(Topic ID: 68667)

Formal Introduction- OPTIX MAXIMUS, Op-Max, Exclusively at Comet Pinball AMAZING

By OLDPINGUY

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-140.jpg
    image-313.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-219.jpg
    image-538.jpg
    image.jpg
    FAN POP.jpg
    lite brite.jpg
    Light Chart2.jpg
    opmax blue.jpg
    opmax white.jpg
    opmax in yellow.jpg
    opmax red.jpg
    opmax Green2.jpg
    opmaxvsfrosted2.jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Greetings Everyone!

Please accept this as the Formal announcement and release of our New, Never seen before Double Patented, OPTIX MAXIMUS Bulb!

Exclusively at www.cometpinball.com

In an effort to solve the need for brighter lighting, I have been hard at work for 4 months to bring to market.

Casting light at over 300 degrees, this diffused LED bulb, creates a Glow unlike
    anything else!

Here is a link to the product, if you wish to jump in.....below is a product review.

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1836.htm

Here is my review.

It is my Goal to be as unbiased as possible, as I am a pinhead for 41 years.
    I am sure there will be feedback from users to help.

First is an explanation of "Brightness" vs "Throw"

Our OP-MAX is one of 4 bulbs we have new and unique to the market
    for improved lighting and brightness.

Op-Max, may not be the brightest in the sense that the lens, like a frosted
    LED, diffuses the light. It DOES throw it further then anything else available.

If you want pure brightness, and dont mind exposed SMD on your playfield,
    (its not too bad, only if you arent the player)

Please see our additional new bulbs in 6.3V.

1) Our 4+1 Tower...great for all GI, light in 5 directions.
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/4s-1s.htm

2) Our 4/4 for a total of 8 SMD, is a low profile light for incredible illumination.
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/4-4smd.htm

3) Our 3rd Choice is our 6 LED Crystal Fan LED. Really neat!
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6smdfan.htm

A full comparison will be up on the site with key details below.

Anyway, Back to Op-Max.

I unboxed and did my first testing, with my Guest, Martin Ayub, Editor of Pinball
    News. We had some bumps, also covered below, but what an impression this made! Further testing produced the pictures below, and I am tickled to death!

Here are the good details:

Doesnt get Hot to the extant of any concern..
    Comes in all colors that glow like Neon
    Extremely durable construction
    Over 300 degrees of Illumination
    Stunning, in its diffused lens.

Here is the bad, or not so good.

It may not fit every game.
    As a premium bulb, the bayonet base is crisp and well formed. The bumps are
    clean and round, which may cause a little extra work.
    Work like, needing to install from below the play field, in some cases.
    or a slight adjustment by enlarging the bulb holder. (Out of 3 games, we had 4 issues. one socket replacement, 2- small bending of socket, and one where I had to adjust the bulb. We have experienced no issues in Newer Sterns.

Martin, who works for the BBC noticed some flickering. I fixed that with a new base.
    I cant see the flickering he did, so I respect his opinion to share
    So not perfect, but close..I will be working for continued improvements.

At this point, it appears ready to go!

I have added a light chart to help diagram the throw of light.

opmaxvsfrosted2.jpgopmaxvsfrosted2.jpg opmax Green2.jpgopmax Green2.jpg opmax red.jpgopmax red.jpg opmax in yellow.jpgopmax in yellow.jpg opmax white.jpgopmax white.jpg opmax blue.jpgopmax blue.jpg Light Chart2.jpgLight Chart2.jpg
    #2 10 years ago

My order is in, looking forward to trying these!

#3 10 years ago

Thank you! I hope you like!

For those that PM'd The photos are not touched up in any way, but cameras catch LEDs very strangely.

#4 10 years ago

Wow!! That yellow is impressive!! My samples didn't come in today but should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to check them out. Thanks Art for kicking the LED market up a few notches!

#5 10 years ago

Cant wait til my order gets here, these things look amazing!

#6 10 years ago

just placed a small order, can't wait to try them out, thank.

bob.

#7 10 years ago

I cant wait to finish my own games too!
    FACEPALM!

I will be doing most of the GI in Op-Max, and the Optix in the inserts.....That hasnt been done yet!
    Although it will still have some single frosted SMD, 2's and 4's.

Takes me back to my childhood.....Adult Lite Brite!!!

lite brite.jpglite brite.jpg
    #8 10 years ago

Looks fantastic Art. I'll be ordering some once I get my LOTR put back together and decide upon which colours I want!!

#9 10 years ago

Just got my Op-Max samples from Art. All I can say is these LEDs are great! I believe they will become the new standard for GI lighting. Compared to a frosted 1 SMD 5050 they have a similar look but are considerably brighter. They definitely throw more light to the sides also. They work excellent under the play field plastics and even when they peak out a bit from under the plastic, at that angle they don't blind you like some other brighter bulbs will. Specifically bulbs that are unfrosted like the 4+4 SMD tower or the 4+1 SMD or even just an uncapped 1SMD 5050.

They don't work all that well in a pop bumper because they do create a bit of a hotspot being so close to the underside of the cap. However Comet does have an excellent bulb for pop bumpers in their 6 BRILLIANT CRYSTAL FAN SHAPE LED. Here is the link to that great new LED bulb:

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6smdfan.htm

And here is a pic of the Crystal Fan Shape LED in the lower pop bumper and regular frosted 1 SMD 5050s in the top two pop bumpers:

FAN POP.jpgFAN POP.jpg

Behind a backglass the Op-Max bulbs will also create a hot spot being so close the glass. Best to stick with the regular frosted 1 SMD for that situation. You really don't want to make the backbox too bright as it will create too strong of a reflection in the glass above the playfield making it difficult to see the action. Better a brighter playfield using the Op-Max LEDs so that you can see the ball better and over power the backbox reflection in the glass.

So now I need to go and purchase some Op-Max LEDs so that I can brighten up my playfield a bit more. Actually not that bad of a thing to have to do as most playfields only have a dozen or so bulbs under the plastics anyways. plus changing bulbs under plastics is one of the easier things to do.

I highly recommend checking out these new Op-Max LEDs!! If you got nice bright LEDs under your inserts the Op-Max LEDs will complement them nicely for the GI lighting of the playfield. And don't forget to pick up a few of the Crystal Fan Shape LEDs for your Pop Bumpers while you're at it!!

#10 10 years ago

In case anyone missed this on another preview thread, here is the lighting difference in a yellow 4 LED flat and a white Op Max on my Sandman. No flash, no editing.

image-538.jpgimage-538.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image-219.jpgimage-219.jpg
    #11 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It may not fit every game.
    As a premium bulb, the bayonet base is crisp and well formed. The bumps are
    clean and round, which may cause a little extra work.
    Work like, needing to install from below the play field, in some cases.
    or a slight adjustment by enlarging the bulb holder. (Out of 3 games, we had 4 issues. one socket replacement, 2- small bending of socket, and one where I had to adjust the bulb. We have experienced no issues in Newer Sterns.

I wish to share an update.

While we have found some issues of bulb fit, in certain games, this information, has not come to everyones attention when ordering. With the feed back received. we have identified changes from older Bally/Williams, to newer Sterns, to have a different metal stamping height, groove placement, and spring type, size, and depth.
    These three in combination with a newer stamped base, is causing some buyers some issues.
    If it does not insert smoothly, and light, please dont force it. Please try one more game.
    We are to stand behind our product, and dont wish anyone any inconvenience. We have certainly asked you to bear
    the responsibility of being our testers.
    Should you have any issues, or are not happy, of course, we do offer a refund, or as we re-tune this, a replacement.
    We are finding this happening on about 20% of the games, but dont expect that you should have a product you cannot use. it many cases, we have received feedback, about great performance, as well as this type of frustration.
    We have learned from this to make these changes permanent.
    If you have any of these concerns, please drop me a PM, and we will find the solution thats best for you.
    For those of you with no issues....Enjoy!

My sincerest apologies for any difficulty, our goal is a better product, and many new products, and we hope you will share with us the effort this takes.

Thank you,
    Art

#12 10 years ago

I got a set of bulbs from OLDPINGUY today, and I gotta say these things are neat.

I won't have time to do a full comparison/review post until the weekend, but I just quickly popped a few of these into a socket to see, and they are well designed and bright!

More info to come as I play with them.

I can already tell I will be ordering more.

1 week later
    #13 10 years ago

I just posted this on the Stargate club thread, and thought I'd share here. I was changing the incandescent bulbs in the back box to LED, and had 25 each of cool and warm bullet bulbs. I decided the cool looked much better, but needed more than 25 bulbs, and just happened to get 25 Op Max bulbs in the same order. So I started poking around with them, and almost blinded myself, but think the final product looks great. They don't create a "spotlight" effect like some of the LEDs I've put in back boxes before, spread the light well, and are of course very bright. You can see tons more detail in the back glass now, especially the colors around the Stargate itself and the metal grating directly in front of it. This was going to be temporary until I got more cool bulbs, but I think I like it enough to leave it. I believe here's 20 Op Max here, across the top, across the bottom, and directly behind the center/sphinx.

Before, after, and bulbs.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image-140.jpgimage-140.jpg
    image-313.jpgimage-313.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Thanks Crazy!

I would never have thought this.

I am guessing from the responses, that for some its perfect in slings, others too bright.
    All agree, great for spots...and they look amazing in WOZ. for Backbox, some lighter games may be
    too bright.
    But on this game, it looks Wild!
    What a transformation!

New production being worked on...trying to get all the little bugs out so it will perform better with more games.

More news as it comes in....

#15 10 years ago

Warning/disclaimer: do not install 20 Op Max bulbs in one area while the game is running and you are still staring at the back box, because you will still be seeing spots the next day. Dang those things are bright.

It's so pretty though. And I didn't have issues with the bulbs fitting into my Gottlieb 3 backbox sockets... or at least any more issues than I was having with any bulbs since the sockets were sometimes sideways.

1 week later
    #16 10 years ago

Any know of a coupon code for comet pinball leds... I've got a $300 order....or I'll wait for Black Friday.

#17 10 years ago

Have you tested these bulbs on any Capcom pinball machines?
    Is there any flickering or strobing?

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I just posted this on the Stargate club thread, and thought I'd share here. I was changing the incandescent bulbs in the back box to LED, and had 25 each of cool and warm bullet bulbs. I decided the cool looked much better, but needed more than 25 bulbs, and just happened to get 25 Op Max bulbs in the same order. So I started poking around with them, and almost blinded myself, but think the final product looks great. They don't create a "spotlight" effect like some of the LEDs I've put in back boxes before, spread the light well, and are of course very bright. You can see tons more detail in the back glass now, especially the colors around the Stargate itself and the metal grating directly in front of it. This was going to be temporary until I got more cool bulbs, but I think I like it enough to leave it. I believe here's 20 Op Max here, across the top, across the bottom, and directly behind the center/sphinx.
    Before, after, and bulbs.

image.jpg 1 MB

image-313.jpg 1 MB

image-140.jpg 2 MB

Wow thats a sweet before and after

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Any know of a coupon code for comet pinball leds... I've got a $300 order....or I'll wait for Black Friday.

So sorry, we dont issue a site wide discount code. We do run specific products on sale every 8 weeks approx.

With over a dozen bulbs exclusive to our company, free shipping over $99, and some of the lowest prices anywhere, we honestly dont see a reason to be lower then the lowest already.

Art

2 weeks later
    #20 10 years ago

So are all of the optix maximus bulbs out of stock right now?

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

So are all of the optix maximus bulbs out of stock right now?

Being re-worked for better universal fit

1 month later
    #22 10 years ago

any update on this?

#23 10 years ago

How did you get two patents ("double-patented") in less than 4 months?

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

"our New, Never seen before Double Patented, OPTIX MAXIMUS Bulb!"...
    "I have been hard at work for 4 months to bring to market."

#24 10 years ago

They are for sale on the site. cometpinball.com

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

They are for sale on the site. cometpinball.com

I'm fairly certain that Op-max are not back in stock yet.

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1836.htm

#26 10 years ago

Refresh your browser. They come up for me.

#27 10 years ago

Updates and Questions...No Problem.

First the Patents. I dont own the Patents, The Bulb was originally designed for very high end European auto consumption,
    In fact, the bulb retails from $28-$35 US.

Where is the bulb now?

We were hoping to have export today, as Chinese Holiday is for 2 weeks now. We missed the deadline, as some new components were being redone. I now expect to have in stock in 3-4 weeks.

What was the problems and solutions?

Well, we screwed up by releasing without thorough testing, based on a friends post.
    There were 2 issues to address. One was just dumb, the manufacturer used a 44/47 bulb that was not universal.
    It fit about 60% of the games. It was too long on the bottom point connection. Some people filed them down.
    Others returns, some had no problems.

The second issue was height We made them the same height as other bulbs,, but neglected the different socket placements and wood thicknesses in games. Some fit, some did not. So we have lengthened the bulb 2mm.

Strobing concerns.....Very very hard to fix, but we hope to have improved this. Thanks to help from people like Harold (Herg), who lent valuable opinion and LED knowledge...and we know with his boards, he knows his stuff, Lloyd lent his opinion and help, as did many people on the Florida Board.

We spent 6 weeks redeveloping a new board for this bulb. It is my hope and belief it will solve many of the issues with strobing, but realistically, I dont think 100%, as everyones eyes are different. Even still, these bulbs are amazing, and if strobing is something that concerns you, simply use them in the Back GI or Spots.

They will be in all colors, both bases, and 12V Spots which will fix the back of a WOZ, for $4.00 for 2 bulbs!
    They are a unique bulb, and not to everyones taste, but I seem to find through testing, 2-6 bulbs per game, for my old eyes.
    I have had someone do an entire GI with these, and it hurts my eyes....too bright for me, but they were happy.

If anyone still has some bulbs that didnt work for them, I am sorry if you missed these posts, but you are welcome to exchange them.

Product development still takes time, and the 60 days since, we have been diligent.

Coming in next, with some posts are 6.3 V plug and play LED strips, with either base or alligator clips. Great Anywhere!
    A new Magnified Faceted Round with insane Lumens.
    Our Rhombus diamond faceted are in production....The only SMD to fit Gottliebs, and a bulb between a frosted and clear SMD.
    Up on site new this weekend are New UV Bulbs, and new 12V bulbs! A must See.

So always more in the works, and more to come, but a lot of new Flashers, 5 SMD 6.5V high illumination Towers...All NEW.

The OP Max, when back in stock, will be turned back on, on the website for ordering.

Thanks!

Art

'

#28 10 years ago

Hey Art, you know what I'd love to see? LEDs with flicker circuits, like you see in those little LED tea lights, with the fake flickering flames. I keep finding places on games where I could use those. For instance the candle on the backglass of Scared Stiff, or the TV for that matter, or the cauldrons on EATPM.

#29 10 years ago

I am with you n that Aurich, I have ordered some samples and am working on them, but I feel with all that I have in front of it, it might take 6 months. I have heard of people simply extracting the bulbs from these flicker candles and adapting them for Scared Stiff. Great Mind to notice that, Sir!

Can you think of another game or application that might use this? Fire?

#30 10 years ago

Fire would look good on the JP gate (would have to be modded though) and possibly Frankenstein.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Refresh your browser. They come up for me.

They do?

#32 10 years ago

What base on JP, Frank, and SS?

Only if its in your cache.,,,???....product page is turned off/hidden at this time.

#33 10 years ago

Anxiously awaiting the opmax bulbs. JDoz2 had one of the early bulbs in a spot and it was perfect for dark games.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am with you n that Aurich, I have ordered some samples and am working on them, but I feel with all that I have in front of it, it might take 6 months. I have heard of people simply extracting the bulbs from these flicker candles and adapting them for Scared Stiff. Great Mind to notice that, Sir!

Hey no worries, just occurred to me a while ago and I meant to PM you but forgot. Saw your post in this thread and it came back to me, so I highjacked.

It's definitely a special effect kind of thing, so I guess it wouldn't be a high volume seller, but seems like there have got to be lots of applications in the right spots on the playfield or backglasses.

#35 10 years ago

Sorry, my cache.... I checked before I made the post - and I swear they were there!

1 week later
    #36 10 years ago
    #37 10 years ago

If so, Art, are the purples like the double flexes I bought? The rich, cross color between a purple and magenta? Or the lighter more common purples?

#38 10 years ago

Yes, Indeed, they are, we just received on Friday.
    We did some changes to the bulb....Boy was this a labor of love.
    We added a Bridge Rectifier to convert the AC on the playfield, to DC on the Bulb,
    We changed the resistor to soften the bulb about 12%-15%.
    While we had some issues with base size on some games, we believe that is solved, perhaps 100%
    They still have a thick neck, so their may be some places out of the thousands of games that they dont fit.
    Out of all the feedback, the most common comment was, "We love the bulb, its just too bright"
    I believe right now that this is THE brightest Diffused Bulb! About 2-2.5 times brighter then a frosted SMD, without being too bright. The colors are a little different. The Green starts as a slightly lighter, then becames A perfect Creature Green. The Pink is a very Pleasant Pastel, and the purple is simply a shade, not too dark, not too light.
    I hope to add some pictures if I get time today.
    Equally, several other new bulbs have gone up, one that is very reasonable, and brighter then an Op-Max, in fact the brightest I have ever seen in 6,3 V, and that is up, but also need more pictures.
    Our 6.3V strips went up, Plug and play...just awesome, and a seperate post is coming.
    I encourage anyone interested, to try a couple whites, and a few colors, before you go all out.
    They are quite Special...and truly need to be seen.
    They will be availble this month at the APE show in Miami.

My thanks to Harold, (Herg), and Lloyd, for several emails, and education to retool this.
    OH, I will test tomorrow, we did get these in two shades of Warm!!!!!! and 12V.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If so, Art, are the purples like the double flexes I bought? The rich, cross color between a purple and magenta? Or the lighter more common purples?

So hard to describe the shades of Purple. It may be neither. What they arent is the same shade as an SMD, because they are a different animal in a superflux. In General, they are a lighter Pastel Purple....
    I dont know if that helps, and photos dont help either.

Basically the market place has purple LEDs...ehhh...OK....for features.
    SMD, which is darker, and the staple among Vendors.
    Then you have Purple, 2, 3, and 4 LEDs from CT, and PBL, and these are pleasant lighter purple.
    Then Super Flux Purple, A more Even purple, a little bit darker then the LEDs,
    and then The Op-Max, which is in a league of its own.

Ones own eyes are the best.

Art

#39 10 years ago

I tried the Maximus under the slings on my JD and though I liked them they were too bright for me. The right sling lower LED just catches your eye and was not going to work. I did try just using them on the upper sling sockets only and while it didn't effect the player it did affect watching someone play while next to the machine. I'm just going to find another place rather than the slings because I really do like them!

#40 10 years ago

Well, I just ordered a bunch of your new stuff. OP-Max and strips mostly! Very excited!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I tried the Maximus under the slings on my JD and though I liked them they were too bright for me. The right sling lower LED just catches your eye and was not going to work. I did try just using them on the upper sling sockets only and while it didn't effect the player it did affect watching someone play while next to the machine. I'm just going to find another place rather than the slings because I really do like them!

Hi Rob,

When you place another order, remind me, and Ill send you one of the new ones....The original version my have been to bright for slings and rails, but I believe we are at a better lumen level.

Art

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hi Rob,
    When you place another order, remind me, and Ill send you one of the new ones....The original version my have been to bright for slings and rails, but I believe we are at a better lumen level.
    Art

Sounds good - don't know when I'm going to need any more LEDS for my machine as I've pretty much done all I can do it right now. But ya never know.

1 year later
    #43 8 years ago

Had to bring this thread back. I just got these for a Fire! I just acquired. These bulbs are perfect for the buildings as there is not a bulb that is too bright for them.

The two buildings near the center ramp have a great cluster of sockets that I was able to put amber, yellow, and red Optix bulbs in to make an amazing fire orange color!! This full LED conversion of this game is Comet bulbs. Optix Maximus and twin 2835 bulbs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fire-club/page/4#post-2558261

#44 8 years ago

Thanks Chuck,

It's quite an amazing bulb, and I think
    You might be the first to use in a fire pin.
    It looks amazing!

With my apologies for self promotion,
    If you haven't tried these, throw a couple in your next order....!!!!

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks Chuck,
    It's quite an amazing bulb, and I think
    You might be the first to use in a fire pin.
    It looks amazing!
    With my apologies for self promotion,
    If you haven't tried these, throw a couple in your next order....!!!!

They are pretty awesome. I have been wanting to try forever, but I knew I had to find a spot that would be able to accept the brightness of the bulb and not blind the player. The buildings in this game were a perfect match for these bulbs.

1 year later
    #46 7 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I can not say enough good things about these Optix Maximus LEDs for GI use. These things are incredible and worth every penny. They are very bright but do not hurt my eyes. It's worth the wait if you're saving up for some LEDs. I tried so many other LEDs that are just in a box now.

I was never happy with my GI lightning until I found these. In fact, if anyone has extras, please send me a message. At $2.29/ea it adds up FAST.

#47 7 years ago

Thank you for enjoying them.
    I cant begin to share the year long journey,
    Patent agreements, and such to create.
    I find i am always using at least 6 to 10 in a game....BOP next.
    If you havent tried some, grab 6 and see the difference!!

#48 7 years ago

Fine work there, OLDPINGUY - It took me awhile to shop around to find what I liked and this is it. I have these in my Space Shuttle, Space Station and Jurassic Park currently. Thanks for your hard work and diligence to enhance this hobby for us.

#49 7 years ago

seriously..... id LOVE to see COMET at Pinfest!!!!!! What can we do to get them there? Bribery?

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

seriously..... id LOVE to see COMET at Pinfest!!!!!! What can we do to get them there?
    Bribery?

Send a PM to Ryan from Pinside...have a bunch of people do the same!!
    Guilt him into it!

I hope some of the new stuff I left him with will show up.

Ill be sharing some of the samples of such, as soon as I can, and bug him for those too!

Janet and Ryan are doing a great job!
    Takes a while to learn the ropes.

Quoted from dearliza98:

Fine work there, oldpinguy - It took me awhile to shop around to find what I liked and this is it. I have these in my Space Shuttle, Space Station and Jurassic Park currently. Thanks for your hard work and diligence to enhance this hobby for us.

I have only done JP with these...Awesome!!!

Much appreciate the kind words.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/formal-introduction-optix-maximus-op-max-exclusively-at-comet-pinball-amazing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.