(Topic ID: 15360)

Forget the theme. Thoughts on WWF Royal Rumble?

By btrip

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by aerobert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_1288.JPG
100_1290.JPG
hiltonwwf2.jpg
hiltonwwf1.jpg
WWF3.jpg
WWF2.jpg
WWF1.jpg
IMAG0743.jpg
IMAG0751.jpg
wwfcab.jpg

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Don't judge me, but I myself absolutely love the theme These were the wrestlers from my childhood, and what kid wasn't into professional wrestling? This was from a time when professional wrestling still had some charm and wasn't the over sexualized garbage soap opera steroid fest it is today.

So, if you hate the theme of this game, just try and put that aside if you can.

What do you think of this game?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from btrip:

Don't judge me, but I myself absolutely love the theme These were the wrestlers from my childhood, and what kid wasn't into professional wrestling? This was from a time when professional wrestling still had some charm and wasn't the over sexualized garbage soap opera steroid fest it is today.
So, if you hate the theme of this game, just try and put that aside if you can.
What do you think of this game?

Never played the game- but I want it just for the theme!!

I'm with you on the theme. Though, the Macho Man callouts I've heard from watching the video sound like they'd get a little old.

#3 7 years ago

I hate the artwork and am not a fan of the theme... but I think the game is excellent and is probably a keeper for me... and it would have to be good for me to want to keep such an ugly son-of-a-bitch!

#4 7 years ago

Okay, since I can't bash on the theme, I'll gripe about the call outs. I found them pretty aggravating and they got old quick. From a gameplay and rules perspective, it is a pretty good game. The upper playfield is well done, probably one of the better ones I've played. If it weren't for the theme, there is a chance I'd still own the game.

Edit: Actually, if I had space for a lot more games, I'd probably still own the game as it is pretty fun and it is kind of unusual. But since I really only have room for 8 games, it wasn't going to be a permanent resident in the basement.

#5 7 years ago

Very fun game; people who play mine really like it a lot. It doesn't feel like a cookie-cutter Stern; it definitely has a "Data East Widebody" feel, if you can picture that. The upper mini=pf is tough, it has difficult scoop shots, and a cool way of selecting the next mode via the 3 main shots (2 ramps and right orbit). You'll love the 9 wrestler's themes too. It's a solid game, challenging with difficult modes and very hard to get to the Royal Rumble mode itself.

#6 7 years ago

I've never played one, but I want it for the theme.

#7 7 years ago

I'll let you know, when mine is up and running. It is in HUO condition, just some board issues I'm working on. I fixed both flipper boards, I'll find out if I fixed my sound board tonight (keep your fingers crossed!), and the CPU board is sent out for repairs. I'm tearing apart the PF now, and it's going to get the Treasure Cove treatment!

I have it pieced together with parts from my other games, just to make sure everything worked.

CPU & Sound board from JP
Flipper board & auto launch assy. from Goldeneye
Everything worked, just some burnt out bulbs to fix. Oh yea, it's also missing some switch actuators on some of the gate assys. also.

I can't wait to get it going. I think it'll be a keeper!

I love my DE games!! (let the berating start, because I like DE games)

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

I'll let you know, when mine is up and running. It is in HUO condition, just some board issues I'm working on. I fixed both flipper boards, I'll find out if I fixed my sound board tonight (keep your fingers crossed!), and the CPU board is sent out for repairs. I'm tearing apart the PF now, and it's going to get the Treasure Cove treatment!
I have it pieced together with parts from my other games, just to make sure everything worked.
CPU & Sound board from JP
Flipper board & auto launch assy. from Goldeneye
Everything worked, just some burnt out bulbs to fix. Oh yea, it's also missing some switch actuators on some of the gate assys. also.
I can't wait to get it going. I think it'll be a keeper!
I love my DE games!! (let the berating start, because I like DE games)

Man, I hope you HATE it. That way I can come up and buy it from you.

Just giving you a hard time.

#9 7 years ago

I own one, its dank.

Its a wide body loaded to the gills with damn near every mech/feature invented & its presented by Hulk, Macho man & etc.

Rules are legit, there's a half dozen side missions on top of the 9 missions & dont forget the 3 multiball modes + WIZARD mode.

I'm in the market for another one so I can combine the best componenets of both to make my own uber WWF.

PW79

#10 7 years ago

1 of the best bang for the buck pins imo. i only got rid of mine because i got a lotr in trade. many people overlook it due to the theme.i recommend everyone to give it a play or 3.

#11 7 years ago

I owned one for awhile, It was fun but unfortunately didnt have lasting appeal to me, i enjoyed the upper pf being the wrestling ring. And the Undertaker call outs were always crackin me up. "I will bury you!!"

#12 7 years ago

It’s a fun pin to play. The theme is just like Pro Wrestling you either like it or you don’t. I grew up watching these guys when I was a teenager. My wife and I love to play ours. I picked it up a few months ago from a fun park that was doing some upgrades. It has taken me a lot of work to restore but it has been worth it and looks like a new one. A bonus found a still in package never installed topper setting inside.

#13 7 years ago

I've never played it, but think they should have done one for the Attitude era
and one for the WCW when the NWO was big!

#14 7 years ago

As a fan (have run a wrestling website the last 12 years!), I may be a bit biased. Having said that, I think the machine is really, REALLY underrated. It has a lot of depth, and is a lot of fun. I quite regret ever selling mine, and am considering getting another one.

After all, any game that tells you to HIT MR. FUJI FOR EXTRA BALL can't be bad.

#15 7 years ago

id like to play one to see if I would like it. Was big into WWF as a kid

#16 7 years ago

I like the game. I have one in the fix-up queue. Not sure if it's a game I'll be keeping or not, if I could get a proto translite, I'd probably keep it

#17 7 years ago

I like mine, the sound does not bother me at all. I really like playing it and I like that it is a widebody so it feels different. Hard to get a different feel nowdays. The ball gets launched from under the PF at the left flipper VERY fast! It will catch you off gaurd if you are taking a drink.

Better yet, I am starting a rumor that Cliffy might be making protectors for this game soon! Not sure how long but I think it will be soon.

#18 7 years ago

i love the theme, love the call outs, how can you not love macho man's "oooo yeah." ton of shots, deep pin. the thing that I like least about it is when you get the "royal rumble" wizard mode it's about hitting pop bumpers to toss the wrestlers...
great value for the $$$ love the wide body and shakermotor...

#19 7 years ago

Seems to be a lot of praise.

Any input from those that really don't like it?

#20 7 years ago

Not a bad game, but could be better. The Macho ramp is very easy to shoot at, probably the easiest shot in pinball.

#21 7 years ago

I see 1 @ the Auction Alot,, Wide-body ,, I just can't get into it...

#22 7 years ago

OOOHHHH, YYEEAAHHHH!!!!

Does the game have any mention of Captain Lou Albano, The Grand Wizard or Classie Freddie Blassie?

Dan

#23 7 years ago

I'd love to own it for the theme. Loved these guys as a kid.

I think The Undertaker is the only one in the art that is still an active (barely) wrestler for WWE. Half of them are dead.

Who the hell is on the front of the cab with Doink? A ref?

wwfcab.jpg

Quoted from RDReynolds:

As a fan (have run a wrestling website the last 12 years!), I may be a bit biased. Having said that, I think the machine is really, REALLY underrated. It has a lot of depth, and is a lot of fun. I quite regret ever selling mine, and am considering getting another one.
After all, any game that tells you to HIT MR. FUJI FOR EXTRA BALL can't be bad.

Oh damn, I know you. WrestleCrap!!!!!

#24 7 years ago

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

#25 7 years ago

Negatives:
Artwork, Sound (oh yeah way to repetative)

Postives:

Everything else.

annoying call outs and ugly but very fun player.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Not a bad game, but could be better. The Macho ramp is very easy to shoot at, probably the easiest shot in pinball.

Yeah, but repeatedly hitting that ramp doesn't really advance anything after 3 shots (or twice when you need it to light both scoops). You really do have to hit all the shots to get the different modes. The upper mini-pf is tough, and the upper left 'saucer' shot on the mini-pf is killer tough! (Although I've actually gotten better at it.)

This game also has a beefy "rumbling" shaker. Diverters galore, VUKs, drops, pops, scoops.... I've entertained the thought of re-theming this (pf art, dots, sound) to be an ECW pin. (That would be classic mid-90's ECW, btw! Raven's Nest, Gangstas, Eliminators, BWO, Tommy Dreamer, Sandman, Taz, Sabu...) THAT would be an all-time killer game!!!! [If anyone could do this, I would pay good $$$ for it.]

3 weeks later
#27 7 years ago

I own one and love it! I grew up as a kid watching these guys.....so it brings back memories.....tons to do in this pin.....anybody on this forum that has one and has put in LED's please share some pics

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Oh damn, I know you. WrestleCrap!!!!!

Hey hey, fellow Crapper!

#29 7 years ago

Why forget the theme???? I want the game because of it.

#30 7 years ago

Tons of fun! Not big on the theme, but man... lots of fun shots, a lot going on all around... underrated pin.

#31 7 years ago

great pin! deserves more recognition.

#32 7 years ago

pretty fun. upper playfield is somewhat challenging for me (only played one game, though). Definitely worth a try if you can get one for a fair price.

#33 7 years ago

Can we stop talking about it till I can find one

I love the theme and had a great time playing one recently! I found the playfield to be very different. It is currently the #1 DE game I would like to find.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can we stop talking about it till I can find one
I love the theme and had a great time playing one recently! I found the playfield to be very different. It is currently the #1 DE game I would like to find.

I'm working on getting one. The process has been slow, but I remain hopeful. Most of my local buddies are very excited if it pans out. If it all works out, I'll let you know!

#35 7 years ago

Well, I found one locally and picked it up since I couldn't find a STTNG.

I do not regret it one bit. I love the theme since I was big into wrestling at the time, so it tickles my nostalgia big time.

The machine is a reimport from Germany and from the smell, it smoked about 5 cartons of cigarettes a day. The topside was pretty clean but under the playfield was dirty dirty dirty. The tops of the lamp boards under the playfield were black. I currently have the machine in pieces and am cleaning/rebuilding everything.

The center ramp, while a huge gaping shot in the middle of the playfield, is not as easy to hit as it looks like. On top of that, you can't just shoot it over and over anyway to get big points. It really serves 2 functions: collecting the 3 wrestlers assigned to it, and lighting the mode holes.

For those that don't know, once you collect all 9 wrestlers, multiball is lit on the left ramp or the far right shot. One of my complaints with the game is there's really no point to collecting wrestlers during the first 2 balls since on ball 3 they're all given to you anyway, making multiball one shot away. Jurassic Park does this too, but with the dinosaur targets, but the thing with Jurassic Park is you can easily play modes on ball 1 and 2, and ball 3 sort of becomes the big multiball ball, which is usually guaranteed because of the Smart Missile.

Which brings me to my biggest complaint about the game. The start mode holes are very difficult shots. The one smack dab on the left of the center ramp is nearly impossible. You can only feasibly hit it from the left flipper, but with rebuilt flippers, it hits so hard that it is usually rejected. 20% of the time you're going to miss right, 20% of the time you're going to miss left, 50% of the time it's going to reject or bounce out, and 10% of the time you'll make it. The mode start hole on the upper left is a makeable, but difficult shot as well, so starting modes usually happens more by accident than on purpose.

So if you combine those 2 things, no point getting wrestlers on balls 1 and 2, and the mode start shots being extremely difficult, a lot of the time you just find yourself making wrestler shots for no real reason other than you're tired of missing the start mode shots! I really wish there was a way to disable the spotting of all wrestlers on ball 3. Perhaps there is. Does anyone know?

Some people get tired of the repetitive Macho Man sounds. I can understand why, but they don't bother me, and I usually find myself "OOOOHH YEAAAAH"ing right along with him.

#36 7 years ago

Congrats on the pick up!

I love mine, my only major complaint is the stock speakers sound like shit.
Really fun game to bash around on...
Don't worry about the scoops. I had a lot of trouble at first and I can nail em now.
For now, if you can't make the center scoop, shoot the middle ramp, hold up the left flipper and watch it pass perfectly to the right.

The wizard mode, while easy to achieve, is hard to beat.
Hard in an 'annoyingly impossible' sort of way...

As for annoying sounds, the Macho Man don't bother me.
It's the bell ring that's getting on my nerves, especially after a ball save DING DING DING

Collecting wrestlers on ball 1 and 2 is a must.
You get an extra bonus for starting multiball on ball 1, and also have the chance to earn the next multiball...
Why would you wait for ball 3?????

#37 7 years ago

Randy Savage makes everything a bajillion times cooler. Just factoring that in, this table should be ranked #1.

I've been hoping this game would show up at PAGG or CAX so I could try it out. If you're in the bay and have a Royal Rumble: stop being stingy! Bring it out already.

#38 7 years ago

I love my WWF Royal Rumble!!!!!!!! I watched wrestling all the time when I was a kid. Couldn't get enough of it, that I went out and got trained. Wrestled for a few years until I just finally realized that it is not that same as what I enjoyed so much from "pre-death of WCW." Just wish that WWF would have never changed to WWE. The regular person doesn't even know that it is not the same name anymore. But back to the pin, mine has the proto translite and led bulbs from cointaker installed.

IMAG0751.jpg

#39 7 years ago

LOVE that proto translite.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Spidey171:

I love my WWF Royal Rumble!!!!!!!! I watched wrestling all the time when I was a kid. Couldn't get enough of it, that I went out and got trained. Wrestled for a few years until I just finally realized that it is not that same as what I enjoyed so much from "pre-death of WCW." Just wish that WWF would have never changed to WWE. The regular person doesn't even know that it is not the same name anymore. But back to the pin, mine has the proto translite and led bulbs from cointaker installed.

Attachments
IMAG0751.jpg (275.4 KB, 0 downloads) 30 minutes old

OOOOOHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

#41 7 years ago

Thanks! It truly is really under-rated b/c of the theme. I have color changing fast blink led bulbs behind the fireworks on the translite. That really makes it stand out in the game room! All the WWF top wrestler are on the proto translite, and look larger than life!! More than 1/2 of them had left WWF for WCW by the time the pin was released. Plus, now more than 1/2 are dead unfortunately now =( Everyone goes 1st to it just b/c the attract mode, and how good it looks with the bright led bulbs flashing. I feel I have a unique selection in that area of my pins (Dr. Who & Night Moves cocktail by it). I have also up-graded the speakers, so it is really loud with a lot of bass. That along with the shaker motor inside makes if feel like you are really slamming your opponent to the mat.... haha

DING DING DING. It's time for the WWF ROYAL RUMBLE. OOOOOOOOHHHHH YEAHHHHH

IMAG0743.jpg

#42 7 years ago

My eyes totally skipped the proto backglass. I agree, it is the better version. Everyone is represented fairly well instead of just Hogan dwarfing everybody. Cool set up man!

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Collecting wrestlers on ball 1 and 2 is a must.
You get an extra bonus for starting multiball on ball 1, and also have the chance to earn the next multiball...
Why would you wait for ball 3?????

Because I didn't know that Thanks for the info!

#44 7 years ago

There's a unique feel to WWF, and it's not a bad game at all. Very challenging to get all 9 jackpots during multi, very very. And tight tough shots on the scoops.

In this new world of everything coming out fanned, with the same old shots, some are looking back to the underpriced unique games of the 90's. Bang for your buck no doubt!

#45 7 years ago

Yep, this game gives you lots of machine for the dollar.

#46 7 years ago

Mine is starting to come together! I just did a treasure cove polish on the pf, and it looks awesome. Hope to finish putting the pf back together tonight!

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Spidey171:

Attachments IMAG0751.jpg (275.4 KB, 0 downloads) 15 hours old

That looks amazing! I had to double take when I scrolled down.

I'm impressed! Great work!

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

Mine is starting to come together! I just did a treasure cove polish on the pf, and it looks awesome. Hope to finish putting the pf back together tonight!

Looking forward to having another working WWF in the MN area, congratulations!

#49 7 years ago

Not a fan of the theme but looks like it could be a fun pin

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Better yet, I am starting a rumor that Cliffy might be making protectors for this game soon! Not sure how long but I think it will be soon.

Thanks to a certain someone who lent me his minty nos playfield you might be right!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Barrington, IL
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 26.50
$ 22.00
$ 16.00
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside