4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Nikrox2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Ok, after watching several clips of the “Forged in Fire” TV show, while of course working on some project pins – “we” came up with an idea:

What about having some “fun” competition at one or two of the larger Pin Shows – in wait for it…”Repairing Pinball Machines”!

Thinking it could be “Head to Head” – or done up in “Teams” (say 4 people to a team)

These could be one to one games being brought back from the dead at various levels of decay, or for the teams, they could set up 2 to 4 machines per “team” – and either have a set time, or go until the last game is running and award based on “time” (First ones to get one or all of the games working”) , “quality of work” (how the machine(s) turned out compared to how they started, or “Quantity” (as in maybe one team fixed 30 items on one game and another team only needed to fix 15 in the same time frame)

You could have in the “team” events – someone great on board repairs, someone great on switches & trouble shooting, someone doing the cleaning and mundane stuff (that’s where I’d be placed on a team), and someone being the assistant/parts runner. (I could do that job too!)

Of course the level or depth of the machines, the level of service needed, etc – all could throw off “even steven” comparisons, but I’m sure the peeps here on Pinside could help define the “exact rules” needed.

Winners of one show could get “invited” to the next major event, and the overall year winner(s) would be crowned “Forged in Pinball Champions”..and get to keep a machine of their choice from one of the major sponsors! (Now that’s the idea!)

After reading multitudes of posts here on Pinside, I know I just put myself out there for instant/constant/malignant abuse and “constructive criticism” – but I just had to go there!

Cant' wait to see the responses!

#2 4 years ago

Dude, that is a cool idea!

There would have to be a lot of resources to find similarly, dysfunctional machines, and the parts to repair them, but it would be awesome to see live at a festival like pintastic, Allentown, and Texas.

Could even stream the event with similar camera setups as use at tournaments.

Even if only one or two of these "forged in pinball" events could be mustered, it would be great to see how they would turn out.

#3 4 years ago

I tried to add a poll here but I’m still a newbie and don’t have enough pinball clout.

Thinking - “would you participate? “. Answers - yes , no and “only if they handicap the participants like golfers”.

Putting some newbies against the oldtimers may look like a slaughter house !

#4 4 years ago

Maybe if we added "It will Keel" testing? (in our best "Doug Marcaida" impression?)

1 week later
    #5 4 years ago

Ok to possibly get more involved, I’d added some new thoughts or ideas here:

First Round – “Individuals” or “Teams” would have to get their “machine” to at least “operating” condition – as in starting a game, points added, some lights/switches working .
    As well know, not all goes well, and with a “timed event” – the results will vary, so eliminating one at this point shouldn’t be hard to do.
    This takes it from 4 to 3. (Teams or Individuals)

Second Round – “Individuals” or “Teams” would need to progress their “machine” to as fully functional as possible, with any added art work, Mod’s or repairs to see who makes this elimination round.
    This takes it from 3 to 2. (Teams or Individuals)

Final Round – This is where it would have to veer from the TV show, as they typically send them home to work in their “home forges”. But here the original plan was to complete the competition during a Pinball Show event. (This whole competition could be completed over a 2-3 day event)

The “Individuals” or “Teams” would need to go on to an actual “head to head” competition as this stage takes it from 2 to 1 (Teams or Individuals). *And win the sponsored NIB!*

So – they’ve brought a game to life in round 1, made it fully functional in round 2, possibly for the Final Round, they fully complete their assigned games to the best of their abilities, within the timed event – servicing, cleaning, painting, modifying, etc.

At this point, we could make one half of the points/votes from the event ticket holders. People could walk around, look at, inspect and then vote on their favorite.
    The other half of the points/votes would be by the main judges. (Who are the sole voters on the 1st and 2nd Rounds)

Final announcements and “Sponsored NIB” give-a-way would be on the last day of the event.

#6 4 years ago

Which brings me to the next item: JUDGES!!
    (If anyone can add a poll here, this would be cool)
    Possibly have of a list of fellow “Pinsiders” attending each of the main events (this may only occur once or twice a year, unless it really takes off of course) – but then we vote on who would be the “Judges” prior to the specified event. (Not all can attend all events)

Not sure of ages, looks or real world experiences (And no, we do not have to have a weapons expert, nor are handlebar mustaches required) –
    But thinking out loud here, just from past post readings and personal experiences, here are some (10) that could definitely split the good from the bad (and not in specific order):
    “The Wiz”
    “Vid1900”
    “O-din”
    “Oldpinguy”
    “Tractordoc”
    “EM-Pinman”
    “rolf-martin-062” (We’d have to get him to the states, but I’d be the first to chip $$ in on that!)
    “Kenlayton”
    “Pafasa”
    “Grumpy” (If we can get him!)

I’m a newbie here (still) but these are some of the people that have helped me – either directly, or through their postings, and have helped so many other people here as well. It’s amazing the “brotherhood /sisterhood” of complete strangers helping each other out here. So to acknowledge those individuals as well as judges – to me it’s a tip of the hat to them and a high five!

1 month later
    #7 4 years ago

There are postings here getting thousands of replies on the "best food to eat", "where to live", "cats" and "dogs" (yeah, I've posted on some of those too, so not knocking those) but they're not even about PINBALL!

Here's a great idea (ok, until someone shoots it down with probably a really good thought) - but at least it's about PINBALL!

And no one (except that one cool Cat from CT!) is even chiming in? Come on!

Now I'll probably be asked to "surrender my pin and leave the forge" (or "surrender my pin and leave the game room")

1 year later
    #8 3 years ago

That Cat from CT is bumping this thread again with high hopes!

1 week later
    #9 3 years ago

Hey! - Someone else can still see the possibilities here! I had lost hopes on this one.

I just tried to add a poll again..not happening. (I'll get there)

The new Poll question - "Sounds interesting enough to stop and watch at a show?"
    Possible answers -

1) No - Stupid Question, I'd rather be playing
    2) Maybe - if the lines were long or if there are interesting games/teams (Possible chance to meet Odin or Vid - In person, Come on!)
    3) Yes - Actually may be more interesting than the other entertainment planned

This to me though is really for the pinball repair groups on here, but even new owners who have no idea of what the insides of a game even look like, let alone seeing some of the EM marvels out there, or newbies just starting to learn, it may even help perk interest in our hobby.

"IT WILL PLAY" in my best "Doug Marcaida" impression

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/forged-in-pinball-anyone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.