20200223_090323 (resized).jpg
20200223_090345 (resized).jpg
20190915_112417 (resized).jpg
dbnghpn-ee7bfdf3-b60d-46bc-ae34-319862ea3192 (resized).png
0C735E1C-3154-4F0A-B013-28B250ABBDF4 (resized).jpeg
A2921C48-1328-4C83-BDEE-EE933C1C48F4 (resized).jpeg
D419E384-C5F7-4189-8EA0-F24B4B81070F (resized).jpeg
8EC953D2-E9CB-410E-9027-8900F0E8E64B (resized).jpeg

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 1 year ago

I could only talk one of my kids into seeing it with me last weekend. He and I really enjoyed it. Sounded like a good movie but wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I had my doubts about some of the actors like Matt Damon but they all did a great job. Movie was long but didn't feel like it. Story was very entertaining and you really got into the characters. Ken Miles was a lot of fun to watch. The racing scenes were a bit Hollywood but that's okay. What surprised me was how well they turned a car story, heavy into racing and made it into a great story everyone would enjoy.

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from ismiglif:

Some related viewing is now available on Netflix:
"The 24 Hour War" was released a few years ago and I thought it was great. Worth a rewatch now after FvF.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80158800?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

Just watched this yesterday - lots of additional fascinating info regarding the actual Ford vs Ferrari competition!

Interesting how Leo Beebe, the Ford exec "villain" in the movie, isn't really mentioned in this documentary.

#203 1 year ago

I went with my son yesterday and we both enjoyed this movie. My stepfather is into and owns several vintage cars and motorcycles and has taken my son to a few car shows. I know some of the facts are distorted but it was a good movie.

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Just watched this yesterday - lots of additional fascinating info regarding the actual Ford vs Ferrari competition!
Interesting how Leo Beebe, the Ford exec "villain" in the movie, isn't really mentioned in this documentary.

Agree - his "decision" is a little more important to the Ken Miles story arc than the overall race I guess.

Incidentally, I went over to Vashon Island last Saturday to pickup a machine and their little one screen theater there had a special showing of FvF the night before with a post film Q&A with Josh Lucas, the actor who played Beebe. He must be a local guy. Missed it by a day.

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from ismiglif:

Incidentally, I went over to Vashon Island last Saturday to pickup a machine and their little one screen theater there had a special showing of FvF the night before with a post film Q&A with Josh Lucas, the actor who played Beebe. He must be a local guy. Missed it by a day.

That would be cool to attend! According to their website it's happening (again?) this Friday.

https://vashontheatre.com/calendar/special-screening-of-ford-vs-ferrari-with-q-a-guest-josh-lucas

Although he apparently lived in lots of places growing up, he attended/graduated high school in Gig Harbor and his mother subsequently lives on Vashon.

3 weeks later
#206 1 year ago

I'm stoked! Our theatre finally got Ford vs Ferrari. 8pm Showtime. Lighting up now and have my pen loaded for half way thru

#207 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm stoked! Our theatre finally got Ford vs Ferrari. 8pm Showtime. Lighting up now and have my pen loaded for half way thru

It's a great show.

Did you cry at the end?

QSS

#208 1 year ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

It's a great show.
Did you cry at the end?
QSS

Dude. I was totally crying at the end. Man I thought it was great. I'd totally watch it again and recommend it to any gear head

#209 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Dude. I was totally crying at the end. Man I thought it was great. I'd totally watch it again and recommend it to any gear head

Yeah me too. I'm a huge Shelby and Ford GT fan and an owner. I knew the whole story before I even went and saw the movie but I was still wiping tears at the end. Just a great show.

QSS

1 month later
#210 1 year ago

Saw this with my friend last night at a budget theater before it left theaters permanently.

Her and I were both really glad we did!

My experience on the subject is limited, hers more so, but we were both so damn engaged by the passionate friendship and perseverance these two men showed with and for one another. Great story about fighting against all odds, loyalty not just when it's convenient, and two people sharing focus.

Felt like a movie from another era frankly, and sadly. No agendas. No forced casting. Just an isolated story, told as it should and needed to be told.

Congrats to everyone involved, and man Damon and Bale both deserve more recognition for their roles.

Just looked, and crazy that they didn't receive Oscar noms. James Mangold, neither, but at least Best Picture, Editing, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

Thanks @Odin for making this thread, and for everyone else for talking about, and keeping this out there in the discussion ether!

#211 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

Saw this with my friend last night at a budget theater before it left theaters permanently.
Her and I were both really glad we did!
My experience on the subject is limited, hers more so, but we were both so damn engaged by the passionate friendship and perseverance these two men showed with and for one another. Great story about fighting against all odds, loyalty not just when it's convenient, and two people sharing focus.
Felt like a movie from another era frankly, and sadly. No agendas. No forced casting. Just an isolated story, told as it should and needed to be told.
Congrats to everyone involved, and man Damon and Bale both deserve more recognition for their roles.
Just looked, and crazy that they didn't receive Oscar noms. James Mangold, neither, but at least Best Picture, Editing, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.
Thanks @Odin for making this thread, and for everyone else for talking about, and keeping this out there in the discussion ether!

It was a great movie, right!

QSS

#212 1 year ago

Great movie, it was a blast!

#213 1 year ago

It was certainly refreshing to see swagger and confidence, combined with excellence and perseverance.

I think for me, in an age when everyone wishes to state they are excellent on a global platform, it's astonishing to see when excellence only gained a voice, via deeds and actions on a global platform, and not an artificially digitized one.

#214 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

Glad you liked it! Believe me, it takes a lot for me to get excited about any movie these days.

I'm still wondering where they got all those 1963 Falcons on the assembly line from.

#215 1 year ago

Went last weekend with my wife to have lunch with some friends of hers. Saw Ford vs Ferrari playing at the cheap theatre and had her drop me off there instead.

I think this be a must stop and watch wherever it is movie on TV for me in the future.

#216 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm still wondering where they got all those 1963 Falcons on the assembly line from.

Side topic. I wish there was a time machine, or even just a rewind button just to watch the past. But I'd love to go back and just wonder some assembly lines. Would love to see some cars, or even WWII airplanes being built.

Here in Indy we have the Stutz building. It's where they made the Stutz cars, and you can currently walk through the building as its now shared office spaces. You can still smell the grease and oil. All the car lifts are still in there. Some still working. We also have an old Model T or A, ( forget which one) that they're turning into a high end business building. I missed the chance to walk through it as part of a photo tour a couple years ago before they started working on it.

6 months later
#217 9 months ago

Ho. Lee. Shit. What an EPIC movie mans!
Wife and I watched last night and damn....best movie I've seen in a lonnnng time. Hell, even the wife loved it!
Growing up literally on Indianapolis Motor Speedway property, I'm disappointed in myself for not remembering this story. And goddamn, it is truly one of the greatest racing stories ever. Had me googling the real story until 3 am.
Fuck those Ford brass for wanting him to sandbag it. DAMMIT MAN. I was pissed at the end. But still....such a great film.
3 thumbs up!

#218 9 months ago

It was a really good movie with amazing sound mixing.

#219 9 months ago

The sound and soundtrack was superb. We didn't even watch on the nice tv either dammit. Now I gotta watch again.

#220 9 months ago

Shelby should've kept his fuckin mouth SHUT dammit.
LET THE MAN DO WHAT HE DOES BEST!

#221 9 months ago

Best racing movie since Rush. I could watch either again and again....

#222 9 months ago

Seen it three times so far...

#223 9 months ago

It's my favorite movie of the last 10 years. It even had me interested in modern auto racing for about a week- haha.

#224 9 months ago

Saw it twice in the theatre. Sounded great. Imax would have rocked I bet. Now where's quicksilvershelby with some more pics of his gt40?

#225 9 months ago

We have a theater room with HK's. But the new 65" with sound bar is next viewing. Guess I'll be watching this over and over. And I'm ok with that.

#226 9 months ago

Dirk I REALLY wanna come party with you!

#227 9 months ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Saw it twice in the theatre. Sounded great. Imax would have rocked I bet. Now where's quicksilvershelby with some more pics of his gt40?

Here ya go.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ho. Lee. Shit. What an EPIC movie mans!
Wife and I watched last night and DAMN....best movie I've seen in a lonnnng time. Hell, even the wife loved it!
Growing up literally on Indianapolis Motor Speedway property, I'm disappointed in myself for not remembering this story. And goddamn, it is truly one of the GREATEST racing stories ever. Had me googling the real story until 3 am.
Fuck those Ford brass for wanting him to sandbag it. DAMMIT MAN. I was pissed at the end. But still....such a great film.
3 thumbs up!

Love your enthusiasm. The Shelby story is epic and I am a Shelby fanboy. Shelby is a legend and my wife and I are "all in" on the Shelby/Ford GT story for over 20 years now.

QSS
20190915_112417 (resized).jpg

#228 9 months ago

First movie we watched in my recently completed theater. Really great story, incredible cars and photography.

20200223_090323 (resized).jpg20200223_090345 (resized).jpg
#229 9 months ago

I❤beaver. Lol

Love your enthusiasm. The Shelby story is epic and I am a Shelby fanboy. Shelby is a legend and my wife and I are "all in" on the Shelby/Ford GT story for over 20 years now.
QSS
[quoted image]

#230 9 months ago

Love your enthusiasm. The Shelby story is epic and I am a Shelby fanboy. Shelby is a legend and my wife and I are "all in" on the Shelby/Ford GT story.
QSS
[quoted image]

Always curious what you'r looking at at the scoop on the hood? Vents?

#231 9 months ago

Haven’t been to the new Yorba Linda IMAX, but saw many IMAX movies down at Irvine Spectrum. But none of them are really IMAX anymore, just big glorified digital laser projections. That is, there is no film. Or as some like to call them, Liemax. I think the last movie filmed in true IMAX (mostly) shown at the Spectrum with the real 70mm film projectors was Interstellar. Luckily the trailers convinced me not to go to see that dumb movie. If I remember right, the last real IMAX movie I saw there was Matrix Revolutions. A few years after that there was Dark Knight which had just a few scenes filmed with the IMAX 70mm cameras, and those were pretty badass. Pretty much everything since has been digital laser projections from a hard drive. Still huge screens, awesome sound, lots of detail, but it’s not the same. Cue the arguments that life advances and all the new stuff is better.

Also, don’t kid yourself that you saw a 100% real movie made with all real cars and no CGI cars. There’s plenty of CGI in that movie. It’s like Mad Max Fury Road, same thing , tons of real vehicles, awesome chase scenes, awesome stunt driving, etc, but still plenty of CGI mixed in. This is just the way things are now. Go back and watch Mad Max and Road Warrior for full-on mayhem with real vehicles. Of course Bullitt and French Connection. Or Le Mans from 1972.

#232 9 months ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Always curious what you'r looking at at the scoop on the hood? Vents?

Yup, those are cooling vents. There's some big ass fans under the hood that force air past radiators that help cool the car.

QSS

#233 9 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Haven’t been to the new Yorba Linda IMAX, but saw many IMAX movies down at Irvine Spectrum. But none of them are really IMAX anymore, just big glorified digital laser projections. That is, there is no film. Or as some like to call them, Liemax. I think the last movie filmed in true IMAX (mostly) shown at the Spectrum with the real 70mm film projectors was Interstellar. Luckily the trailers convinced me not to go to see that dumb movie. If I remember right, the last real IMAX movie I saw there was Matrix Revolutions. A few years after that there was Dark Knight which had just a few scenes filmed with the IMAX 70mm cameras, and those were pretty badass. Pretty much everything since has been digital laser projections from a hard drive. Still huge screens, awesome sound, lots of detail, but it’s not the same. Cue the arguments that life advances and all the new stuff is better.
Also, don’t kid yourself that you saw a 100% real movie made with all real cars and no CGI cars. There’s plenty of CGI in that movie. It’s like Mad Max Fury Road, same thing , tons of real vehicles, awesome chase scenes, awesome stunt driving, etc, but still plenty of CGI mixed in. This is just the way things are now. Go back and watch Mad Max and Road Warrior for full-on mayhem with real vehicles. Of course Bullitt and French Connection. Or Le Mans from 1972.

Don't grab my dick outta my hand man thanks.

#234 9 months ago

The sound of a Shelby Cobra is orgasmic to me. Pure sex.
Always been my favorite engine.

#235 9 months ago

PS, Rush was pretty good too. If you liked it, try to watch 1 if you can. That is, the movie (actually a documentary) is named simply “1”. Nothing like seeing the actual real events and the actual real people. Be warned, it is not a fully cheerful event, there is lots of bad stuff in there, which of course actually happened.

The very opening scene of 1 is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I have watched it a thousand times and it gives me chills every time.

#236 9 months ago

This was the best movie I've seen since the Martian.
Boston HC posts only from here on out.

#237 9 months ago

Bostonian hard core thank you.

#238 9 months ago

I watched the TV documentary "AutoBiography: The Story of Ford vs Ferrari" before the movie. The engineering history that documentary detailed was fascinating. I was looking forward to some of that drama played out in more detail in the movie, but understandably it focused more on the people involved and especially the driver. Anyway, highly recommend that documentary. (hint: torrent is your friend)

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/the-story-of-ford-vs-ferrari/108907/

amazon.com link »

Trying to find that, I came across a couple of other interesting ones:

There's "The 24 Hour War" and "Shelby American" on Netflix, and a couple on youtube:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80158800

https://www.netflix.com/title/81218074

#239 9 months ago

20 years ago my neighbor in NC had to quickly move to St. Louis. He left his 98 Shelby Cobra Mustang with me to sell for him. It was by far, the most fun I've ever had driving a car. One day I'll have a Shelby.

#240 9 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Dirk I REALLY wanna come party with you!

Wife doesn't think you'd be able to keep up

I've always wanted to do indy 500. Maybe I can convince the ol lady when this covid shit is done. We'll do it up big time gryszz

#241 9 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

PS, Rush was pretty good too. If you liked it, try to watch 1 if you can. That is, the movie (actually a documentary) is named simply “1”. Nothing like seeing the actual real events and the actual real people. Be warned, it is not a fully cheerful event, there is lots of bad stuff in there, which of course actually happened.
The very opening scene of 1 is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I have watched it a thousand times and it gives me chills every time.

Looks like it's available to watch on Amazon Prime..!

amazon.com link »

#242 9 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Looks like it's available to watch on Amazon Prime..!
amazon.com link »

Thanks dude!

#243 9 months ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Wife doesn't think you'd be able to keep up
I've always wanted to do indy 500. Maybe I can convince the ol lady when this covid shit is done. We'll do it up big time gryszz

Haha! She's probably right. But I'll give it the ole college try!

#244 9 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Haha! She's probably right. But I'll give it the ole college try!

Ah what does she know? She tapped out at 7pm tonight. I'm watching NHL playoffs on one tv and have the pga on the other. I'll be passed out in a hr. Lol

#245 9 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

20 years ago my neighbor in NC had to quickly move to St. Louis. He left his 98 Shelby Cobra Mustang with me to sell for him. It was by far, the most fun I've ever had driving a car. One day I'll have a Shelby.

My very first car was a Shelby. Okay, maybe it was the forgotten Shelby, the Dodge Daytona Shelby, but it was still a true Carrol Shelby that he personally added his magic touches to. I had the CS Turbo II 2.2l, and it was also a riot. It was a real adrenaline rush feeling the acceleration when the turbo came in hard because the acceleration came all at once after a short lag. Today's turbos minimize lag and power comes on smoothly and less exciting. To add to the excitement, being front wheel drive, it had crazy torque-steer when the turbo hit hard.

ron_shelby (resized).jpg

#246 9 months ago

The Dodge Daytona Shelby! Forgot all about that one, thankfully.

#247 9 months ago

Before this movie, I never realized there was a 24 hour Daytona either. I don't follow racing closely, I went to the 500 for the party. But the 24 hour race format died off somehow, not sure why. Would be stoked to watch one of those.

#248 9 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I had that car in 1989. Used it to deliver pizza!

#249 9 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

This. Even more forgetful:

shelby (resized).jpg

#250 9 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ha, yeah, I knew that was coming, so just added it myself...

But if you had driven one, you wouldn't have forgotten.

The GLHS even makes this list of Top 10 Shelby cars. You gotta love a guy that gives it the acronym for Goes Like Hell. Mine had the same engine as the most upgraded Goes Like Hell S'more model, but in a cool body!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/top-10-shelby-cars-of-all-time.html

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside