(Topic ID: 215588)

Ford to stop selling cars in the USA??

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shelby (resized).jpg
    1970-ford-torino-king-cobra (resized).jpg
    6EC99704-0273-41E0-96AF-C0D24880F487 (resized).jpeg
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #2 5 years ago

Good, I'm all for it, it;s all aboot trucks anyway

#3 5 years ago

Don't drive/ride in cars too often -- they sit too close to the ground for me and I end up rolling out. . . perhaps Ford had heard my complaints.

Go Trucks!

#4 5 years ago

I saw this this on the googletech.

#5 5 years ago

Cars handle a lot better.

SUVs have more profit so Ford is going there because they can’t hang with Honda/Toyota who can sell cars.

Btw I owne 3 SUV’s one minivan and two cars.

Cars do handle a lot better, mustang survives that’s a plus.

#6 5 years ago

I think if you listen closer, ford is going to stop making cars in the USA, no stop making cars.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

I think if you listen closer, ford is going to stop making cars in the USA, no stop making cars.

Actually I think it was "Stop Selling Cars," so that is on me in the title.

#8 5 years ago

I guess they no longer have huge fleet sales to cops and rental companies? Or that isn't enough to justify the US market?

All I know is I loved my 1983 Crown Victoria. That car was awesome.

#9 5 years ago

I think anyone who bought a Ford car wanted a car not a SUV so they’d just buy a Honda or Toyota or Chevy car not a Ford SUV.

BTW I was looking at Mustang could get $7-8k off without even trying so I’m sure Ford can’t sell cars well.

I bought a BRZ instead of Mustang only able to get $1500 off sticker.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess they no longer have huge fleet sales to cops and rental companies? Or that isn't enough to justify the US market?
    All I know is I loved my 1983 Crown Victoria. That car was awesome.

I suspect cheaper brands like Kia, Hyundai and Chrysler killed rental car sales for Ford. Another note about the Ford announcement is that they will concentrate more of their revenue on building up their electric car programs.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess they no longer have huge fleet sales to cops and rental companies?

That's what i was thinking. Staties in Michigan drive Dodge now.

#12 5 years ago

As a Ford employee me and my profit sharing checks think they should of done this in 2007 during the buyout and layoff phase.just like Williams/Bally ditched pinball.I miss Bally/Williams I won't miss the Taurus,Focus or Fusion .

#13 5 years ago

Just as long as they dont touch the pony cars...

6EC99704-0273-41E0-96AF-C0D24880F487 (resized).jpeg6EC99704-0273-41E0-96AF-C0D24880F487 (resized).jpeg

#14 5 years ago

Even if they one day did cut the Mustang, nostalgia would bring it back eventually. I am also sure one day there will be an all-electric Mustang.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I suspect cheaper brands like Kia, Hyundai and Chrysler killed rental car sales for Ford. Another note about the Ford announcement is that they will concentrate more of their revenue on building up their electric car programs.

Ive been selling OE Ford parts to Hertz, Avis, etc since the 90's......from what my Hertz contact tells me, lately Ford wouldn't sell them as many cars as they wanted.

Quoted from TheLaw:

That's what i was thinking. Staties in Michigan drive Dodge now.

State popo fleet here is all Explorers & Taurus.....as well as most on the municipalities....

They cant make Explorers fast enough down on Torrance avenue.

#17 5 years ago

Rented a Nissan Sentra while on vacation a few weeks ago. First time I've been in a car in years. Kinda cool. Like a scooter or something. Been driving pickup trucks for at least 20 years.

#18 5 years ago

The future development of Fusions and Taurus has been axed. Certainly the Mustang will continue on. Might also loose one of these too Fiesta or Focus. All so to take note of is that was Sedans built in America. Lincolns built in Canada, and Mexican made stuff, will continue, maybe.

If the Mustang name plate ends up on a Ford of Europe design, with hybrid or full electric power, that will it for many Blue Oval Fans. Ford was showing a prototype hybrid SUV named Mach 1 (for shame), Ford knows how to get their fans riled up. When the Flex was being showed off with Fairlane badging I never heard any disgust with that.

The big sales market right now for cars is China, and India is on the verge of becoming number 1 in the world for car sales. Buick, right now sells more units in China than North America, sadly this is true.

#19 5 years ago

In north america most of their sales come from suvs and trucks. not a surprise. look at subway, closed 800 stores last year in US, 500 more this year - all to focus on opening more stores in other countries. new markets = more potential profit. its all about the $$$

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess they no longer have huge fleet sales to cops and rental companies?

Seems like down here in NJ, most every police car is either a Ford SUV, or a Dodge Charger. I feel like Ford’s bread and butter these days are fleet trucks for uhaul, Home Depot rentals, tow trucks, etc etc.

#21 5 years ago

I've owned a lot of Fords over the years and I'm sick of them. I drive a beater 2001 Mustang 70 miles a day. My go to car is a 2000 Mustang GT. I owned a new 89 Thunderbird during the Bill Elliot craze.
    Nothing really wrong with Fords, just tired of them. Like how the windows on my 69 Mach 1 fell out of the track,so did my 2000.
    All Fords suck gas,period. Especially those trucks and SUVs that are so popular.
    Going to buy the perfect car soon,selling and saving up to pay cash. The ultimate dependable/decent gas milage affordable Toyota Corolla.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

All Fords suck gas,period. Especially those trucks and SUVs that are so popular.

Wonder if they are thinking oil prices will be stable or if they are counting on advances in fuel efficiency/electric motors to keep the bigger wheels turning?

#23 5 years ago

What about their vans? I loved the E-series and an really enjoying the Transit 250. I really dont want to have to go Dodge....

#24 5 years ago

We have enjoyed relatively low fuel prices,and every time that happens Americans migrate to tanks.
    Trucks so far haven't embraced hybrid technology, especially larger trucks. They need fuel and lots of it.
    If (when) the US reaches European fuel prices people will freak out. The Saudis efforts 18 Months ago with oversupply hurt the shale production enough to where many curtailed operations. It will be interesting to see how many of those former operations return.
    Of course I feel its a ploy to inspire electric/hybrid vehicle purchases, if that is the case, expect very uncomfortable times in the near future if you own a gasoline-powered vehicle.

#25 5 years ago

So no chance we will ever see that Torino Boss VE? Darn.

1970-ford-torino-king-cobra (resized).jpg1970-ford-torino-king-cobra (resized).jpg

#26 5 years ago

Been a Ford guy all my life, love cars/trucks vehicles in general. Watched Motorweek on PBS since I was a kid.
    Worked at the Ford dealer for 17 years as a tech and manager positions. Love my Fords. Wife had a rental for a week down in Texas, a 2017 Nissan Maxima, got to say that was a damn nice set of wheels. Although in our family we own 3 Ford trucks.
    The kids have cars, my youngest is a rice burner lover of Subaru. At least my oldest followed dads footsteps. He even has a Fox body Mustang and does the drifting circuits. Fun Stuff.

American loves coal burning, gas chugging SUVs and trucks. USA !

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

my youngest is a rice burner lover of Subaru

Careful, the Simpsons/Apu tolerance and political correctness thread people might flood this one if they knew such things were discussed. . .

#28 5 years ago

I once way back when owned a 1980 Dodge Diplomat. Chrysler should have implemented a "stop making cars" approch back then. Paid 150 bucks for it and it was still a totally piece of shit ! Should have saved my money and bought a Pinto !

#29 5 years ago

I've been advising them to just be a truck company for 3 years.

If you saw the division p and ls, youd wonder why they bothered with cars. The entire large car market is soft for all the manufacturers, even players like BMW are struggling with them.

It's either compact or crossovers then large trucks and SUVs.

#30 5 years ago

My 16yr old daughter loves her Focus se.... I wouldn’t drive it but it was cheap, had lots of airbags and a 150k tranny warranty (due to awful problems with them)

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Been a Ford guy all my life, love cars/trucks vehicles in general. Watched Motorweek on PBS since I was a kid.
    Worked at the Ford dealer for 17 years as a tech and manager positions. Love my Fords. Wife had a rental for a week down in Texas, a 2017 Nissan Maxima, got to say that was a damn nice set of wheels. Although in our family we own 3 Ford trucks.

We were always GM people. Gramps worked there after the war (WWII) and he had a strong influence as well as an employee discount when it came to a new vehicle purchase. Not sure where I came from -- I was drawn into the hood over fenders design Dodge came out with in '94 and they sank the hook deeper with the Cummins engine. Never mind that the auto transmission in my '97 2500 has had its issues, I do what I can to keep it going. Can't justify spending 60-70K on a new one and I'd rather not deal with the diesel emissions -- the mechanical 12 valve is right up my alley. Gramps probably turned over in his grave when I brought home a '78 Toyota FJ40 to restore a couple years ago. It turned out nice so luckily the rest of the family still talks to me.

The only car I've ever owned was my first: a 1970 Chevelle. Had fun with it as my go fast car when I was in high school but had to sell it for a more sensible Dodge Dakota pickup when going off to college. I guess the point is I've always used/loved trucks since my first and have not looked back -- I suppose just this once I "fit in" when it comes to what the majority must like.

#32 5 years ago

Honestly Ford's line of cars over the last few years have been no style crap.

Taurus was a lame name from the get go. "My car is named after a bull" lol

People only buy Focus and Fusion because they don't know any better or can't afford something better.

Wise move if they can't get any more creative than that.

#33 5 years ago

Ford's SUV's suck. I hope they make them look a hell of alot better in the future.

The new Taurus was a nice car...but they should not have branded it under the Taurus name. Who the hell is going to buy a 40k+ Taurus?

#34 5 years ago

They still build a ton of cars now labled Suv/crossover which when i was young we called station wagons

#35 5 years ago

I stopped buying Fords after my second transmission went out in a Ford truck. Toyotas have treated me right, I've spent next to nothing in 15 years on my game hauler Tacoma and it's a 2001. It's really nice not having car/truck loan payments when you get a vehicle that just keeps working and working long after you've paid it off.

#36 5 years ago

Fords suck the fat one.

#37 5 years ago

Breaks my heart we may never see another Topaz.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Breaks my heart we may never see another Topaz.

Didn't that replace the pinto

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Didn't that replace the pinto

Not sure, but it was certainly a downgrade.

I still see an occasional Pinto on the road. Most if not all Topaz/Tempos were crushed and turned into Probes and Contours.

#40 5 years ago

The Honda Accord & Toyota Camry seem to sell fine.

Wonder why?

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Fords suck the fat one.

Jealousy will get you nowhere just like a piece a crap Ford

#42 5 years ago

I only owned two Fords a 1929 and a 1930 both great cars.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from RyThom:

What about their vans? I loved the E-series and an really enjoying the Transit 250. I really dont want to have to go Dodge...

Full size vans you get a good long lasting rig.

Sorry it took so long. Hope you didn't pull the trigger on that Dodge unit.

#44 5 years ago

Bring back the old rangers. I have always been a Chrysler Guy since I have been 17 never didn't have a jeep or Dodge truck in my driveway.

However I had a 89 ranger with the 2.9 which was the best truck I ever had, other than my 01 Cummings which I still have

#45 5 years ago

The Ranger and Bronco will be making a return next year.

#46 5 years ago

Owned a Ford Ranger and hated it. Used to work at a Honda auto plant in Ohio. Great quality cars. Nowadays, I love my Mazda3. Fun to drive and averages 33mpg. Ford will suck wind when gas prices rise.

#47 5 years ago

I have had three Rangers, sold all of them with mileage between 250-330k. They were all 4 bangers with 5 speeds... all of them ran great, and simply rusted out from below.

I have the same motor in my boat- rock solid.

They are bringing back the "Ranger"... Its a 4 door full size truck.... Not really the Rangers of old....

Ford cars in the last 5 years have had some super bad auto trans issues.... I am not surprised they werent selling well.

I currently still own a 5 speed 4 cylinder Escape... Runs as reliable as the Rangers.... Has the same rust issues forming as the Rangers too.... Too bad, as I love the truck as a daily driver.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

My 16yr old daughter loves her Focus se.... I wouldn’t drive it but it was cheap, had lots of airbags and a 150k tranny warranty (due to awful problems with them)

Ford Australia just got fined $10m for selling those faulty transmissions.

$10m isn’t a big fine compared to the telephone numbers you see in the USA, but it’s the equal biggest corporate fine in Aussie history.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/australia/ford-fined-10m-over-customer-complaints

rd

#49 5 years ago

I’m fine with it, I love the Lincoln Continental Black Edition, check out the discounts and how loaded it is, it will be my next daily driver. I’m looking at the new Lincoln Aviator or Nautilus for my wife. I’ve never owned an American car, and never expected it would be Lincoln, but the interior and styling looks fantastic. Hell Ford can’t even keep the new $100k Lincoln Navigator on the lot they sell so fast

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ford-to-stop-making-cars?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.