(Topic ID: 106968)

For those who have played AMH...Grade it!

By 27dnast

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Grade AMH”

• (A) Plays great, long term appeal for a collection 39 votes
    20%
  • (B) Fun game, will want to own for a while 39 votes
    20%
  • (B) Fun Game, wouldn't want to own it 41 votes
    21%
  • (C) Meh, it was ok 51 votes
    26%
  • (D) Total Dud 18 votes
    9%
  • (F) Bad Stuff 3 votes
    2%
  • (X) Other, explain 5 votes
    3%

(196 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P4130716.JPG
IMG_20150121_154632429.jpg
Zen_Pinball_THD_Tesla_key_art_300dpi_all_logo[1].jpg
image.jpg
TMA.png
top-20-oh-snap2.jpg
walking-flat.jpg
new-kid-in-town.jpg
AMH_rules-Betelgeuse.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0015.JPG
There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 9 years ago

Started something similar for TWD...have gotten some really interesting responses...so, thought it would be interesting for AMH!

I had a chance to play it last year at Allentown. I liked it. I think WOOLY probably stole the show for me...but I did enjoy AMH. I thought the good out weighed the bad (that primarily being the call outs...it's obviously hard to hear callouts in a loud show environment...but they sounded a bit amateurish). I don't intend that to sound harsh...but sort of the vibe that I got.

Would love to see/hear what others thought.

Is this the game to own in 2014?

#2 9 years ago

Played it at Allentown. It was no where near complete so nothing to say. OK shots, but nothing happened.

Played it at York. OK shots, some things were happening. I was making shots and trying to get stuff completed. On my 1st ball the ball got stuck at the pop bumpers. Had to wait for it to go into ball search and the pops popped it out. Next ball hit a ramp and the ball flew off behind a wireform top left.

Walked away and didn't even care to try to play my 3rd ball.

#3 9 years ago

Played about five games and had a lot of fun
Really not enough to give it a solid grade but I can say it is fun and I'm looking forward to playing it again.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from LEE:

Played it at Allentown. It was no where near complete so nothing to say. OK shots, but nothing happened.
Played it at York. OK shots, some things were happening. I was making shots and trying to get stuff completed. On my 1st ball the ball got stuck at the pop bumpers. Had to wait for it to go into ball search and the pops popped it out. Next ball hit a ramp and the ball flew off behind a wireform top left.
Walked away and didn't even care to try to play my 3rd ball.

York this year?

#5 9 years ago

Game is really a soldit title. I'd like to have one in the future. Problem w/ shows is you can't hear the call outs. That's part of what makes the game great, it's really funny. Dots were done really well also.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

York this year?

Yes.

I was having some fun playing it. But when two balls get stuck during one three ball game, it tells me it is not a finished product. And, yes I do understand that once in a blue moon, sometimes balls get stuck. But it was too much for me I guess and I walked.

#7 9 years ago

I played it at the state fair it felt home made.
Grade C+

Post edited by MMuller: needed a grade

#8 9 years ago

well, I just played 7 games in a row on mine. The game is tough. If you only played it a few times then I am pretty sure you did not see much. The ghosts are tough to beat and a blast if you do. The modes are well done and unique. The sounds and music are fantastic for the theme. It is a little bit of a drain hog for sure. I am learning to nudge better with this machine. I go from TZ, to WOZ to AMH and AMH plays just as good in a different way. IT is not as heavy as the other two but, it is perfectly fine. dollar for dollar i think it is a pretty decent value for what you are getting in a unique BOOTique game. Everyone that comes over says its a hoot to play. Especially when you can HEAR it. Hearing is key with this funny and kooky game. I did have to dial mine in a little for it to play like I prefer. I now have fast and crazy playing AMH. I recommend finding one to play where you can put some time one it.

#9 9 years ago

Total Dud vote are total bullshit I'm sorry. No way is this game even close to a dud. Just sayin'

#10 9 years ago

Played it at Chicago expo on Saturday in the X-Pin booth. It was hard to hear, the call-outs are slightly amateurish, but it plays great; as well as any other game/manufacturer. The DMD animations have their own unique look that works quite well too.

Regarding the callouts:
* If you've ever watched any of the ghost shows that this theme is based on, you'll know *THEY* are a bit amateurish. It fits the theme just fine.
* First time I ever saw/heard Monster Bash... I thought the callouts on that sounded amateurish and in that case didn't fit the Universal Monsters theme at all. And this is a late 90's Williams title...

I just sent Spooky a deposit this morning for one. (Will be my first NIB)

#11 9 years ago

I got several games in on it, I would say it plays better than it looks, I'm not a fan of the artwork at all, but that is of course subjective. Also have to take into account that this game is priced significantly lower than most of the other boutique pins, really not fair to compare it to games costing nearly $3000 more.

#12 9 years ago

I think the game is a lot of fun and has a lot of character. The audio is mostly great and can be modified if it's not to your liking. The game is absolutely brutal, almost to a fault. I have longer ball times on FG and BSD. I cant see anyone ever getting to the wizard mode, ever. There are some gremlins to work out, but I think any airballs are just a sign that the coils are turned up too high. My flippers were set to max from the factory and balls were flying everywhere. I turned them down to 60% and it plays perfectly. Only place I get balls stuck is to the left of the bottom pop and a ball search finds it. So yea, game is not perfect, but it's really fun when I have a ball that lasts more than 30 seconds.

#13 9 years ago

I LOVE it. I have only been able to put a couple games on it, but it was love at first play, which I have only otherwise had with Iron Man. I am trying my best to figure out a way that I can own one in the future. I am not someone that worries much about theme and art (for instance, I LOVE VND, with perhaps the worst art and one of the stupidest themes), but I find that just fine. The gameplay I care about though, and the gameplay from what I have played is SOLID.

I do like tough games, and I had noticed that previously about AMH, and I think that is one thing that draws me to it.

I want one, bad.

#14 9 years ago

Yes it's tough. Once dialed in I have zero air balls now.

#15 9 years ago

Would want to get this game and have friend and visitors play it. Any way to make more non pinhead friendly?

#16 9 years ago

Thanks for the honest assessment guys. Joe's AMH at York does have old code, and we've made several adjustments to prevent the stuck balls. He's got the parts to correct much of that now. His game was prototype #2. The Expo game even had a couple spots the ball could be stuck but I didn't want to crack it open and fix during the show. That game is the same war horse that went to the MN state fair and has been around the block a few times.

AMH is exactly what we hoped it would be... a solid first effort. Good game with a great rule set. Yeah... I'm biased as hell.

We're still learning and doing what we can to make it better. Thanks to everyone who helps support us and took a chance. We're far from perfect, but we sure can't complain where we're at either.

#17 9 years ago

Charlie - Do you have a link for game play video that you particularly like?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I think the game is a lot of fun and has a lot of character. The audio is mostly great and can be modified if it's not to your liking. The game is absolutely brutal, almost to a fault. I have longer ball times on FG and BSD. I cant see anyone ever getting to the wizard mode, ever. There are some gremlins to work out, but I think any airballs are just a sign that the coils are turned up too high. My flippers were set to max from the factory and balls were flying everywhere. I turned them down to 60% and it plays perfectly. Only place I get balls stuck is to the left of the bottom pop and a ball search finds it. So yea, game is not perfect, but it's really fun when I have a ball that lasts more than 30 seconds.

Thanks for the honest review Brian. I was having fun playing it and advancing until....... Guess that I need more time on one

BTW I didn't give it a lousy rating. I liked it but it's not for me.

#19 9 years ago

Haven't played it yet, would like to though if one comes near NJ.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Charlie - Do you have a link for game play video that you particularly like?

Yuuup. The video the PAPA team shot was outstanding! There's a link to it on our info page.

http://www.spookypinball.com/games-swag/

#21 9 years ago

I played AMH at PBL open House. It was a challenging pinball, that I found to be a bit of a Drain Monster. But I only got 2 games on it so i'm sure most of this was my fault. I really wanted to hear the call outs but it was far to loud and crowed at the open house to hear them. The one thing I really thing that needs addressing is the GI lighting on the game is FAR FAR to dark. I couldn't even see the art work on the play-field it was so dark.

But it was definite solid first release for Spooky.

JJ

#22 9 years ago

Needs green glow in the dark pinballs too : )

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I played AMH at PBL open House. It was a challenging pinball, that I found to be a bit of a Drain Monster. But I only got 2 games on it so i'm sure most of this was my fault. I really wanted to hear the call outs but it was far to loud and crowed at the open house to hear them. The one thing I really thing that needs addressing is the GI lighting on the game is FAR FAR to dark. I couldn't even see the art work on the play-field it was so dark.

But it was definite solid first release for Spooky.

You aren't wrong... the interior cabinet lighting really brightens up the playfield but the GI could have been better. Live and learn. Ben has been asking me to do a spotlight kit. We may still do that.

To me, the humor in the game absolutely needs to be heard to be appreciated. Ben did a great job on the script! Nordman's lines still make me laugh out loud. The game plays fast, but setting the coils up or down (in most cases down) helps make it more user friendly. In the menu you can also decrease / increase the number of hits it takes to do things, lengthen ball save times, go to 5 ball, etc etc to see more of the modes. The rules are a mile deep... I've still never gotten past 4 of 6 ghosts. We have yet to hear of a customer getting to Demon Battle (wizard) mode. Although I did get a picture proving someone was 1 shot away when he drained. Arrrrggghhghgh!!!

#24 9 years ago

AMH is a boutique pin that is currently more affordable than any of the other boutique pins. If only a relatively small number are produced it may turn out to be sought after like BBB down the road. If so, there are people who then will say the game play isn't good enough to warrant the high cost (just like there are people who say that now about BBB). I say buy or order it now while you can before it turns into a valuable rarity. Especially those of you who wish you'd pre-ordered BBB from IPB.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I got several games in on it, I would say it plays better than it looks, I'm not a fan of the artwork at all, but that is of course subjective.

I feel the same way about the art based on what I've seen here and in pictures. Sometimes things change in person though. I'm generally not a fan of airbrush/gradient type soft transitions and I like textures. I'm more into outlines and graphic design print-type style layouts for pins. It makes sense they used this style, being these are supposed to be gaseous apparitions of the non-smelly kind. Then again, Pac-Man had ghosts that were solid colored and outlined. But they also lacked the technology at the time to do transparency/blurs in-game, and they wanted to represent the game in the side artwork. It wasn't a design choice, they HAD no choice! I'd imagine they would have, given an option.

This is solely my opinion though, and that is what makes art wonderful. It is subjective, polarized, not everyone will like it, and it should always be that way. If we voted by committee on art, we'd end up with nothing but unicorn barf shit prints like Thomas Kinkade everywhere or play it safe styles on everything. Not everyone likes the music I write or the artwork I create. I'm fine with that, I do it for myself ultimately. And although this is a creation intended for the public domain and sale, they did what they wanted.

And I wish Spooky the best, they're doing great stuff for the hobby.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

You aren't wrong... the interior cabinet lighting really brightens up the playfield but the GI could have been better. Live and learn. Ben has been asking me to do a spotlight kit. We may still do that.
To me, the humor in the game absolutely needs to be heard to be appreciated. Ben did a great job on the script! Nordman's lines still make me laugh out loud. The game plays fast, but setting the coils up or down (in most cases down) helps make it more user friendly. In the menu you can also decrease / increase the number of hits it takes to do things, lengthen ball save times, go to 5 ball, etc etc to see more of the modes. The rules are a mile deep... I've still never gotten past 4 of 6 ghosts. We have yet to hear of a customer getting to Demon Battle (wizard) mode. Although I did get a picture proving someone was 1 shot away when he drained. Arrrrggghhghgh!!!

Spot Lights or maybe Strip light on the Metal Arch would solve it I think. You guys are off to great things! Keep up the good work. I Really wish I could have heard the call outs.

JJ

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

I accept that challenge
Heard the game shipped
Thank you for shipping on schedule
I can't freaking wait

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I accept that challenge
Heard the game shipped
Thank you for shipping on schedule
I can't freaking wait

Let the Pinball Bulbs do some toying with it! I wanna see if they can take the game to the next level of lighting.

Charley, would Brighter (EG more Expensive) LED's for the GI help? Looks like you are using the Ablaze singles and I find those to be pretty dim.. Maybe some Pinball Bulbs Frosted or Comet Domes?

#29 9 years ago

Charlie, is this game a confirmed limited run? If so, how many are you making?

#30 9 years ago

Great game, lifetime pass for gameplay alone. Got the whirly ghost magnet thing with the motorized target bank, the haunted door that opens and closes, and the hellavator that the player can call up or down, thats pretty awesome. I actually liked that pinball zombies game too, the ball buzzes all over the playfield hitting pops and slings and you're like what just happened?

#31 9 years ago

I'm calling it a "B", but that's only having played two games on it. It's staying on the list of games I'm considering for my next purchase.

#32 9 years ago

Having seen a few videos, I'm more sold on the product… seems like a fun and unique game. One to consider when it comes time to get the next game.

#33 9 years ago

Here's a video I had done a few weeks ago. Just straight up gameplay in a dark environment...

#34 9 years ago

I think this game holds it's own against other currently popular titles. It's challenging and a lot of fun.

#35 9 years ago

During the modes when the side lights do their thing it is plenty bright. This theme would not be all that great if it were acdc bright. I did add a couple green spots and one extra blue and it is perfect.

IMG_0015.JPGIMG_0015.JPG IMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpg
#36 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Charlie, is this game a confirmed limited run? If so, how many are you making?

Someone posted in another thread (killing me I cannot find it now) that they made 20 so far and plan on making 100-120 more.

#37 9 years ago

I have one that is for sale. I think its a solid B. Great first effort.

#38 9 years ago

From the Spooky Pinball website...
"Limited to 150 production games. No tricks, no gimmicks, no LE’s or games from the crypt coming later. "

#39 9 years ago

I wish I could vote on that Poll! For that I need to play it first... any AMH customer in France?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

"Limited to 150 production games. No tricks, no gimmicks, no LE’s or games from the crypt coming later. "

Whoa! That's new. I thought they were going to make as many as they could sell, but I'm sure they have other projects waiting in the wings. I'm glad I got mine!

#41 9 years ago

Yeah, this and ACDC Premium are the two themes that my wife and I must have. There will always be plenty of ACDC Premiums around to get later, but this one may be very hard to find in the future if you/we do not get one now.

#42 9 years ago

Doughslingers has one for sale NOW! No wait and a great price.

#43 9 years ago

If you look a kooky, fun, fast, tough game. This is your title. I absolutely love it. I will admit it frustrates me at times. That keeps me coming back though.

#44 9 years ago

I like the playfield layout, it looked kind of crowded in pictures but after playing it, it works better than I thought it would. For as low as the manufacturing run was the production quality is outstanding. The gameplay should stay fresh for a while as there are a lot of great shots and fun modes. The theme is way too cutesy for me though, be real horror or be nothing.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

That is great news for those already owning! Collectability just went up IMHO.

#46 9 years ago

Game is A PLUSSSSSS in my book.

It has fantastic code and great ruleset with good risk/reward both physically and in ruleset.
Shots are all extremely FUN.

The newly announced limit makes me want to sell a few of my games and get one before it is too late... Not sure what I could part with to make that happen.

The voice work is really funny and cheesy >> it is supposed to be from my understanding. I actually love some good humor in a game.

Physically I am not a huge fan of the right scoop kickout but with the adjustable coil strength this should be easily tweaked in the home setting.

Charlie >> do you want to take a HUO BK2K as partial trade towards payment for AMH?

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is great news for those already owning!

And for those of us waiting for the day we get to open our first *NEW* game.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Doughslingers has one for sale NOW! No wait and a great price.

Thanks Coasterguy! It is now sold! Going to a Pinsider in MD!

#49 9 years ago

I played this quite a bit at Expo. I'm on the list and waiting to hear back as too how far along I am. I ended up enjoying this more than most of the new stuff!

I agree it could use a few more lights, but Coasterguy's looks good.

#50 9 years ago

No, REALLY rate it:
8 more ratings before this weekend, and it will be climbing the top-100 somewhere...
-mof
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/americas_most_haunted/ratings

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 210.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-those-who-have-played-amhgrade-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.