(Topic ID: 129147)

Fords and Pinballs (Drive a Ford, I want to hear from you!)

By the96stang

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150730_073550-1.jpg
    IMG_5618.jpg
    IMG_5620.jpg
    DSCN3185.jpg
    DSCN3144.jpg
    Turkey_Rod_Run_2013_1.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    20150815_094607.jpg
    IMGA0093.jpg
    IMGA0084.jpg
    IMGA0083.jpg
    IMGA0076.jpg
    IMGA0061.jpg
    IMGA0046.jpg
    There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago

I hauled an em in my 04 mustang convertible with the top down. Had 15k miles when i got it, now has 144k. No major issues.
    also had ranger years ago that hauled many pins. Bought brand new, had 150k on it when sold. Again nothing major.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

I have 99 Explorer I bought 07/2001 with 15k on it it has 267k and still running! I have owned 9 Mustangs and settled down with my '86 5.0 Gt Conv

FB_20150414_19_00_17_Saved_Picture.jpg

Sweet!

#53 8 years ago

I'm a ford guy; a '04 Explorer (pin hauler) and a '10 Mustang GT. Would love to add a Stern Mustang soon..

#54 8 years ago

Have been into fords for years. Not pictured is 1984 svo and 2002 saleen s 281.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-93.jpgimage-93.jpg image-552.jpgimage-552.jpg image-924.jpgimage-924.jpg image-666.jpgimage-666.jpg
    #55 8 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Have been into fords for years

The SHO is cool. Does the LS have a manual transmission? I have only ever seen 2 Lincoln LS's with a stick.

#56 8 years ago

FWIW: i was always a Corvette guy and raced them, both NCCC & SCCA. it was a hoot to send the Porsche guys home in tears, not quite as funny when the Miata guys kept up with us. but on the straight? esp 1/8 mile, the vettes had to go home quietly while the moon was reflected off of blue ovals, pointed at the moon. the night i saw a normally aspirated 289 chew up a Lingenfelter ZR-1, i realized the gravity of our mistake.

still want to see how the new independent rear feels from the old solid axles, but they had me with the exhaust note.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I have heard they are terrible in the snow?

We have a 2010 flex. FWD.

It does a damn nice job in the snow. Much better than the 4WD 96 Explorer Limited it replaced. Have yet to find something about the Flex that we don't like.

Granted, snow means different things to different people. I'm in Indiana, we don't get a TON of winter, but we get enough to make me hate snow and hate driving in it

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

We have a 2010 flex. FWD.
    It does a damn nice job in the snow. Much better than the 4WD 96 Explorer Limited it replaced. Have yet to find something about the Flex that we don't like.
    Granted, snow means different things to different people. I'm in Indiana, we don't get a TON of winter, but we get enough to make me hate snow and hate driving in it

I have one friend that had one and told me that. They liked everything else about it but got rid of it because his wife didn't like it in the snow. I have no frame of reference otherwise.

I had a 98 Explorer with AWD and V8. I'm sure tires are a factor but that thing stuck to the road in snow like no other vehicle I've ever owned.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Have been into fords for years. Not pictured is 1984 svo and 2002 saleen s 281.

image-552.jpg

More info on this SHO and mods you did!

#60 8 years ago

My friend just got a 2015 Escape. It'll fit a pin, but it's tight. Much better fit if it's not a fold-down headboard. The backseats fold down like my F-150, though, making for a huge trunk area. Length isn't a problem, you just need to double check hatch clearance.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The SHO is cool. Does the LS have a manual transmission? I have only ever seen 2 Lincoln LS's with a stick.

Thanks, just gave the sho to my son. Most people don't know they have a Yamaha motor. Pretty crazy they went to Yamaha . The ls is auto but has the selectable gear if you want to shift yourself. I never use if.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nullpunkt:

My friend just got a 2015 Escape. It'll fit a pin, but it's tight. Much better fit if it's not a fold-down headboard. The backseats fold down like my F-150, though, making for a huge trunk area. Length isn't a problem, you just need to double check hatch clearance.

I still have yet to put a pin in my 2015... The old 2005's I had, had no problem... I hate the what the new styling is doing, making the stupid hatches smaller as they slope the roof line like crazy.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

More info on this SHO and mods you did!

Hi Tociko struts and eibach springs, under drive pulleys, cobra r wheels,custom cowl induction hood, cold air kit , led taillights,carbon fiber interior, custom Gages,

image.jpgimage.jpg image-615.jpgimage-615.jpg image-965.jpgimage-965.jpg
    #64 8 years ago

Multi-Generation Ford guy. Current rule, 1 Ford and 1 Audi at all times. My personal opinon, I would go with an Expedition (I've had 2). Gas sucks, but it's versatility is amazing. Seats fold flat, and you can fit an un-cut piece of plywood in the back. As a pinhauler, you can haul 2-3 pins depending on what they are. More importantly they are relatively simple. There cheap to fix, and the shade tree mechanic can still work on them (unlike my audi....)

#65 8 years ago

MJW, Nice SHO. I used to have one just like it (same year and color). Fun car, except when it broke..

#66 8 years ago

I have an older f-150. I use it to transport pins and haul my boat mostly. I tike it a lot. It has been very reliable. But for longer pin transport trips I use my wife's Ford Escape. Way better gas mileage and the added bonus of a roof.

#67 8 years ago

Here is list of Ford Products I have owned or Leased. For you Blue Oval fans.

Own or Owned: 1973 Mercury Montego. 1966 Fairlane 500. 1971 Mustang Convertible. 1971 Mach 1. 1992 Mustang LX Sports Sedan.
    Leased: 2008 Explorer Sport Track. 2010 Explorer XLT. 2012 Escape. 2014 Flex Ltd. (Also a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT).

Years ago, I had a company car, was a 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
    Looking back at this list, only 4 of these vehicles could carry a pinball machine.

#68 8 years ago

Ford F-150 here after a previous one saved my life in an accident with a semi, not buying anything else

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Thanks, just gave the sho to my son. Most people don't know they have a Yamaha motor. Pretty crazy they went to Yamaha . The ls is auto but has the selectable gear if you want to shift yourself. I never use if.

Wasn't the Probe GT a Yamaha motor too?

Quoted from BrianZ:

Current rule, 1 Ford and 1 Audi at all times.

Ha! I've totalled two A6s so far. After the second one, my brother helpfully offered: "Maybe Audi just isn't for you..." Driving too fast, and yes, I have another one. Have slowed down a lot though.

#70 8 years ago

Best bang for buck 2003 or 2004 expedition. 15mpg and hauls two pins and has room for more parts etc. Stay away from 2005 up. F150s sale thing same years but mpg may be lower. Escape and flex are no goes. I own an f150 and two expeditions. Good luck in your search. Do research on 2005 5.4l and you will see why I recommend those years.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Ford Probe was a Mazda 6. Built in Flat Rock, Ford Engine with shared unit body. Ford Almost called the Probe a Mustang IV.

#72 8 years ago

I like old Fords and new Audis.

Some of my Fords over the years:

'67 Mustang convertible.

mustang-before.jpgmustang-before.jpg

'61 Lincoln Continental. Still miss that one.

lincoln-1.jpglincoln-1.jpg

'66 Galaxie, which I put a 429 in. I was into flat black years before it was cool.

2200414361100225603.jpg2200414361100225603.jpg

'69 Torino. My current car. I restored this one mostly by myself over 3 years.

IMG_0953.jpgIMG_0953.jpg

This is how you enjoy the drive!

IMG_0647.jpgIMG_0647.jpg

#73 8 years ago

IMG_1102.JPGIMG_1102.JPG

#74 8 years ago

Everything's been said, but I'll throw in since I'm as die hard Ford as they come (See below pics) . F150's are a given. 02 F150 bought new and put 105k on and never any problems. Sold it for a new 2010 FX4 bought new but only at 29k as it's garaged and driven rarely. It has had a Lund Racing tune on it since new. I finally got a cap for my 2010 last year and much easier to haul when weather's bad and have something that I can use to pull my car trailer. All years of Escape's will fit the bill. I had an 09 Limited AWD and it was great. If you only need a pickup occasionally, I'd lean towards a Flex, Escape or Explorer.

DSCN0739.JPGDSCN0739.JPG DSCN0738.JPGDSCN0738.JPG DSCN1264.JPGDSCN1264.JPG DSCN0749.JPGDSCN0749.JPG DSCN1385.JPGDSCN1385.JPG IMG_7244.JPGIMG_7244.JPG
    #75 8 years ago

FantasyGoat. An amazing line-up.

#76 8 years ago

My 04 Escape has been a champ for ~165k. It's been a very nice pin hauler. System 3 Gottliebs clear, barely, but that is the tallest cab/head I can think of.

#77 8 years ago

You guys like Fords and pinball? I got a story about pinball and a downright legendary (if not sexy) Ford.

So when I went to look a machine a couple weeks ago, the seller was pretty cool while I evaluated it fairly on its own merits and needs both known and not, as a project. We agreed on a fair price quite a bit lower than his ask, and he jokingly lamented that he'd maybe come down too much, as one of his other buddies might be pretty upset for missing out.

"Well, if it makes you or him feel any better, right now I'm paying you more for this project machine than I did for the van we're about to put it in..."

See, in 2012 the agency I work for had a surplus property auction including several vehicles. One of them was a 1994 Aerostar, a true stepchild orphan. But I'd grown up with a 1990 model and my brother trashed a '97 as a budding stormchaser. So, despite the auction mark's feral honeydew sheen of oil all over the engine bay; peeling gasket barely outlining a partially delaminated and bullet-holed windshield; interior carpet wet with the brown of fresh floorpan rust (realist) or spilled cola (optimist), and several other battle scars... I was familiar enough with its species brethren, and solid bones within, to calculate a risk - partially as a joke. Besides, on the plus side, it had no frame or body rust, and a 3.0 with only120K miles.

Surplus.jpgSurplus.jpg

Also helpfully, a scrapyard was only 3 blocks away. If it only ended up being a pusher (we weren’t allowed to start the vehicles) there might not be too far to break even?

So I bid. And I won! The purchasing director actually chuckled and shook his head when he gave me the keys.

At first, even though it turned out it almost had a full tank of gas (ha, score $75 back!) I thought he made the better deal: the damn thing wouldn't even go above 50mph. And it really was filthy. Oh, and the windshield leaked (no surprise, really).

But a weekend of elbow grease and a $100 of TLC and mainetenance had it running like a champ, even pegging the needle on the highway. Got cleaned out and comfy, no worse than a typical family truckster. Sealed the windshield first with tape (which actually worked) then caulk (when the tape inevitably peeled, ha). Rented the van back to the agency when we moved the following year, making my purchase money back and then some!

20140730_203903.jpg20140730_203903.jpg

So yeah, as that was almost 3 years and 20,000 miles ago... the Aerobarge can't be beat. It's been to Chicago a few times and Michigan twice, even pulling an impossible Duke-boys stunt in front of stunned onlookers (that's both another story and reason I love Whirlwind's backglass so much). Falling into the pinball rabbithole was due in no small part to having a ready hauler. And two pins is just the tip of the list of non-everyday things it's hauled including bourbon barrels, a literal ton of loose mulch, a multi-million-dollar data center, and the front bodywork of a '65 Mustang.

Yeah, maybe you gotta think outside the box just a tad, get a bit lucky, and find a box with a loped-off ramp as a snout looking for a second lease on life.

I bid $263 and change on the van.

The FireProject was $300…

The head is already unloaded hahaThe head is already unloaded haha

Yeah, so it’s no Ranchero, Torino, Mustang or other classic. But I’ve always had a weird fetish for everyday survivors (owing to the infamous Granada my family had growing up, I don’t think Uncle Buck’s Mercury Marquis gets near the credit it should as a “hollywood classic” ha ha).

BargePop.jpgBargePop.jpg

PS: as for Ford cred I still have my first car, an ‘88 Tbird (as garden decor for the moment), have owned two ‘97 T-bird 4.6 sports (still have one); have a 2010 Flex Limited, and resurrected a ‘75 Lincoln Mark IV a few years back for show and shine duty. Also helped the inlaws (with their own Ford heritage too long to list) restore a ‘66 Mustang convertible, and would love to get the ‘29 Model A roadster pickup put back together, but… yeah. No garage = no projects, for now. Pinballs are small enough to fit in the house!

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

You guys like Fords and pinball? I got a story about pinball and a downright legendary (if not sexy) Ford.

great story! you and my dad would get along great... being the oldest of 7, i had to pay for every cent of every thing i wanted once i had a job (age 12 on) but by the time the younger ones were trying to get on the road he had softened considerably and was taking more of a fleet approach to things. at one point his driveway contained (amongst other vehicles) no less than 4 2nd gen Taurus wagons - 3 forest green, one dark blue - oh, and a sedan parts car his mechanic kept behind the shop until it looked like it had been left overnight in Harlem. he did most of the maint himself but the big stuff, like completely rusted-out motor mounts and the like. i think he owned a dozen of them over the years, and even more Dodge Caravans, which were his other go-to. and i can tell you first-hand, on a decent crest of a hill it only takes about 65 mph to Dukes-of-Hazzard a Caravan. they fly exceptionally well.

yes, i've always driven 'em like i stole 'em but only alone. i'm the safest driver in the world when i have a passenger but have a factory defect (heavy foot) that has been somewhat expensive over the years. triple-digit speeding tickets, fleeing-and-eluding charges once in my mid-20's which i fought in court without counsel and got knocked down to a no-points "failure to obey traffic signal devices" with a $50 dollar fine. didn't get back those two nights in jail though. cops either love me or hate me, used to drive the local chief of police home when he'd had too much to drink and get stuck talking about Harleys while his (now ex) wife angrily cooked us breakfast at 3am. anyone around here will know exactly who i'm talking about instantly, he was a bit notorious. when the chief cop in your town for 17 years has a teardrop tattoo, you've gotta pay attention...

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Ford Probe was a Mazda 6. Built in Flat Rock, Ford Engine with shared unit body. Ford Almost called the Probe a Mustang IV.

spot on, thanks. i remember reading that they considered that move with the Mustang... glad they didn't. i loved the GT's torque curve in the upper rpms but damn, did they tend to fall apart after a while with electrical problems galore.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Ha! I've totalled two A6s so far. After the second one, my brother helpfully offered: "Maybe Audi just isn't for you..." Driving too fast, and yes, I have another one. Have slowed down a lot though.

Not sure on the probe.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Everything's been said, but I'll throw in since I'm as die hard Ford as they come (See below pics) . F150's are a given. 02 F150 bought new and put 105k on and never any problems. Sold it for a new 2010 FX4 bought new but only at 29k as it's garaged and driven rarely. It has had a Lund Racing tune on it since new. I finally got a cap for my 2010 last year and much easier to haul when weather's bad and have something that I can use to pull my car trailer. All years of Escape's will fit the bill. I had an 09 Limited AWD and it was great. If you only need a pickup occasionally, I'd lean towards a Flex, Escape or Explorer.

DSCN0739.JPG
    DSCN0738.JPG
    DSCN1264.JPG
    DSCN0749.JPG
    DSCN1385.JPG
    IMG_7244.JPG

Nice garage!

3 weeks later
    #82 8 years ago

Hooked - 2005 5.4l cam phaser issue? Easy fix from livernois, friend just did it on his 2005 f150. Hardest part was getting the valve covers off.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

The probe had Mazda engines or ford 3.0 Vulcan engine. No Yamaha for that coupe. However, some people have dropped the sho engine in. That could be fun!

#84 8 years ago

I've owned two SVT Lightnings (1994 and 2000) and now own a more practical 2012 F150 - all of them black on black. I owned an M3 for about 4 months in before trading it in for my new truck. I guess I'm just a truck guy. I'm taking the wife shopping for a new vehicle this weekend and think we're once again going to go Ford.

#85 8 years ago

What do you think you'll get for the wife?

I like my 1(' escape but only got that over the explorer sport or f150 because of my tuck under garage.

#86 8 years ago

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited which I purchased new. Has about 24K miles on it and haven't had a problem yet. I have moved 15+ pins in the the back since owning it and never had a problem - it fits a folded pin fine ... besides my Banzai Run I recently purchased I love the car

#87 8 years ago

My 68' Ford Pinball Hauler...

shaq.jpgshaq.jpg

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

What do you think you'll get for the wife?
    I like my 1(' escape but only got that over the explorer sport or f150 because of my tuck under garage.

Ha, oddly enough she likes the Escape, but I'm more into the Explorer Sport. We'll see this weekend I suppose.

#89 8 years ago

Here's mine 2014 F-150 FX4
    first pic is just after I got her...
    [attachment=2544884,undefined caption="P6300054.JPG"]

2nd 1 is in Jan. after I added the lid and a Bed-Rug for my Christmas and Birthday present!
    [attachment=2544884,undefined caption="10978672_10200376766937237_5240058411685966473_n.jpg"]

Phoebe

#90 8 years ago

Here's My OJ-Edition 1995 Ford Bronco, it hauls pins, AND get's terrible gas mileage! GREAT!!!

20150614_114952.jpg20150614_114952.jpg
    20150614_115029.jpg20150614_115029.jpg

2 weeks later
    #91 8 years ago

Just to rebump this thread.

I ended up buying a beat up 2002 F150 Irrigation truck. Always maintained, never plowed. It has some bumps and bruises but I found a parts truck that I pulled the seats, hood, bumpers, turn signals and probably more stuff off of. Im into the thing for like 3k, it looks presentable, and has less than 50k miles on it. Heres a few pics.

F1503.jpgF1503.jpg

F1502.jpgF1502.jpg

F150.jpgF150.jpg

#92 8 years ago

My avatar says it all. 1970 Mustang. Just had it's 45th birthday this past May 1st.

Mustang_at_BIR_1980.jpgMustang_at_BIR_1980.jpg

Mustang_at_BIR_1989.jpgMustang_at_BIR_1989.jpg

Mustang_at_BIR_19892.jpgMustang_at_BIR_19892.jpg

Mustang_Lori__Me_1989_at_Bills.jpgMustang_Lori__Me_1989_at_Bills.jpg

#93 8 years ago

2013 F-150 crew cab here. Had a '66 Mustang coupe for close to 20 years and never had problems with that 200 six.

Also......Ford didn't need no stinkin' bailout!

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Also......Ford didn't need no stinkin' bailout!

Yup! Bailouts are for boats.

#95 8 years ago

I used to have a pinball machine that was like a Ford.

I used to have to "Fix Or Repair it Daily".

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I used to have a pinball machine that was like a Ford.
    I used to have to "Fix Or Repair it Daily".

get it right First on Race Day!

#99 8 years ago

Some of my Ford's past and present. Only have the FX4 and wife's Foci out of them now.

DSCN0739.jpgDSCN0739.jpg

DSCN0736.jpgDSCN0736.jpg

DSCN1264.jpgDSCN1264.jpg

DSCN1409.jpgDSCN1409.jpg

F150_001.jpgF150_001.jpg

F150_004.jpgF150_004.jpg

DSCN1389.jpgDSCN1389.jpg

IMG_0412.jpgIMG_0412.jpg

#100 8 years ago

Had a 2007 Ford Escape until two weeks ago. It hauled more pins then I can count.
    Just bought a 2015 Escape Titanium Edition and had already hauled an EM pin back home in it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fords-and-pinballs-drive-a-ford-i-want-to-hear-from-you/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.