(Topic ID: 106968)

For those who have played AMH...Grade it!

By 27dnast

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Grade AMH”

• (A) Plays great, long term appeal for a collection 39 votes
    20%
  • (B) Fun game, will want to own for a while 39 votes
    20%
  • (B) Fun Game, wouldn't want to own it 41 votes
    21%
  • (C) Meh, it was ok 51 votes
    26%
  • (D) Total Dud 18 votes
    9%
  • (F) Bad Stuff 3 votes
    2%
  • (X) Other, explain 5 votes
    3%

(196 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P4130716.JPG
IMG_20150121_154632429.jpg
Zen_Pinball_THD_Tesla_key_art_300dpi_all_logo[1].jpg
image.jpg
TMA.png
top-20-oh-snap2.jpg
walking-flat.jpg
new-kid-in-town.jpg
AMH_rules-Betelgeuse.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0015.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider benheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 9 years ago

I'm a firm believer in "getting a game done" because if you tweak forever you'll never ship. So sometime you just have to "Let It Go!" (don't worry, Spooky isn't making Frozen pinball)

Here are some things I feel we could have done better:

1) Difficulty. It is pretty hard, and there's a lot of modes to get through as well. Should have either made it hard with shorter modes, or easier with deeper modes.

2) Dialog. There's too much. Needs less characters, a few less ghost bosses. Last check has 220+ pages of dialog.

3) Lighting. I agree it's too dim. Brighter graphics on PF would have helped (it's why Star Trek has colors and pastels instead of "space") and I still nag Charlie to put some spots on the ramps. More light colors in general would have "caught" more of the cabinet lighting when it changes for modes.

#90 9 years ago

We picked 150 because a) it's more than we've sold this far b) it's a number we'd be happy with.

No more will be sold that that - honestly I'd be surprised if we even hit that. The market is getting really soft.

#94 9 years ago

Ouiji name entry is a great idea! Maybe next spring, in a "Final, Final Update"

It would be interesting someday to log all the changes the game went through. Stuff like the door and the jump were there from the start, but the early game was a more literal representation of a haunted house.

The ghost was an EMF pump, then a rotating bookshelf, then God knows what else! John Popaduik (who's been to my shop on many occasions) said "That's your main shot, whatever you put there has to be good!"

So we went with a ghost to personify the bosses, a fast loop for action, a magnet to hold the ball, and targets to qualify things and also trap the ball.

There's also some Steve Ritchie suggestions in the final game too, such as the skinny (not fat) TECH target on the left, the width of the path leading into the door, and the over-the-top HERE COMES THE BALL light and sound show from the right scoop.

Great to learn from the masters!

#96 9 years ago

Mostly going to be bug fixes of anything that pops up.

#104 9 years ago

The first 20 (really the first 14) were built slower than they're being built now.

Now that we know the going rate (2 per week) we can estimate more accurately how long the next 40 orders will take, and from there, how long new orders will take.

Make sense?

#108 9 years ago

It's simple - about 60 sold, so 90 spots left before the run of 150 ends.

1 week later
#112 9 years ago

So you're OK with the way restarts work (one easy restart per mode per player per game) but when you DO resume, you continue the existing progress? Should that apply to the wizard mode as well? (if you fail it, it re-lights on next ball)

Also, if you've got say 2 hits to go on a Minion and drain, when ball comes back targets stay down and you still just have 2 shots to go?

If you and other users can make a bullet point list I can copy it to my To Do list for a future update.

I am also planning to add "tap flipper to skip dialog".

#122 9 years ago

Technically you get about 1 second after the light goes out, but I can bump it up a bit.

#130 9 years ago

My sister went on some ghost hunts a few years back. They got a pretty convincing EVP and I helped her clean it up.

I slipped it into AMH of course - its the scratchy random pop bumper EVP clip that says "There's a woman back there"

#137 9 years ago

For the record I have never seen a ghost, or thought I have seen one. We had some odd stuff happen at our old shop though.

#147 9 years ago

The production prototype in the Benton Bar is mechanically complete but its code is stuck at pre-MGC levels since there's enough little differences that using latest code might not work on it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

1 month later
#180 9 years ago

If any owners could make a list of which switches they don't feel make a sound, or should make more of a sound, I can address that in the V18 update.

I also want Tech Wiki and Psychic to do more.

#186 9 years ago

There's nothing you could say or tell us about this game we don't already know. We know even MORE flaws, in fact! For instance, I know at what point the score will roll

We're still tweaking a few things code-wise, but it's pretty much done so if this game isn't for you as-is, no future update is probably going to change your mind. That's fine.

If I ever did another game I'd like to wear fewer hats. Concentrate on the things I'm good at, like dialog, rules, mechs and code. With better people on the other aspects, the game as a whole would improve.

#196 9 years ago

I am creating a matrix for adding these suggestions in V17. Most of it is doable.

Technically everything makes a sound but sometimes the priority is given to speech. And speech is always on the same channel so it will interrupt, rather than overlap, itself.

Double scoring when you spell "Psychic" would be cool. How long should it last?

#198 9 years ago

OK. I'll think of some way to indicate it's active since there could be other timers on-screen as well.

Originally TECH added time to the ball saver, think I'll put that back in.

Not sure what WIKI could accomplish.

Spelling any of them re-lights Spirit Guide (random award shot) and spelling all 3 lights Video Mode.

#204 9 years ago

Here's what's I'm thinking:

PSYCHIC - Starts double scoring. While PSYCHIC SCORING is active, hitting the target again adds 3-5 seconds (will have to test)

TECH - Adds 2-3 seconds to that player's ball save timer per completion. (This is on top of the game's default Ball Save timer)

WIKI - "Research complete, Ghost X is lit!" Lights the ghost boss you have the least progress on.

And again, completing any of them re-lights Spirit guide, completing all 3 lights Video Mode (existing rules)

The selectable award is a cool idea but since these targets can be hit at any time, I need somewhat "generic" awards if we're in a mode for instance.

WIKI would need two versions. If in a battle (that is, can't start another mode til this one ends)

"Research complete, Ghost X is ready to battle!" and it would be lit once current mode is over.

If lit during "no mode":

"Research complete, Ghost X is lit!" and you can start it right away.

These are the kinds of things we have to think about when programming! It's like a labyrinth within a maze. Forget about the baby!

#209 9 years ago

Alyson our producer was "Dumb Valley Girl" so I had her record new WIKI lines already in our state-of-the-art, completely sound-proof, Skywalker-Sound-Quality recording booth!

IMG_20150121_154632429.jpgIMG_20150121_154632429.jpg
#212 9 years ago

The game doesn't have a RTC, so can't do midnight magic or chime on hours. Sorry...

#217 9 years ago

It's a Samson brand USB mic. Can't recall model #.

The new business park we're in, there's a recording studio on the other side of the parking lot. Maybe I can look into that for additional voices on Game 2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
$ 210.00
5,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider benheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-those-who-have-played-amhgrade-it?tu=benheck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.