(Topic ID: 106943)

For those that have played TWD...Grade it!

By 27dnast

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“For those that have played TWD...Grade it!”

• (A) Plays great, long term appeal for a collection 46 votes
    17%
  • (B) Fun game, will want to own for a while 55 votes
    20%
  • (B) Fun Game, wouldn't want to own it 49 votes
    18%
  • (C) Meh, it was ok 90 votes
    33%
  • (D) Total Dud 17 votes
    6%
  • (F) Bad Stuff 6 votes
    2%
  • (X) Other, explain 12 votes
    4%

(275 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

A machine would never get made if consensus was required. Put four engineers in a room you get five ideas, one that each individual likes, and one they all hate.

Quality control appears to be the main issue from the development of a grade "A" title from Stern aside from the lack of code development at launch. It appears Stern lacks sufficient data to fix flaws such as a slinging magnet drains and a faulty pop bumpers or smash toys that alter the intended flow of the game.

Data collection based on ball times,switches activated,and causes in relation to fast ball drains on a larger scale would help detect unintended results,and give them a chance to modify problems and allow for a more positive game release and possibly a more positive review from this community as a result.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Quality control appears to be the main issue from the development of a grade "A" title from Stern aside from the lack of code development at launch. It appears Stern lacks sufficient data to fix flaws such as a slinging magnet drains and a faulty pop bumpers or smash toys that alter the intended flow of the game.
Data collection based on ball times,switches activated,and causes in relation to fast ball drains on a larger scale would help detect unintended results,and give them a chance to modify problems and allow for a more positive game release and possibly a more positive review from this community as a result.

Why don't they just play the pins, see what's wrong, and fix it? We seem to be able to point out every flaw instantly and in real time.

#153 9 years ago

No offence to Tron owners and I have owned one as well so I'm not a hater but after my brief time with TWD pro I just don't see how you could deem that game great and this one a dud, please explain. Not being defensive just curious, so take it easy.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Imagine if you spent 6 months writing code and rules for one of your dream titles.
Again, imagine if your boss came up and said scrap most of it and you have six weeks to rewrite it.
Imagine your initials were LFS.
Imagine if that same boss then said give us back your awesome setup, we may just use it if we can.
Imagine Lyman's lament.

I'm having a hard time with this one. It isn't passing the smell test for me. If Lyman spent 6 months writing it I could totally see them coming into his office and saying "No voices from the show, yank em". But that would just be content. But why would they pitch all the rules as well? Start from scratch? I'm having a tough time understanding how that would come about. It just doesn't make sense. Could you give us more info? I understand that you probably can't, I'm just trying to understand how it wouldn't be easier to open pinball browser and insert redneck calls into the same ruleset.

#155 9 years ago

I played TWD Pro at a launch party. I must say it plays far better and more fun than it looks at first sight from the pictures/movies I've seen. TWD as a theme is a no starter for me - would be all over it if it was the right zombie franchise (Resident Evil).

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why don't they just play the pins, see what's wrong, and fix it? We seem to be able to point out every flaw instantly and in real time.

why bother when people keep ordering these things that are code incomplete for a least a year. even stern doesn't respect these customers.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm having a hard time with this one. It isn't passing the smell test for me. If Lyman spent 6 months writing it I could totally see them coming into his office and saying "No voices from the show, yank em". But that would just be content. But why would they pitch all the rules as well? Start from scratch? I'm having a tough time understanding how that would come about. It just doesn't make sense. Could you give us more info? I understand that you probably can't, I'm just trying to understand how it wouldn't be easier to open pinball browser and insert redneck calls into the same ruleset.

I don't have those details, I've given everything I have on info so far.

Guy didn't give me many more details than what I've shared. Sorry guys.

I haven't talked to him this week so far.

#158 9 years ago

Played fine, tilts were too sensitive so the magnet SDTM was a problem. I also didn't care for the clunky "roll off the edge of a ramp" return from the pops.

Something to consider RE voices. If you're Iron Man, Predator or TBL, you only have to sift through 2 hours of dialog to find whatever clips are usable. Star Trek is filled with "Zoom camera up to actor have them say something to explain ridiculous plot" moments - perfect for modes. Plus, per Steve Ritchie's talk at the Seattle show, they were given "clean" dialog only versions of each movie to cull from.

Walking Dead: All dialog is either characters mumbling secrets to each other, or screaming over music and sound effects during a zombie attack. Instead of 2 hours to sift through, you've got 50. Add on a licencor who probably sucks to work with, actors who are too busy to record dialog, and you end up where we are today.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Played fine, tilts were too sensitive so the magnet SDTM was a problem. I also didn't care for the clunky "roll off the edge of a ramp" return from the pops.

Something to consider RE voices. If you're Iron Man, Predator or TBL, you only have to sift through 2 hours of dialog to find whatever clips are usable. Star Trek is filled with "Zoom camera up to actor have them say something to explain ridiculous plot" moments - perfect for modes. Plus, per Steve Ritchie's talk at the Seattle show, they were given "clean" dialog only versions of each movie to cull from.

Walking Dead: All dialog is either characters mumbling secrets to each other, or screaming over music and sound effects during a zombie attack. Instead of 2 hours to sift through, you've got 50. Add on a licencor who probably sucks to work with, actors who are too busy to record dialog, and you end up where we are today.

It certainly makes one yearn for the days when they could get the entire cast of STTNG to record custom callouts for the game.

#160 9 years ago

I've put more games on TWD and I must say the layout is pretty cool. It's different but that's good. Since the framework is there all they need to do is fine tune it. They can always add or change callouts and who knows maybe they will step up and get actors speech. Its early, wait till it's finished, then judge. Me personally, I'll wait for MAIDEN.

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It certainly makes one yearn for the days when they could get the entire cast of STTNG to record custom callouts for the game.

I am pretty sure if you flashed a total of $100,000 grand at some or all of TWD actors you would get some bites. Amortized over a run of 2000 games, I would pay an extra 50 bucks for a horde or custom Merle vs. Daryl callouts or whatever.

I mean, would you show up to work for at most a day or two for a hundred grand? I would. Maybe the guy who plays Merle is too busy having 20 year old female groupies hand feed him grapes to be interested in it, but color me surprised

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am pretty sure if you flashed a total of $100,000 grand at some or all of TWD actors you would get some bites.

If Stern isn't willing to cough up the cash, maybe the community needs to be more proactive. Someone should create a kickstarter to raise money for custom quotes ...

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If Stern isn't willing to cough up the cash, maybe the community needs to be more proactive. Someone should create a kickstarter to raise money for custom quotes ...

How about that someone be you since u suggested it

#164 9 years ago

Played TWD in the Expo tourney. Already the head inside the prison doesn't register. This, with fewer than 500 plays?! Terrible QC, as usual.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Played TWD in the Expo tourney. Already the head inside the prison doesn't register. This, with fewer than 500 plays?! Terrible QC, as usual.

Head in prison needs switch set up. Operator at expo didn't set it correctly.

#166 9 years ago

Well said. I was thinking exactly the same thing, which is that the shots are not on the sweet spots of the flipper. Like they just contrived tight shots with the logic "it's a zombie game, so let's make it really hard". I think it is an average title; not bad, not good.

Quoted from yancy:

I don't like how the game shoots at all. The shots just feel awkward, can't put my finger on why. This is coming from someone who owns & loves three other John Borg games. And I'm not into the bash toy which feels like it blocks half the playfield, even though it's "only" as big around as a baseball.
Also not a fan of two ramps which both loop back to the same flipper. It's passable on some games, like BSD, but I don't like it here.
All four TWD pros I've played inconsistently register well walker hits. Might be possible to dial it in nicely, but 0 for 4 is a bad start.
Bumper area is odd. Seems like the ball has little action when it's in the middle, and only gets multiple bumps near the edges or on the way out.
Code plays like a typical bare bones Stern early version. Might be fun in a year, but I can only judge what they've given us. Maybe if someone could explain the multi-kill thing to me I might enjoy it. Doesn't seem intuitive at all.
I voted dud. Code might eventually upgrade my opinion to "meh," but nothing can change how it shoots or that it's brown & tan with a giant torso like Sega Frankenstein.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I hate to be a downer but for an 8k game why should WE also pay the actors as well as buying the machine? Why don't we all start a Stern trust fund too so we all have a pool of money to pay the actors for the next Stern game?

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I hate to be a downer but for an 8k game why should WE also pay the actors as well as buying the machine?

I was joking about the kickstarter, but not necessarily about being more proactive as buyers. There has to be something we can do as a community to help motivate Stern. Given what they are charging for the game, there is no excuse for there not to be voice callouts from the show. We can either sit idly by and hope for the best, or we can do something to let Stern know that we are displeased. Considering how large of a percentage the home market represents to Stern's bottom line, we actually wield quite a bit of power. It's just a matter of figuring out how to leverage that power in a way that helps us achieve our goal. Anyone have any ideas?

#169 9 years ago

Like a Pinside request thread addressed to Stern?
See how many members sign it... Can't hurt to ask

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I was joking about the kickstarter, but not necessarily about being more proactive as buyers. There has to be something we can do as a community to help motivate Stern. Given what they are charging for the game, there is no excuse for there not to be voice callouts from the show. We can either sit idly by and hope for the best, or we can do something to let Stern know that we are displeased. Considering how large of a percentage the home market represents to Stern's bottom line, we actually wield quite a bit of power. It's just a matter of figuring out how to leverage that power in a way that helps us achieve our goal. Anyone have any ideas?

The motivation is supposed to be not buying their games when they don't do something we like, but thats never going to happen.

#171 9 years ago

I put in 20 games or so at a local bar. I really love the theme, art package, and the layout is interesting, but I don't think I'll be putting much more money in it due to all the cheap drains.

Ball off the magnet, STDM.
Ball out of the bumpers, STDM.
Ball hitting the right slingshot, airball to the left outlane.

I'd say about 20% of the balls I played were cheap drains due to bad design. I'd probably love the machine if I had one at home and I could tweak things to be more fair, but it's not worth the $$ to me to play it on location.

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from cheezywhiz:

I put in 20 games or so at a local bar. I really love the theme, art package, and the layout is interesting, but I don't think I'll be putting much more money in it due to all the cheap drains.
Ball off the magnet, STDM.
Ball out of the bumpers, STDM.
Ball hitting the right slingshot, airball to the left outlane.
I'd say about 20% of the balls I played were cheap drains due to bad design. I'd probably love the machine if I had one at home and I could tweak things to be more fair, but it's not worth the $$ to me to play it on location.

Seems to be the issue, drains on location! Set up right, at home, and problems avoided. Well, I guess OPs don't mind it that way

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Seems to be the issue, drains on location! Set up right, at home, and problems avoided. Well, I guess OPs don't mind it that way

Hold on Ice. Are you saying OPs on location are setting up games for minimal ball times?

I don't know this world anymore...

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

The motivation is supposed to be not buying their games when they don't do something we like, but that's never going to happen.

Exactly. The first thing I thought of was a boycott of all NIB Sterns until they address this TWD nonsense, but I quickly realized that it would be in vein. As soon as Stern announces Iron Maiden, or whatever the hell the next title is going to be, the lemmings will be lining up in droves again to pre-order the LE's. We are our own worst enemies.

#175 9 years ago

I think most folks are way-overreacting saying this game is sub par. Perhaps you're too used to seeing $8K NIB games?

I played TWD today and had a blast. The layout is fun/unique, the art is awesome, and the light show is engaging. At this point, the code is the only thing keeping me from giving it a full endorsement. It is a very nice looking game with some fun shots, I can't wait to see what Lyman does to "flesh-out" this bad-boy.

#176 9 years ago

I very much enjoyed what little time I've spent on it thus far. Understand that I was playing it in a place where I couldn't hear 90% of what the machine was saying (much less the music it was playing), and on the very early code that was available a couple weeks ago.

That being said, I was more than happy with the playfield itself. It's showing some interesting layout changes from Stern, which I appreciate. If it isn't innovative, at least they're not playing it as safe as they have been. The shots feel good, the ramps look unable to be hit but aren't (and are, in fact, quite repeatable), and it feels pretty fresh overall. On the one I was able to play, the Prison house sensors were working well, but once those doors opened, the zombie head inside *might* sense one shot out of every ten, at most. While that was disappointing, I *still* had fun playing the thing. It says something pretty good when the Big Toy on the game isn't fully functional, and I still could enjoy the thing on early code with basically no sound.

I was surprised to be as impressed as I was. Happily so.

#177 9 years ago

My uncle recently got to meet Andrew Lincoln and asked about the pinball and why there was no custom speech. He was astonished that there even was a pinball machine, he was excited about it but did not even know about it or why it did not have any of the actors voices in it. Sounds like Stern is just being lazy and not even reaching out.

#178 9 years ago

Sounds like an opportunity to reach out directly to Andrew! Get on it Stern
Then again, they may have already tried and his agent said no without ever even approaching him. Wouldn't be the first time a talent never heard of an opportunity.

#179 9 years ago

He also might have to get permission from AMC if he even did want to do it. AMC owns Rick Grimes, not Andrew Lincoln.

2 weeks later
#180 9 years ago

What do owners have to say now after the first few months? Thinking about this game...

#181 9 years ago

I love it. Can't stop playing it.

#182 9 years ago

I'm highly addicted myself, play a game, sit down for 10 min and then I'm back. It's not a honeymoon phase either, gameplay seems fresh and rule set even with early code is great.

#183 9 years ago

I Finally got to Un-Box & play the Banker's LE ,, I Like it !! The Music is Great w/ the Pin and the Goofy call out guy Really isn't that Bad ,, !! With All the Xtra toys the LE offer's like the Kross-bow , Raising Ramp , drop target to get back N 2 the Shooter lane 4 the Xtra Ball , Rustic Powder Coat ( now that lOok's Great ) Mirrored B/G , Fish Tank w/ 3 Heads , R.W Led boards , GI's that change from Red to White automatically etc ... Taking All of this away from the Pro , I just wonder how it play's .
I will say TWD is a Drain Monster on either out lane and STLM from the Prison / Barn ,,

I voted for B ,, I liked it , but I'd sell or Trade it after a while ( that's what I do ) .. Kick Azz Pin tho .. Here's my Video ,, watch it using 1080p

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm highly addicted myself, play a game, sit down for 10 min and then I'm back. It's not a honeymoon phase either, gameplay seems fresh and rule set even with early code is great.

First month with machine and it's not a honeymoon phase? Funny. Glad you like it! That's what's supposed to happen.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

First month with machine and it's not a honeymoon phase? Funny. Glad you like it! That's what's supposed to happen.

Its not funny, I have had over 70 pins come in and out of my home over the last few years and I'm well aware of the honeymoon phase, if you have played an LE in the proper setting then you would understand. I get what your saying but it doesn't apply here. Xmen had a HMP, Met HMP, AC/DC HMP, TWDLE just great. Theme is part of it for sure but that's a major factor with regards to pinball.

#186 9 years ago

Dude, you said the same with your last machine, STLE. Unless you're saying it outside of what would be the honeymoon period, saying it's not the "honeymoon period" is just silly. To me. Go wild.

#187 9 years ago

TWDLE is a keeper, Cointaker sent warm white premium 2s , reds, red flex. Great improvement.

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Dude, you said the same with your last machine, STLE. Unless you're saying it outside of what would be the honeymoon period, saying it's not the "honeymoon period" is just silly. To me. Go wild.

I did say that and STLE is still in my collection, everything else is gone. In fact STLE is the longest I've owned any pin so you can see I'm well aware of the honeymoon phase as I don't keep pinball machines for very long. Not to be a dick but tough to take criticism from someone who owns AVLE, that game lasted 2 weeks in my house. To each is own I guess.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 26.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-those-that-have-played-twdgrade-it/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.