2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Purdue
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luppin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

This is a poll only for people into OWNING pinball machines for a minimum of 10 years. That means if you started buying pinball machines 5 years ago, you are not qualified enough to participate, thanks for your understanding.

Ok, we all had our favourite, best ever, a-list, unbeatable favourite machines. You got the a-listers, then some alternative hidden gems, sleepers, maybe old school machines, new modern ones. Every time you got excited about new aspects of pinball, redifining your idea of perfect pinball machine.

My experience anyway is that EVERY MACHINE gets old. Some last long, much longer than others (even some years), some last... days.. :DD. But eventually, you move on. After thousands and thousands of games its over. Always. Ok, if you have space for tens of machines (I guess you are a professional operator than, or something like that - if not: do you have other hobbies in your life?? I can't think about the work and time needed to keep 20/30 or more machines up and running...). So, the question is: which machine do you think could be owned forever? This poll in unrelated to value. So please do not answer having in mind that "that machine" could rise in price after 1/5/10/20 years. Just think purely in terms of playability. YOUR playability, not visiting friends. Not somethink to show off to friends and impress them with nice art, light shows, music, themes, and so on... Also machines you are related for sentimental reasons do not count (first purchase, most played during youth, and so on..).

Ok, it depends on how big is your collection. Lets say you have space for 3 forever machines, and you cannot buy nothing else ever again, or only 1 game rotating at max. Sure, you reach the point when you get tired even of a great, great, great game. But which one have that factor that even after getting tired after tens of thousands of games, you take a rest for a few months, and then you want to go back and play again? Play again SERIOUSLY I mean, not a couple of games remembering the past with nostalgia and then leave it to get dust for another year. Are there such games?

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

I might be a bit of an anomaly here because it’s very rare for me to get rid of a game. I bought my first pin in 2003. I currently have 9 pins. In 18 years of owning games I’ve only traded out one. That was Stern IJ which I traded for Houdini. But to answer your question, I’d say my true “forever” pin would be Williams IJ. But, like I said, I don’t really see any of my games leaving unless I run out of space (I’m almost there) and someone makes a game I simply must have!

well, its all about space. i had an approach similar to yours: I bought 10 machines in 10 years, sold 3 in total. now at 7 but have space only for 5 now, so have to sell. i'd like to stick to 5, its a reasonable number in my opinion. but i'll have to sell if i want something new.

sometimes i think, for the reasoning above, that collecting pinball machines does not make sense at all (unless its your job as an operator): maybe the best number for machines to have is 1 or 2. you play and play and play (and fix and fix and fix - but at least its only one) until its over. you sell and get a new one. why have machines only there to get dust?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luppin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/forever-pinball?tu=Luppin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.