20200223_090323 (resized).jpg
20200223_090345 (resized).jpg
20190915_112417 (resized).jpg
dbnghpn-ee7bfdf3-b60d-46bc-ae34-319862ea3192 (resized).png
0C735E1C-3154-4F0A-B013-28B250ABBDF4 (resized).jpeg
A2921C48-1328-4C83-BDEE-EE933C1C48F4 (resized).jpeg
D419E384-C5F7-4189-8EA0-F24B4B81070F (resized).jpeg
8EC953D2-E9CB-410E-9027-8900F0E8E64B (resized).jpeg
There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I get a little claustrophobic when someone sits right next to me.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe you shouldn’t go to the movies anymore.

It's like being afraid of animals and hanging out at a zoo.

Quoted from o-din:

NimblePin is trying to get me pumped up for another Imax experience. Has this guy ever won an Oscar?

God that movie looks bad.
No wins, he was nominated for Magnolia as far as I remember

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

God that movie looks bad.

The world has become such a rehash. I remember when the first one came out we took the girls because that is what they wanted to see.

They really need Tom Skerritt to complete the over the hill gang on this one.

#153 4 years ago

The wife proactively asked if I wanted to go see this one. Heck yes! Tuesdays here are $5 movies, so standard theater for an 8:30pm showing. The movie was fantastic! Biggest downside - 20+ minutes of previews. Seriously? But whatever, totally worth it. Highly recommend this one. Keeps your blood pumping, that's for sure.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

Biggest downside - 20+ minutes of previews. Seriously?

20 minutes of computer animated crap is what we had to sit thru. New Star Wars, new Jumanji, new Dr Doolittle, and two more I forget. The world must be in love with it's computer generated rehashes, but I am not.

#155 4 years ago

Went in with low expectations and came out feeling like it was 2019’s best film!

The film was about two men and their conviction to the sport.....oh yeah and then there’s the whole Ford stuck it to Ferrari thing (and even more so to Ken Miles).

You’re missing out if you don’t catch this in imax.

Great great film!

#156 4 years ago

Odin... Amber and I went to see it (but unfortunately not IMAX) and we also both thought it was great!!

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Odin... Amber and I went to see it (but unfortunately not IMAX) and we also both thought it was great!!

Glad you liked it! As you know, I don't get out much without a real good reason.

I told your brother about it when he was up Sunday, hope he gets a chance to take it in too.

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's like being afraid of animals and hanging out at a zoo.

You probably meant petting zoo.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

You probably meant petting zoo.

I didn;t think you were old enough to go to the kind of movie theatres where they pet you?

Dude, we're hanging out, I like your style

#160 4 years ago

This movie is now one of my top 5 favorites.

Delivered everything it promised. I drive a Shelby Cobra replica so I kind of have a dog in this fight, and was not disappointed whatsoever.

I highly recommend this movie, especially if you're a gear-head or are into racing.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I drive a Shelby Cobra replica so I kind of have a dog in this fight, and was not disappointed whatsoever.

When I was first getting my drivers license those replicas did not exist. However a used original one could be had for about $10k. That was a little steep when a comparable Porsche or Corvette could be had for about $5k. Really though, there was nothing comparable about it.

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

20 minutes of computer animated crap is what we had to sit thru. New Star Wars, new Jumanji, new Dr Doolittle, and two more I forget. The world must be in love with it's computer generated rehashes, but I am not.

Maybe you can start a thread called I don't like your movies

#163 4 years ago

I was really looking forward to this movie, from the moment I heard about it being made. My wife and I saw it while in Chicago for the weekend (Hamilton at 2PM, then Ford v Ferrari at 7PM).

I'm currently building a Cobra replica, and work for the blue oval - so maybe I'm a bit biased - but I came away thinking it was a great movie. I was hoping for more on the development of the car, and the telling of the backstory regarding the Cobra -> Daytona Coupe -> GT40 progression, but in the end I didn't feel disappointed by the parts that were glossed over or omitted.

It'll probably be on the short list of movies I could watch over and over again, and that I can't turn off once I come across them while channel surfing (The Hunt for Red October, for example). After seeing Hamilton, I understand the hype. It was really, really good. But I loved this movie.

Lastly, I'm a bit shocked that the "Next year, Ferrari's ass is mine" quote didn't make the script.

#164 4 years ago

Ordered a Shelby Collectible Ken Miles GT40. I'd been wanting to get one for a few years. Knew the significance of the GT's finishing in the top three, but I was always torn between which version I wanted to get. After seeing the movie, I decided that'll be Ken Miles.

And it'll go on my shelf with the other 1:18th movie cars.

Right now I have:
Bullitt - Mustang
Vanishing Point - Challenger
70's Gone in 60 Seconds - Mustang
Back to the Future - Delorean
89 Batmobile
Gone in 60 Second - Mustang
Batman Begins - Tumbler
Transformers - Camaro
And a Shelby GT500KR. Was the closest I could find to my black 2006 GT with the custom Matte Black racing stripes I put on. But was also the car they used for Knight Rider.

cars (resized).jpgcars (resized).jpg
#165 4 years ago

Great show! Stayed for the whole thing. At 2 1/2 hours, had my doubts but the writing and acting make it work.
Why did they change the part about Ken Miles going to LeMans the first year? Or is Wikipedia wrong?

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from Mach5Amps:

I'm currently building a Cobra replica,....

And how far along are you? I built mine 25 years ago, and was burning midnite oil to put it together. Took 8 months from start to finish, couldn't wait.

98,000 miles since then, mostly a quarter mile at a time.
cobra-boulder080319 (resized).jpgcobra-boulder080319 (resized).jpg

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

And how far along are you? I built mine 25 years ago, and was burning midnite oil to put it together. Took 8 months from start to finish, couldn't wait.
98,000 miles since then, mostly a quarter mile at a time.
[quoted image]

Nice!

Mine's a seven year plan. I'm just short of installing the hard brake lines right now.

Whenever I need a bit of motivation, I take the storage bag off my engine and just look at it for a few minutes.

7CF57085-9FE0-4FAC-A187-5D84DA7625C9 (resized).jpeg7CF57085-9FE0-4FAC-A187-5D84DA7625C9 (resized).jpeg74233BCB-DF48-43FF-99C4-D2164260772A (resized).jpeg74233BCB-DF48-43FF-99C4-D2164260772A (resized).jpeg
#168 4 years ago

This was a really good movie. Saw it in Vegas at Sam’s Town for ~$6.50.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from Mach5Amps:

Nice!
Mine's a seven year plan. I'm just short of installing the hard brake lines right now.
Whenever I need a bit of motivation, I take the storage bag off my engine and just look at it for a few minutes.[quoted image][quoted image]

Woodward Cruise right in your neighborhood. I have been going to the cruise since the very beginning, when I lived in Chicago. There's the Great Lakes Cobra Club that gets parking on Woodward in Birmingham for the cruise, so you should get that together and hang with that crowd.

#170 4 years ago

What the truck!?!?

#171 4 years ago

No movie is worth $18 in the theater today or for that matter over the past 20 years

#172 4 years ago

This is probably the best racing movie ever. I give this movie a 10 out of 10. Amazing movie probably best movie of the year. Go see it.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Why did they change the part about Ken Miles going to LeMans the first year? Or is Wikipedia wrong?

As they say in Hollywood - Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

If you believe the movie, only 2 people and a few hangers-on made the GT40 in the States. Which isn’t the case at all. The first 3 versions were made in England, including the 1966 LeMans cars.

I like how Denny Hulme, Miles co-driver in the LeMans race, and F1 World Champion, didn’t even get a mention.

Still an enjoyable movie - but like any movie, don’t take everything for gospel.

rd

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What the truck!?!?

Video seriously looks like an snl spoof and that cybertruck is ugly as f*ck!

God bless him he sure keeps busy though don’t he?

#175 4 years ago

Seems Musk is about 35 years too late to make a villain vehicle for an 80's movie.

#176 4 years ago

Some related viewing is now available on Netflix:

"The 24 Hour War" was released a few years ago and I thought it was great. Worth a rewatch now after FvF.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80158800?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

"Shelby American" just came out this week.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81218074?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

Like others, I built my own roadster a few years back and if Pinball would stop sucking all my time and money, I would have it painted and done. But for now it's still a nice way to burn rubber and gasoline at the same time.

FB_IMG_1574445486099 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1574445486099 (resized).jpgIMG_1119 (resized).jpgIMG_1119 (resized).jpg
#177 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Maybe you can start a thread called I don't like your movies

I suppose I could follow that up with I don't like your music.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

This is probably the best racing movie ever. I give this movie a 10 out of 10. Amazing movie probably best movie of the year. Go see it.

If you liked this, watch Rush. Both great movies.

#179 4 years ago

If you want to see the real thing, go to the Shelby American Collection in Boulder Colorado. I have been around race cars most of my life and this place impressed me.

#180 4 years ago

Images from the Shelby museum in Boulder CO
img002 (resized).jpgimg002 (resized).jpgimg010 (resized).jpgimg010 (resized).jpgimg015 (resized).jpgimg015 (resized).jpg

#181 4 years ago

Movie was great! Bale was amazing. They played a little loose with the facts but it added to the entertainment value. My garage is Ford vs Ferrari. ‘05 Ford GT vs ‘12 Ferrari 458. The GT is much faster because it’s twin turbo with a little over 1,000 RWHP. Drive the 458 as my daily though. However the GT is the most fun I have had with a car. Truly a timeless classic!

8EC953D2-E9CB-410E-9027-8900F0E8E64B (resized).jpeg8EC953D2-E9CB-410E-9027-8900F0E8E64B (resized).jpegA2921C48-1328-4C83-BDEE-EE933C1C48F4 (resized).jpegA2921C48-1328-4C83-BDEE-EE933C1C48F4 (resized).jpegD419E384-C5F7-4189-8EA0-F24B4B81070F (resized).jpegD419E384-C5F7-4189-8EA0-F24B4B81070F (resized).jpeg0C735E1C-3154-4F0A-B013-28B250ABBDF4 (resized).jpeg0C735E1C-3154-4F0A-B013-28B250ABBDF4 (resized).jpeg
#182 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Images from the Shelby museum in Boulder CO
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just amazing the value of Shelby cars today. I go to the Mecum auction here in Indy every year and watch all sorts of Shelby's bring $200k to half a million. And not to mention the more rare stuff and what it brings. Also made me wonder, will there ever be another type of Shelby? You've got all sorts of tuners out there, but is there anyone doing today, what Shelby did then?

#183 4 years ago

i was reading a major Toronto paper. I caught the movie review. It said it as a terrible movie about terrible men who should be left in the past. The paper was upset that it didnt touch on any of todays social issues. At that point , i knew it was a must see. Really enjoyable film.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

i was reading a major Toronto paper. I caught the movie review. It said it as a terrible movie about terrible men who should be left in the past.

dbnghpn-ee7bfdf3-b60d-46bc-ae34-319862ea3192 (resized).pngdbnghpn-ee7bfdf3-b60d-46bc-ae34-319862ea3192 (resized).png
#185 4 years ago

My wife and I went to see it this afternoon. We both thoroughly enjoy the movie and are keen to learn more about the story and the people involved. The actors played their parts extremely well, Matt Damon carried the part of Shelby very well and Christian Bale played Ken Miles brilliantly. See it on the big screen!

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I drive a Shelby Cobra replica

One of my favourite cars , I saw 5 of them today while having lunch plus Ferraris , Bentleys and a new McLaren so many cool cars . It was a perfect day so everyone was cruising up and down the coast . A 427 made the ground shake .

#187 4 years ago

A friend of mine saw this yesterday.

Said the average age of the crowd besides him was probably 70.

I guess this one skews older?

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well it doesn't have Vin Diesel in it

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Well it doesn't have Vin Diesel in it

The funny thing is that Vin Diesel is 3 years older than Matt Damon.

#190 4 years ago

Own the movie GT40 replica:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-397442/1966-superformance-ford-gt40-mkii/

It appears to have oxygen sensors fitted.

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m taking an 8 year old, 12 year old and 26 year old to the screen x version (projects on side walls) tonight, so I’m doing my part to bring the age down...

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

One of my favourite cars , I saw 5 of them today while having lunch

The Fiberglass replicas look so wrong to me. Never understood the fascination with building one of them when you could get an aluminum bodied Autokraft.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

The Fiberglass replicas look so wrong to me. Never understood the fascination with building one of them when you could get an aluminum bodied Autokraft.

Pretty sure you don't own a replica.

Actually the fiberglass replicas look almost perfectly right and in some cases, much more comfortable and driver-friendly. And, unless you're a glutton for punishment, aluminum is the worst choice for a car that you actually drive on the street. Body integrity was awful back when Shelby (and Autokraft) were trying to hammer out a car. Stones kicked up in the wheel wells cause reverse dents inside the fenders, paint doesn't want to stick to aluminum, stress cracks all over the place, the issues go on and on. Shelby used aluminum because it was lightweight (and the Brits loved the stuff), but if carbon fiber or Kevlar were available then, he'd have jumped all over it.

Autokraft replicas are expensive, obsolete, and not a good choice design-wise if you plan to build your replica in any way besides the 60's technology way. So many other great choices out there today, engine combinations, electrical systems that are actually dependable, transmission options, interiors and so on.

If you want to experience the thrill of driving and building a Cobra, replicas are the ONLY way to go.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Pretty sure you don't own a replica.

No. I would never even consider a fiberglass bodied raplica.

Though I have owned Shelbys (7), several Autokrafts (still have one) and one 289 Cobra in my life. Been around Shelbys all my life.

Never once spotted a Kit Car that got the contours right.

#195 4 years ago

I saw the movie today. This documentary is interesting to compare with the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=fhiWRTDZ7-E&feature=emb_logo

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Never once spotted a Kit Car that got the contours right.

I haven't found any kit car companies who make any claim to that. Some even add 8 inches to the wheelbase for drivers over 6 ft. tall.

I'm pretty sure it's the look most people are after, not the perfect proportions.

Even Shelby made flying changes to the car during its production years. So I'm not even sure what is "right". I am guessing you could look at ten un-restored Cobras and see ten significant differences between them.

#197 4 years ago

Got to see Ford Vs Ferrari yesterday really enjoyed the film one of the few movies I have seen recently that made me want to see it again.

#198 4 years ago

Saw it today. Great movie. I have been listening to Adam Carolla's podcast for over a decade, so I knew some of the story. This is one of those movies you should try to see in the theatre. I watched it while my wife and daughter watched Frozen 2.

Christian Bale is just great in everything. Perfect role for him.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I have been listening to Adam Carolla's podcast for over a decade,

I hadn't been following Adam Carolla since The Man show. Then just recently I saw him in a motor oil commercial. At first, I was like, yeah, Dario Franchitti knows how to drive a car, so he should know oil. But then saw the commercial again, but this time caught the name on the screen. Never knew he was into racing.

#200 4 years ago

Went with my son, great movie!

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ford-vs-ferrari/page/4?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.