(Topic ID: 175628)

For those who have played Dialed In, how do you rate it?

By sevenrites

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bigjdrum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you've played WOZ, Hobbit, and Dialed In, which one do you like the most?”

• Wizard of Oz 33 votes
    26%
  • The Hobbit 24 votes
    19%
  • Dialed In 53 votes
    42%
  • They're all equally great and I'm excited for JJP#4 as well 15 votes
    12%

(125 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161214_132054 (resized).jpg
20161214_132117 (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I'm just curious where Dialed In would sit in the top 100 list, and more specifically how people who have played it, along with WOZ and Hobbit would rank it as well. Part of my motivation is to help determine which of the 3 JJP games I should consider first, or if I'm just going to have to own them all at some point.

As of the time of this post, only 5 people have rated Dialed In, including one person who had the audacity to give it less than 5 without even playing it.

So for those who have actually played it, how about taking a quick moment to rate it? Keep in mind, code was only around 20% complete during the release launch parties.

Thanks!

Here's the link for everyone's convenience:

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/dialed-in/ratings

For now, I'm really only looking from feedback from those who have played 1 or all 3 of the JJP games, and don't want any feedback on Dialed In from those who haven't played it at all.

#2 7 years ago

I would say the Hobbit is the best but none are worth the money

#3 7 years ago

As a distributor my view might be seen as slightly biased, but I personally own a woz and a hobbit. I have played Dialed in abut 20 times and really enjoy it. There is speed for the guys who like that, combo shots for other people and amazing lights and animations.
I really enjoy the action that the magnets bring to the game (all 5 of them).
While playing with my phone was fun, I don't see it being a big feature. I would much rather have the ability to mess with the game while I'm playing against a group (lower flipper power, reverse flippers, lower diverter, etc). I believe this could happen and just being able to play your own game with your phone is proof of concept.
Selfie frenzy is a lot of fun as are the "lasers" that attack your flippers during multiball. I will be getting some in when they are available and will be putting a lot more games on it.
As of right now, I would say pick up a woz or hobbit, play it for a year, sell it and then pick up a dialed in if you like it. I am sure joe from pinballstar will have a couple to play at the York and replay shows coming up this spring/summer.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for your feedback KingPinGames, this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for with this thread.

Quoted from KingPinGames:

I am sure joe from pinballstar will have a couple to play at the York and replay shows coming up this spring/summer.

Joe definitely hooks it up for us over here on the east coast. He always has an awesome collection of JJP games available at both York and Allentown for us, plus does release parties - I was lucky to get in on his Hobbit release party as well as the Dialed In launch party at the Pinball Gallery. And of course he hears from me anytime a friend or I are considering one of those games. He's a great asset to the community.

#5 7 years ago

Dialed in has by far the best shot map/layout. It shoots fast and smooth and is loaded with features. The negatives are the toys look very childish and the code is an unkown at this point. If the code comes together its going to be JJP's best game so far by a huge margin. WOZ and TH are both average layouts at best with great code, great light shows, and great sound packages that makes them fun to play.

It's silly to worry about ratings at this point and it's boarder line idiotic to have rated the game already when the only thing people are playing is prototypes.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

it's boarder line idiotic to have rated the game already when the only thing people are playing is prototypes.

I disagree. I even note to keep that in mind when rating it. People can go in and update their rating at any time, including after they play with updated code. And regardless, I think with the minimal amount of code that was in the game, that it made a great debut and upon playing it, you can definitely see the potential and have a good feeling of where it's headed, plus enough insight to still give it a fair and competitive rating. It's that good of a game already.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I disagree. I even note to keep that in mind when rating it. People can go in and update their rating at any time, including after they play with updated code. And regardless, I think with the minimal amount of code that was in the game, that it made a great debut and upon playing it, you can definitely see the potential and have a good feeling of where it's headed, plus enough insight to still give it a fair and competitive rating. It's that good of a game already.

Why do you care were it is rated? If you like it and want one does anyone else's opinions even matter? Seems like you are wanting it rated high so you can justify getting one or something. Even if you get people to rate it and it gets a high initial rating others are going to come in and rate it poorly just to make it drop. The pinside ratings with under 500+ reviews don't mean much of anything.

Most people are never going to go back and update a rating and for all you know some of the toys, art, lighting, or even the name might change by the time it ships.

PM Caucasian2Step and see if he's played it yet. His reviews are some of the only ones that I look for anyway. 95% of the others are just biased owners or haters.

#8 7 years ago

i didnt care for DI at all. Theme is big for me and DI theme is terrible in my opinion. Im also not a fan of Lawler pin layouts. I own a WOZ and game is great but theme as i said before is big for me and WOZ theme just isnt for me thats why my WOZ is for sale. Hobbit theme is great and im in the minority since i actually like the Hobbit movie trilogy better then LOTR movie trilogy.

So ive owned WOZ , played Hobbit and Dialed In. With that said im buying a Hobbit as soon as WOZ sells and ill play OPs DI if he buys one but id never buy a DI.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

i didnt care for DI at all. Theme is big for me and DI theme is terrible in my opinion. Im also not a fan of Lawler pin layouts. I own a WOZ and game is great but theme as i said before is big for me and WOZ theme just isnt for me thats why my WOZ is for sale. Hobbit theme is great and im in the minority since i actually like the Hobbit movie trilogy better then LOTR movie trilogy.
So ive owned WOZ , played Hobbit and Dialed In. With that said im buying a Hobbit as soon as WOZ sells and ill play OPs DI if he buys one but id never buy a DI.

You sure do have some uncommon opinions.

#10 7 years ago

Not hard to rank Dialed In above the rest, because the other 2 games are not good at all. Does that mean Dialed in is mindblowing awesome? Not at all. It's wayyyyy better than the other 2 tho. He's getting closer to actually making a great game tho. Heading in the right direction. Dialed in is a good middle of the road game. Sits about where Roadshow sits in my eyes.

#11 7 years ago

16 votes on the thread and still just 5 ratings for the game... Maybe some came in and are waiting for approval?

#12 7 years ago

I finally played Dialed-In today. That you Mike (Automated Services) and Jack. Good to see you both.

It was sitting between WOZ and TH so I got more games on those while waiting. This going to be a hit. Those shots were nice and smooth. I prefer standard sized machines. The toys were plentiful and added to the game without blocking shots or making it seem cluttered.

I hate LED lighting since they normally hurt my old eye, but this game was done right. The lighting kept the game bright with very robust colors and great effects without the harsh "in your face" glaring eye hurt.

Here is the thing. If the layout and shots suck on a game the code will never make the game better. This game is a well built foundation that can only get better with code updates and we have seen Jack does support continued updates far into game releases. This is a smooth fun shooting Lawlor game (I own a few of his games and they are famous for a reason). The display is great but then you have two smaller ones on the playfield that also add. While the phone ringing too much I'm sure this will get adjusted from the feedback. The theater display was nice also (first time shooting the spider made me smile). I did not get to the lasers shooting the flippers mode but the selfies were more fun than I thought they would be. Spectators enjoyed them also and even tried to join in, adds to the fun.

KingPinGames had comments I agree with. Using the phone is a cute but unnecessary proof of concept idea. For some reason everyone thought the same thing about being able to have an "opponent" use the phone to block and disrupt the game. I hate this idea. If I pay for a game I don't want someone ruining it for me and shortening my ball time. There was no delay and using the phone did work just fine. My thought as to why an operator would want this is the same as people who have the Touch Tunes jukebox app on their phones. It is easier to spend money when you just click a button to add it to your phone bill.

#13 7 years ago

I rate it VERY high! Such a great game.

If you are specifically comparing to WoZ and Hobbit, they are all very different.

I suggest buying a Hobbit and playing it for a year and then go from there. WoZ has grown on me, but TH has grown on me even more.

#14 7 years ago

I own woz and its my best pin. I.plan on getting the hobbit once I make room. I just love the gAme play of TH and play it at level 257.

I played DI also at expo and level 257 at this point I'm on the fence first I suck at the gAme same as GB's also at level 257 The ball times are like my IM.

#15 7 years ago

If one ever makes it out to So Cal which may be a while because I know absolutely nobody that is buying one, I will play it.

I ain't buying it either because I wouldn't want to look at it every day, but it does look like a fun deck to shoot.

#16 7 years ago

Own both WOZ and Hobbit and are beautiful games - probably two most perty games (BBB is pertiest). Code is deep and complete and they are different. I'm not in love with the layouts, but the code, lighting and video/sound immersion really make the games a blast to play and watch.

I played DI at Expo a few times. If it was a different theme, they would be selling like crazy. Layout is more fun that the previous two JJP games. Toys feel skimped a bit compared to WOZ and TH. I'm confident the code will be deep and complete when all is said and done. One I'm keeping an eye out for.

Agree with others. Pick up a TH play it for a year then go for a DI.

#17 7 years ago

As it stands I have to say Hobbit. BUT...

I have access to both, and Hobbit is very fleshed out with its code. At Expo I am guessing the code in the machine was about 20% complete. That being said I can tell you JJP is aggressively updating the code for this game it already has new modes that you haven't seen if you only saw it at expo. The shot layout and potential codewise for Dialed In is huge. Once we get to a point in time where DI is considered 90% done, I'd be willing to bet its more fun than hobbit. Time will tell.

#18 7 years ago

I have rated it after getting some playtime and I really like it, it is certainly my favorite JJP title. As for people rating a game they have never even played, I wish there was a downvoting system for identical ratings like that. I see it all the time while reading reviews especially ones that rate EM machines real low with a comment of how they hate all old machines. Thanks, that helps a lot! Lol

#19 7 years ago

Love my WOZ!!!...even though Jack had said it would pale compared to Hobbit, I've played both enough to know WOZ is a timeless classic ( hence would never trade it for Hobbit). Played Dialed In @ Chicago for about 5 games...beautiful and flows well...plenty of toys, but theme will keep me from ever owning one...WOZ wins...more and more are admitting how great this pin really is....

#20 7 years ago

Really happy I had a chance to play it recently. It might be a prototype, but certainly seems far enough along to get a decent impression. Honestly, not quite sure I like it yet. The venue was a bit loud (as most are) so I'd need some decent time on it and preferably headphones to get a better feel. The quality is solid, not big on the toys, but TZ took awhile to grow on me.

WOZ is still my favorite from JJP.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Own both WOZ and Hobbit and are beautiful games - probably two most perty games (BBB is pertiest). Code is deep and complete and they are different. I'm not in love with the layouts, but the code, lighting and video/sound immersion really make the games a blast to play and watch.
I played DI at Expo a few times. If it was a different theme, they would be selling like crazy. Layout is more fun that the previous two JJP games. Toys feel skimped a bit compared to WOZ and TH. I'm confident the code will be deep and complete when all is said and done. One I'm keeping an eye out for.
Agree with others. Pick up a TH play it for a year then go for a DI.

I think TOTAN blows all those games away in the looks department. TOTAN is one of best looking playfields ever made. TOM has the best looking cabinet ever. and Miss world has the best backglass. So there you have it.

Put a TOTAN playfield, into a TOM cabinet and a Miss world backglass and you have the best looking game on the planet.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think TOTAN blows all those games away in the looks department. TOTAN is one of best looking playfields ever made. TOM has the best looking cabinet ever. and Miss world has the best backglass. So there you have it.
Put a TOTAN playfield, into a TOM cabinet and a Miss world backglass and you have the best looking game on the planet.

I think you're either lacking basic reading comprehension skills, you have an ego and agenda you want to spread, you're in the wrong thread, or are just being an ass. TOTAN is far from the nicest game to look at. Besides that, TOTAN is overhyped, overpriced, and too easy to beat even for a novice with little skill.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think TOTAN blows all those games away in the looks department.

TOTAN is a very nice looking game as is TOM. Owned both and agree. Seen your Miss World in person and I too like the backglass.

I'm still a huge fan of the BBB package too. But, JJP with the lighting, sound, video - the whole immersive experience takes the cake in modern pinball. When the light shows kick in during gameplay it's simply beautiful. JJP do make some beautiful looking pins.

#26 7 years ago

The easy answer. If you don't like Road Show you won't like this game. Essentially it is Road Show II. Also, the game is very simple in terms of ball time (at least from my experience) I prefer much faster games. Very unique concept and the game is way better than Wizard of Oz and Hobbit but you still suffer from longer ball times if you prefer speed and difficulty.

The ratings don't make any sense honestly, it's all about what YOU think is a good game. I can't stand some of the higher "AAA" games but I love crap like Police Force!

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

The easy answer. If you don't like Road Show you won't like this game. Essentially it is Road Show II.

I love my RS for $3k. RS layout much better Imo

Totan is gorgeous, so is GBLE!

#28 7 years ago

I would give it a 8.5 it has a good beat and I can dance to it.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I think you're either lacking basic reading comprehension skills, you have an ego and agenda you want to spread, you're in the wrong thread, or are just being an ass. TOTAN is far from the nicest game to look at. Besides that, TOTAN is overhyped, overpriced, and too easy to beat even for a novice with little skill.

I didn't say anything about gameplay, nor did Billy. He mainly stated looks. And I came back with a reply about looks. hence why I only stated all the games that have good looking aspects.

TOM is a boring ass game. I had one for 6 years. Put me to sleep. but damn that cabinet looks nice. TOTAN I like a lot. I love the layout and the looks. The rules needs some tweeking tho to make it truly superb, but it's still one of my favorites. So by looks alone, I compiled the best looking 3 cosmetic components to make the best "looking" game possible. Hence my statement. Had nothing to do with gameplay or rules. If I did that, i'd put LOTR rules. with SOF layout. There....perfect game.

#30 7 years ago

You can save all of that for another thread captain, it has nothing to do with what this thread is about.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

You can save all of that for another thread captain, it has nothing to do with what this thread is about.

What? A Pinside thread that goes off track? Has there ever been such a thing? Actually, has there ever been one that stayed on track?

#32 7 years ago

This particular thread was completely on track until you stepped in. No hard feelings, just trying to stay focused and not get it all cluttered with nonsense.

Dialed In needs to arrive at a permanent location closer to me ASAP. It's already been over a month since I last got to play it. I'm still excited about it but it would be great to feel the rush again that I felt when I played it at the PinballStar / JJP / Pinball Gallery launch party.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

This particular thread was completely on track until you stepped in. No hard feelings, just trying to stay focused and not get it all cluttered with nonsense.
Dialed In needs to arrive at a permanent location closer to me ASAP. It's already been over a month since I last got to play it. I'm still excited about it but it would be great to feel the rush again that I felt when I played it at the PinballStar / JJP / Pinball Gallery launch party.

I couldn't let this thread squeek by being normal.

Btw, you are in PA, arn't you a stones throw away from the factory? Can't you just play it there?

#34 7 years ago

The JJP factory is a bit more than a stones throw away for me at 3 hours or so, but yeah, it's not too bad driving to JJP plus the beach is there & silver ball arcade isn't far either. But when I spoke with Jack a few weeks ago, there weren't any Dialed In's left, they're all over the place, including one at the FCC, one at UL laboratories, & etc. so besides those and what are out circling around for release parties, I'm doubting there's one at the factory to play. I would assume Pinball Gallery in Malvern will probably be the closest one. Jack said he didn't even have one left for himself to play. You would think there's at least one in the factory yet.

#35 7 years ago

I played 3 games at Free Play Florida. One of the very best games available. Great layout, good shots from all 3 flippers, nice flow, nothing blocking the view, all the bits and pieces work nicely together. A lot of thought went into this machine. The machine I played has a bit weak flippers. Even perfect shots up the ramp barely made it over the hump. Ball times are average to long. I heard some people complain about the theme, I find it entertaining. Sick of seeing movie themes or washed up rock stars.
Bottom line, this is the only game I would even consider buying NIB at today's prices.

#36 7 years ago

I do like the layout. One thing that seems out of place and forced, is the theater. Seems like they threw that in there to compete with the ghostbusters googles. But doesn't seem to be all that important, yet takes up a lot of space.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

You would think there's at least one in the factory yet.

Probably traveling to a party or location somewhere. They'd need one in Chicago for the programmers and designer. No real need for one at NJ JJP right now.

LTG : )

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No real need for one at NJ JJP right now

Yeah, but it is "headquarters" and seems fitting one of everything should be there at all times. There's gotta be one hiding in there somewhere.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Yeah, but it is "headquarters" and seems fitting one of everything should be there at all times.

Once production starts there will be.

Quoted from sevenrites:

There's gotta be one hiding in there somewhere.

No.

LTG : )

#40 7 years ago

So I wonder if Pat has one? Also, this thread helped generate one whole new rating already so far! Wow! Lol.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I do like the layout. One thing that seems out of place and forced, is the theater. Seems like they threw that in there to compete with the ghostbusters googles.

Something about this seems backwards

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I do like the layout. One thing that seems out of place and forced, is the theater. Seems like they threw that in there to compete with the ghostbusters googles. But doesn't seem to be all that important, yet takes up a lot of space.

Funny you mention that -- I remember thinking the same thing when playing DI, "Hey, that's like the ecto-goggles." (Or the other way around, don't care really.) Like the ecto-goggles, it seems a bit under-utilized. As much as I love GB, it's similar to the Crystal Ball in WoZ right now -- cool toy and innovative, but could be so much more. Hopefully JJP will evolve it more than Stern has on GB.

#43 7 years ago

So far what I've seen out of the theater:

1. The main screen will show a crate parachuting down. The crate then lands and spins inside the theater until you collect it.
2. Bad graphics spider. seems like a hurry up, I think they will be adding to this. I don't like how it looks, but thats my opinion.
3. Ticking Hurry Up counter.
4. Volcano magma chamber.

I'd be willing to bet it will do more as the code progresses.

#44 7 years ago

I just played about 10 games on it today. It's really going to be cool when the code is completed. Lots of smooth shots and the Bob the builder wasn't as bad as people are making it. The camera kept taking pictures of my chest, I'm tall but not that tall. Magnets were excellent and with all those inserts it had the best light show I've ever seen. Has a pretty cohesive feel to the artwork too. Creates it's own little universe pretty well.

Great use of the phone on the playfield to let you know what's going on, how many things you have to shoot for etc,

Not so good: The hole under the cell phone was already starting to show wear. It is a fast hard shot up close so not sure what they can do. A cliffy would protect it but also make it much harder to hit the shot. Mantis style? I don't know. Also the game is loud. The volume was low but you could hear a pretty loud whoosh from the backbox fan(s). The female figure in the back looks a little too rudimentary, generic. Other than that it's an A effort.

The price on this game is wayyyyy off though.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The rumor that JJP was going to have the hologram image was likely way before Stern thought about putting it in Ghostbusters. I am willing to bet Stern stole the idea by getting information from a JJP employee that left, probably the same person that put out the rumors on Pinside a couple years ago.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The rumor that JJP was going to have the hologram image was likely way before Stern thought about putting it in Ghostbusters. I am willing to bet Stern stole the idea by getting information from a JJP employee that left, probably the same person that put out the rumors on Pinside a couple years ago.

maybe so, but stern had a completed game revealed and out before JJP, so as it stands, i'd give credit to stern. Development and release was done before JJP's announcement.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I just played about 10 games on it today. It's really going to be cool when the code is completed. Lots of smooth shots and the Bob the builder wasn't as bad as people are making it. The camera kept taking pictures of my chest, I'm tall but not that tall. Magnets were excellent and with all those inserts it had the best light show I've ever seen. Has a pretty cohesive feel to the artwork too. Creates it's own little universe pretty well.
Great use of the phone on the playfield to let you know what's going on, how many things you have to shoot for etc,
Not so good: The hole under the cell phone was already starting to show wear. It is a fast hard shot up close so not sure what they can do. A cliffy would protect it but also make it much harder to hit the shot. Mantis style? I don't know. Also the game is loud. The volume was low but you could hear a pretty loud whoosh from the backbox fan(s). The female figure in the back looks a little too rudimentary, generic. Other than that it's an A effort.
The price on this game is wayyyyy off though.

Sounds like Jack should use a tall model in bikini at promo shows

#48 7 years ago

Hole.

20161214_132117 (resized).jpg20161214_132117 (resized).jpg

20161214_132054 (resized).jpg20161214_132054 (resized).jpg

#49 7 years ago

Yeah, that hole will definitely need a protector.

I had sworn off preordering games, but I'll have a chance to play this game before it's ready to ship, so I went ahead and put in for an LE. If I get a chance to play it and it's just not what I'm hoping it will be, I can always back out. From what I've seen, especially in that Buffalo Pinball stream, the game looks fantastic and will only continue to improve all the way up to release and beyond. Deposit is in, and now we wait.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

What's with all the disrespectful newbies lately? What a horseshit comment.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-those-who-have-played-dialed-in-how-do-you-rank-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.