Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    coloroptions.jpeg
    purplerails.jpeg
    blackchrome.jpeg
    wagon.jpg
    candyred.jpeg
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Folks,

I finally got a chance to sit down and figure out formal pricing for all powder coating on standard machine parts.

There are 2 types of powder:

Single Stage (Gloss Black, Matte Black, Gloss Red, Matte Red, Etc).
    Two Stage (Transparent Brass, Super Chrome Powder, Candy Apple Red, Candy Apple Green, Metallics and Flakes, etc..)

So here goes:

Legs: Single Stage - $30 Each. Two Stage - $35 Each.
    Lockdown: Single Stage - $30. Two Stage - $35.
    Lockdown Assembly: Single Stage $30 Two Stage - $35.
    Rails: Single Stage $20 Each. Two Stage - $30 Each.
    Hinges*: Single Stage $25 Each. Two Stage - $35 Each.
    Shooter Housing: Single Stage $10. Two Stage - $15.
    Gun Type Handle (STTNG, Shadow, DM): Single Stage $25 (Each). Two Stage - $35 (Each)
    Habit Trails/Wireforms**: Single Stage $90. Two Stage - $110.
    Coin Door - Coin Frame - Coin Slots***: Single Stage $90. Two Stage - $120.00

*: For all parts that are factory powder coated (Like Hinges or Stern Lockdowns/Legs) add $5 per part for existing paint/powder removal. Sandblasting and Deburring takes time

**: This is a flat fee regardless of machine. It is too difficult to quote out each machine individually given the wide range of trails/lengths.

***: Coin Door requires Sandblasting so add $10 to the cost for it.

Discounts are available for whole machines. (Rails, Lockdown, Legs, Hinges,Coin Door, etc.)

Thanks for all the business guys!

-Alex

#2 11 years ago

P.S. For available powder colors/options goto:

http://www.prismaticpowders.com

-Alex

#3 11 years ago

Hey Alex, I saw you mention something about ceramic coating for under the playfield parts, can you give some more info about that?

#4 11 years ago

Hope I fall in love with Rollergames because I have a ton of ideas to use this.....

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

P.P.S - Fattrain - Got those wireforms for that project pin. Going to look insane. 2-3 weeks they will be back to you.

AWESOMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!

#6 11 years ago

Alex, can you put together a similar list for chrome and brass plating?

Thanks

#7 11 years ago

Just to clarify On the rails. DMD rails are smaller than system 11 and all the early Bally Williams rails and gottliebs. Are these the same price? 20 a side for single stage?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Just to clarify On the rails. DMD rails are smaller than system 11 and all the early Bally Williams rails and gottliebs. Are these the same price? 20 a side for single stage?

Same price. Its more the labor than the powder.

#9 11 years ago

Would be fun to coat my FT/T2 guns...

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Hey Alex, I saw you mention something about ceramic coating for under the playfield parts, can you give some more info about that?

I did some testing, turns out ceramic is good but not better than silver matte PC on underside parts. Both are a corrosive barrier which is what you are doing for. Those I would quote out individually as each machine is vastly different on what parts you would send over.

#11 11 years ago

Considering the amount of powder coating I have had done over the years. For cars, motorcyes and pinball machines The prices that he is doing this for is crazy awesome Also the alex understands what we need and how things go together and function is invaluable. Thank you doing this, considering these are break even prices, this is an awesome opportunity. My three machines worth of parts will be enroute shortly. Nothing like a perfectionist and pinhead doing our powder coating.

#12 11 years ago

I'd like to get my ST:TNG shooter powdercoated by Alex.
    Can someone recomend something cool...like a Mettalic Black/blue? I thought I saw a HEP restoration a few years back where he had done something like that.
    Dan

#13 11 years ago

Sure, a Metallic blue or Metallic black is a 2 stage. Price is above. I can certainly do it and i have the tools to disassemble it too. I did a chrome shooter handle for a pinsider on an STTNG just recently.

Goto http://www.prismaticpowders.com and pick a color. Any color works

The only thing i wont powder on that is the trigger button (I can buff it out though so it looks good) If i powder the button it tends to tighten the trigger as the tolerances on it are real tiny so there isn't really room for an extra layer.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from haunted1:

Considering the amount of powder coating I have had done over the years. For cars, motorcyes and pinball machines The prices that he is doing this for is crazy awesome Also the alex understands what we need and how things go together and function is invaluable. Thank you doing this, considering these are break even prices, this is an awesome opportunity. My three machines worth of parts will be enroute shortly. Nothing like a perfectionist and pinhead doing our powder coating.

Thanks! Can't wait to get them. Just mark which parts get what colors.

As idtattoo says these prices aren't marked up. They are done at cost for the community.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I did some testing, turns out ceramic is good but not better than silver matte PC on underside parts. Both are a corrosive barrier which is what you are doing for. Those I would quote out individually as each machine is vastly different on what parts you would send over.

Cool, I am out of town but I will get in touch this coming weekend. I may decide to go balls to the wall and get all the playfield hardware done on my f-14.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Thanks! Can't wait to get them. Just mark which parts get what colors.
    As idtattoo says these prices aren't marked up. They are done at cost for the community.

Very cool Alex, very excited about the options ... and that you're pretty close by. I'll take it drop-off is an option?

Regards,

Brian

#17 11 years ago

Absolutely. I can meet you at the shop if you wanted too.

P.S. I am coming by your place to play a few games. Never played a funhouse in person and i love the hell out of it on pinball arcade

#18 11 years ago

More pics coming soon

I sprayed a demo red candy on some scrap for you iron man owners recently to see what it would look like:

candyred.jpegcandyred.jpeg

#19 11 years ago

OoOoOO La La! Sexy Red! Can't wait to see more and more pics of the awesome powdercoating bro!

P.S. Like that wagon pic you sent me. I've never stared at a pic of a "wagon" more in my life

#20 11 years ago

OoOoOO La La! Sexy Red! Can't wait to see more and more pics of the awesome powdercoating bro!
    P.S. Like that wagon pic you sent me. I've never stared at a pic of a "wagon" more in my life

LOL for Context into what fattrain is talking about:

wagon.jpgwagon.jpg

#21 11 years ago

Quite a few of you have asked for "Black Chrome" While I don't do black nickel because its caustic and i'd rather not mess with it, I do this instead. And in my opinion is a hell of a lot better (and no finger prints)

blackchrome.jpegblackchrome.jpeg

#22 11 years ago

What can I say man? Those colors are just gonna look BAD ASS on my TFTC

#23 11 years ago

The red is sweet looking. So is the black.... So is the wagon... Dammit.

#24 11 years ago

I hope those Black Chrome rims are not going on the green and purple wagon ROFL j/k...

Nice work... I really like the Black Chrome. Has anyone had a whole machine done in the Black Chrome ?? I would love to see pics... I am wondering how this would look on my TRON PRO...

#25 11 years ago

Coincidentally my tron pro is going to be done in it when it comes

Or the blue T bar color, cant decide.

coloroptions.jpegcoloroptions.jpeg

#26 11 years ago

What can I say man? Those colors are just gonna look BAD ASS on my TFTC

I found a closeup of the purple..

purplerails.jpegpurplerails.jpeg

#27 11 years ago

Anyone know if / where you can get "raw" Stern parts ??

I know PBL has the Sega/Stern Raw Legs - Set of 4. But the Coindoor, Lockdown bar, side rails are black, and the Backbox Hinges are chromed... It would be awesome if I could get a set of "raw" parts as it would save time and $$...

Sega/Stern Raw Legs - Set of 4
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2176

#28 11 years ago

Man this is some great Pricing! We may have to use some of this! I also might hit you up on some stuff for my Motorcycles!

#29 11 years ago

JJ. Send me whatever you want brother

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I found a closeup of the purple..

DROOOOOOLLLLLLL

#31 11 years ago

Are aprons on the list?

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Are aprons on the list?

Aprons are 35 single stage and. $50 2 stage. +10 bucks to blast. Most people don't do them because the decals may not be available. I have no problem doing them if you want them done. Obviously not the stern plastic ones though

#33 11 years ago

For my WH20. Decals are available at Treasure Cove. Thanks!

#34 11 years ago

Oh, no........reading this before bedtime and now I will be imagining all the parts coming off my games! Anybody have a cool suggestion for a fishtales reel?

#35 11 years ago

I could imagine the green on that wagon looking great on the ball lock wheel. Wouldn't even need a decal

#36 11 years ago

Can you do small items from playfields?

#37 11 years ago

Yes but it's not cost effective for me to fire up the oven for ball gates. If its with a bunch of other parts of the same color absolutely.

To just pc a few small pieces from the PF would cost me a ton and I would have to pass that cost on.

My oven is 12'wx14'dx10'h and powder sets at 400 degrees far. That's why it's mainly a 2-3 week turnaround because I batch parts of the same color together in the oven.

What some people don't realize is you can't put 2 different colors in the oven at the same time. They cross pollinate and you end up with a Dalmatian

#38 11 years ago

Gotcha. Thanks

#39 11 years ago

http://i.imgur.com/JYRMr.jpg

Here's a pic of my newly installed oven. I roll chassis into it

#40 11 years ago

Wow. Very nice and huge.

#41 11 years ago

Couldn't you get a used oven off CL for free / cheap for "smaller pieces" ??

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Wow. Very nice and huge.

Thats what she said...

sorry, I couldn't help it. Just too easy I had to take a swing.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Or the blue T bar color, cant decide.

Black Chrome all the way!
    Quorra wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything else!
    Make it so, Alex.
    Stern should have done the LE's like that from the start...

#44 11 years ago

I need to somehow talk to Gary Stern. Whatever he is paying to PC his parts I'll beat it by 20% or better . That way pro's can get slick coloring too.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Couldn't you get a used oven off CL for free / cheap for "smaller pieces" ??

Working on that. Not many car/bike parts are tiny . That's what I'm looking at getting. Something like a 2'x2'x2'. Harbor freight has one but I have no idea how good it is.

#46 11 years ago

Looks like very high quality work Alex. Great job.

#47 11 years ago

Call him. He seems approachable. I am sure he would listen. The process video you posted was great. Thanks.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Working on that. Not many car/bike parts are tiny . That's what I'm looking at getting. Something like a 2'x2'x2'. Harbor freight has one but I have no idea how good it is.

Yeah I am not sure I would trust HF on a Powder Coat Oven for $500... A standard oven is close to the 18" W x 18" H x 18" D and should work just as well for smaller pieces and be alot cheaper, esp if you get a used one ??

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Yeah I am not sure I would trust HF on a Powder Coat Oven for $500... A standard oven is close to the 18" W x 18" H x 18" D and should work just as well for smaller pieces and be alot cheaper, esp if you get a used one ??

The issue with a larger oven is space. And I'm running out . I will definitely get a small electric oven... I just need to find a good one (not necessarily used) to fit in a corner. My media blaster takes up a ton of room too. Not including the 12 bath/plating tubs and my buffing room.

#50 11 years ago

Hey Alex,

Does the transparent brass powder look like a normal brass plated piece? Such as the wireforms?

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/formal-powder-coat-pricing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.