time and resources you are putting out there.

Thank you.

cheers,

rody

#77 11 years ago

Alex,

Just curious on the "Transparent Brass", does it oxidize like brass? Would I have to Brasso it every so often like "regular brass"?

When you say more durable, is it more scratch resistant?

Thanks for the time in answering questions.

#78 11 years ago

No it's powder. It won't oxidize at all. Looks like brass. Durable like powder coating. Everything can scratch. Depends on what you are putting it on Its more durable than say brass on a lockdown bar.

#79 11 years ago

All parts including aprons and coin doors are packaged and will be shipped tomorrow morning. Thank you again for providing this to a your fellow pinheads.

#80 11 years ago

I would be interested in a group buy if Terry could ship directly to Alex. Just seems easier for everyone, although I have a different color in mind for Tron.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I would be interested in a group buy if Terry could ship directly to Alex. Just seems easier for everyone, although I have a different color in mind for Tron.

man that would be cool and when it's done alex could ship it straight to me (of course i'll pay whatever it cost).

4 weeks later
    #82 11 years ago

Hey Guys,

A new color Sparcoal (Sparkle Charcoal) is available. I just mixed it. It's essentially black chrome sparkle. It's dynamite. A pinsider had his AFM done in it and the parts on are their way back to him. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#83 11 years ago

How much to do transparent brass on my LOTR? Whole machine (with new side rails with the flipper button protection? PM me.

3 weeks later
    #84 11 years ago

Is the price that you quoted for the wireforms per piece, or for all of them on a machine?

#85 11 years ago

thanks for the update. great work.

1 week later
    #86 11 years ago

Alex, can you talk about the candy colors a bit? They're two stage, is that a basecoat + clear, or do you have to lay down a metallic coat, with a transparent color over it like a traditional candy paint job?

Either way it sounds like we don't need to have parts completed polished before hand, just clean, is that correct? So your basic NIB legs quality.

#87 11 years ago

theres 2 types of candy.

2 stage transparents and 3 stage dormants.

2 stage is either a metallic or bright (chrome style, 95 +/- depth) under coat and then a partially transparent top coat to allow the under coat to shine through a bit.

Dormants can be either 2 or 3 stage. 2 stage dormants follow the same as above except the dormant is the bottom color with a clear as the 2nd stage.

3 stage is a base coat (black, chrome silver, etc) then a transparent dormant, then a clear.

NIB legs require prep regardless. NIB black stern legs for example need to be stripped/blasted. New BW legs still have that coating/chroming to them that needs to be sand blasted off.

The only ones that need no prep are the raw legs/rails you can get from one of the vendors here (I won't say who) and even then i blast them to make sure the substrate is even.

Here is a pic of parts that have been stripped and blasted. image.jpgimage.jpg

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

theres 2 types of candy.
    2 stage transparents and 3 stage dormants.

Is there a visual difference between the two? I understand traditional candy paints and how you layer them over metallics

(ie http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/K-1506-M/)

but is there some upside to the dormant style?

NIB legs require prep regardless. NIB black stern legs for example need to be stripped/blasted. New BW legs still have that coating/chroming to them that needs to be sand blasted off.
    The only ones that need no prep are the raw legs/rails you can get from one of the vendors here (I won't say who) and even then i blast them to make sure the substrate is even.
    Here is a pic of parts that have been stripped and blasted.

Sorry, I meant that we don't need to polish to chrome level finish first, but I get the process now, so ignore that part!

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Is there a visual difference between the two? I understand traditional candy paints and how you layer them over metallics
    (ie http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/K-1506-M/)
    but is there some upside to the dormant style?

Sorry, I meant that we don't need to polish to chrome level finish first, but I get the process now, so ignore that part!

Everyone's definition of candy is different. People think all metallics are candy. The truth is candy colors actually have very little flake. A bit but not a ton. They are extremely rich deep colors and the metallic is used to accent that depth not to be the focal point : )

#90 11 years ago

There Are no upsides or downsides to either. It all comes down to a color you like and the process for that color to come to fruition.

#91 11 years ago

Alex was thinking about using your service for 3-4 pins. Can you recommend what gold color to use for LOTR, what radiation bright green color for simpsons pinball party and a nice bright yellow for family guy maybe something like the Ferrari yellow and last but not least the best light shiny blue to match the Tron scheme? I look at all your color choices and feel its hard for me to choose the right one looking at a computer screen. Any help to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

#92 11 years ago

Go to prismatic colors website. They will send you swatches of some colors so you can get a real visual for the colors. I just ordered some swatches. Took like 3 days to get them. Now I just need to finish stripping my game to get all this stuff to Alex.

#93 11 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

Alex was thinking about using your service for 3-4 pins. Can you recommend what gold color to use for LOTR, what radiation bright green color for Simpsons Pinball Party and a nice bright yellow for Family Guy maybe something like the Ferrari yellow and last but not least the best light shiny blue to match the Tron scheme? I look at all your color choices and feel its hard for me to choose the right one looking at a computer screen. Any help to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

Exactly what Whridls said. I can make recommendations but I don't want anyone to be disappointed if i make a recommendation and it doesnt come out exactly as you planned.

Tron is an interesting one. I was going to go with something dark like sparcoal but everyone wants something different.

Take a look at the green color in "Hey Fattrain" thread or the color i did for idtattoo on his MB.

3 months later
    #94 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

The issue with a larger oven is space. And I'm running out . I will definitely get a small electric oven... I just need to find a good one (not necessarily used) to fit in a corner. My media blaster takes up a ton of room too. Not including the 12 bath/plating tubs and my buffing room.

Really! You mean Espo??

#95 11 years ago

Those are Espo's pictures right off his site!!

#96 11 years ago

I'm going to start sending my games to HEP but I'll claim I did all the work in my "Shop".

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from Exejet:

Those are Espo's pictures right off his site!!

Its the same people guy.

#98 11 years ago

exejackoff, such an asset to the community

#99 11 years ago

Exejet come on...... Leave it.

#100 11 years ago

Lol. It's cool guys. Everyone knows he's just trolling for attention.

Hopefully the mods act

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/formal-powder-coat-pricing/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.