(Topic ID: 106943)

For those that have played TWD...Grade it!

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“For those that have played TWD...Grade it!”

• (A) Plays great, long term appeal for a collection 46 votes
    17%
  • (B) Fun game, will want to own for a while 55 votes
    20%
  • (B) Fun Game, wouldn't want to own it 49 votes
    18%
  • (C) Meh, it was ok 90 votes
    33%
  • (D) Total Dud 17 votes
    6%
  • (F) Bad Stuff 6 votes
    2%
  • (X) Other, explain 12 votes
    4%

(275 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

So now that folks have gotten their hands on the pro... grade it!

#2 4 years ago

more importantly the LE

#3 4 years ago

It's really hard to rate it with such an early version of the code. I bought one and I've been playing it quite a bit, but at this point I can't base it on the rules. I think smacking the ball around is fun, the music is awesome, and the call-outs are what they are. I think once the code is finished it will be a pretty solid game.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballJon:

It's really hard to rate it with such an early version of the code. I bought one and I've been playing it quite a bit, but at this point I can't base it on the rules. I think smacking the ball around is fun, the music is awesome, and the call-outs are what they are. I think once the code is finished it will be a pretty solid game.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. It's a fun game to flip on, and the code will only continue to improve. I'll also add that I think the LE will offer a much different gameplay experience.

#5 4 years ago

Cookie cutter as can be in my opinion. The pop area is poorly designed. Code is early but layout cannot be fixed by code. Not a fan of the giant bash toy real close up either.

#6 4 years ago

Fan of the show, fan of Stern, never played game and not really interested..

#7 4 years ago

I didn't take part N the Poll, I haven't play'd it yet ,but i'm Wanting too and will Soon !! LE tho

1 thing i did find out about TWD awhile ago was , that Originally the Pin had the Cast members of the Show in the call outs ,, but the cast Disputed & wanted a Large Sum of $$ , so Stern Re-programed the Sound w/ the weird guy .. I'm sure others knew this , I didn't .. Not sure if i want TWD or Not

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

1 thing i did find out about TWD awhile ago was , that Originally the Pin had the Cast members of the Show in the call outs ,, but the cast Disputed & wanted a Large Sum of $$ , so Stern Re-programed the Sound w/ the weird guy .. I'm sure others knew this , I didn't ..

If that's true, I don't know if I'm more pissed off at the cast for being such dicks, or at Stern for not paying up.

#9 4 years ago

I think Stern would have payed a fair price I would place the blame on TWD big shots.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If that's true, I don't know if I'm more pissed off at the cast for being such dicks, or at Stern for not paying up.

I would blame Stern for not negotiating this into the original licensing agreement, but in the end, it doesn't surprise me that cast members wanted a major cut on this too. There is only so much to go around and Stern should have turned this licensing agreement down if they were not going to get cooporation for the use of the property.

#11 4 years ago

I spent about 2 hours REALLY trying to like the shots on this game....unfortunately it didn't happen. The 'right flipper road block' was enough for me to cancel my LE. Adding a 3rd bash toy and 'bow and arrow' won't change the layout. Probably game I would mine dropping a couple bucks in out and about... but certainly not one I wanna buy.

On the plus side the dots are really good. Funny that I had more fun watching the game than playing it

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I would say it all depends on how much they wanted, right? I'd vote pay up, but if it was some crazy sum then forget that

The layout is definitely different than most and really challenging in some areas. People seem to not like that. It's a nudge heavy game for sure!

#13 4 years ago

I voted other......rating.....Incomplete! Can't really give it a grade just yet. From what I have played, I think it is fun but still too early to give it a grade.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

I would blame Stern for not negotiating this into the original licensing agreement, but in the end, it doesn't surprise me that cast members wanted a major cut on this too. There is only so much to go around and Stern should have turned this licensing agreement down if they were not going to get cooporation for the use of the property.

So sell no pins? Stern has already sold 600LEs to distributors and probably several hundred Pros. So they just should've tossed all that revenue down the toilet because people on Pinside think Stern should've taken their ball and gone home?

My guess with both The Hobbit and their Smaug issues and TWD, you get to a point where you have too much skin in the game to call it. Instead, you have to adapt. Realities of staying in business.

#15 4 years ago

The Banker has been told he Should have his LE ( in his Gameroom ) before Nov 1st .. I plan on play-n and Film-n ,,, them I will give my Honest opinion & vote !!

#16 4 years ago

If it had been selling for 4,300 I would have bought one because of how much I love the show. However at 4,900 and with no voices from the show, I waited to play it. So last night was the first time playing it... I didn't like it.

First of all I didn't like the shots. There were so many cheap drains all over the place. The magnet in front of the prison... SDTM. A slow roller return from the pops just nicks the post at the ramp and SDTM (the second time it happened I started taking tilt warnings to make it not happen).

And now on to my biggest complaint... the lighting. Is it bright? Sure. Does it strobe like crappy LEDs? You bet it does. It strobes like crazy. If you are at all sensitive to LED strobing, this game is just bad. BUT it gets worse. A significant amount of the lights were ghosting depending on what was lit. Lights that were supposed to be out would have that dim LED flicker like they were just about to come on all the time. Is that extra ball lit? No, it is just a dull flicker. When lit they were bright, but when unlit they were not fully off. It is just a bad LED job. Didn't they design this to have LEDs in it? How the heck could it need an LED OCD board? So the lighting is a total failure in my opinion. I am REALLY hoping it was just the copy of the game I was playing on.

The software isn't fair to evaluate because it is so early. Although it was what Stern provided with the game, so I guess I can evaluate it... It is not good. Lyman has his work cut out for him here.

So overall I didn't like the physical game. I didn't like the software on it. And I wanted to treat the announcer like a walker. However it is on location not very far from me. So I will probably continue to stop by and play it. It was fun to drop a fiver into, and because it was new it was pretty easy to win free games on it while the replay scores were low. I can totally see me dropping bucks into it on location. I like cheap thrills and I don't mind the cheap drains for location pinball. But it is definitely not a game I would put in my house. There are too many things that would annoy me.

Post edited by DaveH: This was all on the Pro.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

On the plus side the dots are really good. it

I agree, but can anyone believe we still have to use this phrase in 2014?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

I agree, but can anyone believe we still have to use this phrase in 2014?

I know...should be "the dots are really well."

#19 4 years ago

For me a good game will make me miss shots. I need to feel like the game beat me or caused me to miss or lose the ball. I played this game at two different locations and both times almost every ball lost was STTM or a dump down the left outlane. Not a good layout. Combine that with a theme I don't care for, the way the ball dumps out of the pops and another huge chunk of plastic toy in my way there is not much for me to like about it. The ramps and the star rollovers are cool. Many Sterns over the last 8 years play a lot better, most in fact. I think many are blinded by the theme they love but I don't find it to be much fun.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

The layout is definitely different than most and really challenging in some areas. People seem to not like that.

The unique layout is one of things I like about it. It's nice to have a game that plays differently from the other games in your collection, and I applaud Borg for trying something new. Gomez attempted this with TAV, but I don't think he successfully pulled it off.

#21 4 years ago

I would buy it...
but it's too expensive for a pro

#22 4 years ago

I understand people don't like the layout, but for me the layout is one of the things that made me want it. I like the ramps and I like the way the orbits are set up. The fact that the left orbit always gets the ball stuck in the pop bumpers really sucks though.

#23 4 years ago

DaveH ,, that was the Most Honest and through explanation of TWD that I've read .. And i agree that the Double Leds from Cointaker are Bright ,, I told Chris he Should convince Stern to Switch to using their Premium Frosteds .. I've swap'd out Every D.Led for Prem- Frosteds in my IMVE ,, Much Better ..

Melissa at CoinTaker and can get anyone a TWD Pro cheaper than $ 4900.00 to yr door .. She usually includes a few goodies as well if u ask .. Tell her B_R sent Ya !!!

#24 4 years ago

Dammit it's just 12 minutes from me but haven't had the time to play it..I will Thursday or Friday

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

So sell no pins? Stern has already sold 600LEs to distributors and probably several hundred Pros. So they just should've tossed all that revenue down the toilet because people on Pinside think Stern should've taken their ball and gone home?
My guess with both The Hobbit and their Smaug issues and TWD, you get to a point where you have too much skin in the game to call it. Instead, you have to adapt. Realities of staying in business.

No, what I am saying is do your homework before you decide you to manufacturer a pin. I am a huge Stern supporter however, there is lessons learned here. DP made sure they had full control over their licensing and made sure others like Brunswick, were in the mix. They knew other's like Kaluha were not interested but at least they did all the homework before actually commited to creating the pin.

Maybe Stern did do this and made the decision that having no actors voices or doing voice overs a suitable risk. Either way the question is who is to blame if you do not like this direction, it is Stern as they made those decision to go ahead with this title knowing this. Sometime you are better to go to the next idea, if you are not unable to agree to a reasonable licensing agreement at a fair price. Move on to the next idea, it is not like there ain't a billion licensing theme's out there that would have been just as good.

#26 4 years ago

You would think as an actor on the show, it would be cool to have your likeness and/or voice used on a pinball machine. It's not like these guys are so hard up for money that they need to play hardball. The show has made them all very rich. Then again, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a pinhead. They probablyu don't realize just how small of a niche market pinball is these days.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

if you are not unable to agree to a reasonable licensing agreement at a fair price. Move on to the next idea, it is not like there ain't a billion licensing theme's out there that would have been just as good.

^^^ This ^^^

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

Move on to the next idea, it is not like there ain't a billion licensing theme's out there that would have been just as good.

I agree, but to be fair Stern had a TON of pressure from the pinball community to produce this title. Technically, they listened to the forums and produced a title that so many people wanted to see.

#29 4 years ago

I played 3 or 4 games on it this weekend. I wasn't a fan of the harsh LED lighting, too many white insert lights on the playfield. I also found the playfield too monochromatic for my tastes. Metallica was next to it and was a luscious sea of colours. TWD seemed bland. It did play fast but nothing really to pique my interest.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballJon:

I wish people would stop using early code as an excuse. I could understand if people played a proto game and gave it a pass, makes sense, but the game is in Production and has hit the streets. If the code is incomplete or not up to par, then it's totally warranted to say so IMO.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You would think as an actor on the show, it would be cool to have your likeness and/or voice used on a pinball machine. It's not like these guys are so hard up for money that they need to play hardball. The show has made them all very rich. Then again, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a pinhead. They probablyu don't realize just how small of a niche market pinball is these days.

I would like to think the best of people too and maybe they are uneducated about the pinball world, but it is pure and simple it is greed and maximizing profits while you can. Some guys do this for the love of the game (aka Karl Urban for Star Trek) but for the most part everyone wants their piece of the pie and if it isn't money to be made then sorry not interested.

I would ask, what would the majority of you do if you were famous would you maximize your revenue potential now while you were a hot commodity or would you just give up this for free or for little gain... History has shown the majority of people take what they can get now while it is there... It is too bad, but it is what it is.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

I would like to think the best of people too and maybe they are uneducated about the pinball world, but it is pure and simple it is greed and maximizing profits while you can.

We also have to bear in mind that it's not always the actors themselves who are to blame. They all have greedy agents that do their negotiating for them.

#33 4 years ago

The idea isn't the issue here, its the execution..

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

No, what I am saying is do your homework before you decide you to manufacturer a pin. I am a huge Stern supporter however, there is lessons learned here. DP made sure they had full control over their licensing and made sure others like Brunswick, were in the mix. They knew other's like Kaluha were not interested but at least they did all the homework before actually commited to creating the pin.
Maybe Stern did do this and made the decision that having no actors voices or doing voice overs a suitable risk. Either way the question is who is to blame if you do not like this direction, it is Stern as they made those decision to go ahead with this title knowing this. Sometime you are better to go to the next idea, if you are not unable to agree to a reasonable licensing agreement at a fair price. Move on to the next idea, it is not like there ain't a billion licensing theme's out there that would have been just as good.

For all we know they did their homework and had the actors' voices in there, then the actors found out about it and started to scream, so AMC said "take it or leave it". Nobody knows exactly the circumstances of what went down except for Stern. Granted however, Stern could've chosen to just say screw it and not do a TWD pin.

They didn't. And they have still sold 600 LE pins to distributors. Let's say distributor pricing is only 6k (have no idea how accurate that is). Stern just made 3.6 million in revenue. This is not counting Pros or any money they stand to make selling mods. So tell me again, how as this a bad decision as business? Yes, it is sad that some people didn't get the TWD pin that they wanted. However Stern doesn't care which 600 people buy their LE, just that 600 actually do.

If the majority of those 600 LEs end up being stuck at distributors for the next 10 years and distributors cannot move them so don't buy future Stern pins, then yes it could be a decision that hurts them in the long run.

Stern isn't always going to make the best decisions as far as our vocal community is concerned, sometimes they are going to make decisions that are best for their bottom line just like any responsible company.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballJon:

I agree, but to be fair Stern had a TON of pressure from the pinball community to produce this title. Technically, they listened to the forums and produced a title that so many people wanted to see.

If one of the main reasons the pinball community wanted the machine was for actors voices, then Stern made some bad decisions in their licensing agreement. Either they should have paid more and eat this cost or charged people more for the machine or not produced the title at all. Either way I hope this is a successful title for Stern.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

For all we know they did their homework and had the actors' voices in there, then the actors found out about it and started to scream, so AMC said "take it or leave it". Nobody knows exactly the circumstances of what went down except for Stern. Granted however, Stern could've chosen to just say screw it and not do a TWD pin.
They didn't. And they have still sold 600 LE pins to distributors. Let's say distributor pricing is only 6k (have no idea how accurate that is). Stern just made 3.6 million in revenue. This is not counting Pros or any money they stand to make selling mods. So tell me again, how as this a bad decision as business? Yes, it is sad that some people didn't get the TWD pin that they wanted. However Stern doesn't care which 600 people buy their LE, just that 600 actually do.
If the majority of those 600 LEs end up being stuck at distributors for the next 10 years and distributors cannot move them so don't buy future Stern pins, then yes it could be a decision that hurts them in the long run.
Stern isn't always going to make the best decisions as far as our vocal community is concerned, sometimes they are going to make decisions that are best for their bottom line just like any responsible company.

Totally agree Stern is looking at the bottom line and felt this risk was probably warrented when doing the licencing, time will tell is this was justified, and I believe your right it will have a minor effect on sales overall. The question was who is to blame for actors voices not being on the machine, it is Stern...

#37 4 years ago

Boy I am glad I don't care about the actors being part of this pin, its fun and fast with good shots and the well walker is cool, not encumber some at all. Stern haters gonna hate and now that TBL is around its going to get worse just like when JJP first came on the scene then the smoke will clear and half these haters will buy TWDLE sure at a discount but none the less. People hating a pin on early code and few plays is stupid, you are entitled to ur opinion but like TH so quick to judge in a negative way. This has happened with every Stern release and now JJP as well. TWD is the coolest theme that has been done yet, with The Predator and Aliens coming in the near future its a great time to be a pinhead.

#38 4 years ago

I've played around 20 times on location (Hi-Life in Oakland).

I think it's fun. You have to nudge quite a bit to stay alive, especially when the ball comes screaming down the left orbit, but that adds character.

I give it a thumbs-up.

#39 4 years ago

I played it about 30 times this past weekend. It was ok. I will wait until there is an update to try it again.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

TWD is the coolest theme that has been done yet, with The Predator and Aliens coming in the near future its a great time to be a pinhead.

I Wouldn't Brag 2 much about Predator ... my opinion anyway ,,

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Wouldn't Brag 2 much about Predator ...
ยป YouTube video

Certain(t)ly not aboot playing skills anyway

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

If you are at all sensitive to LED strobing, this game is just bad. BUT it gets worse. A significant amount of the lights were ghosting depending on what was lit. Lights that were supposed to be out would have that dim LED flicker like they were just about to come on all the time. Is that extra ball lit? No, it is just a dull flicker. When lit they were bright, but when unlit they were not fully off. It is just a bad LED job. Didn't they design this to have LEDs in it? How the heck could it need an LED OCD board? So the lighting is a total failure in my opinion. I am REALLY hoping it was just the copy of the game I was playing on.

I noticed the same thing on the one I played at Expo. My IMVE doesn't have any flicker from the LEDs so I don't understand why TWD has it.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

The question was who is to blame for actors voices not being on the machine, it is Stern...

Sometimes things come down to a handful of bad choices though. TBL was pretty far along when they were told they couldn't use Kahlua's brand on the machine. Luckily for them it was a minor hiccup but they weren't happy about it. TH was pretty far along when they had the door shut on the Smaug design they wanted. Easy to point fingers and say it should've been done differently, but unless you are in the room I don't think blame can be assigned that easily/cleanly especially if you have a licensor who needs final approval on things that might've been in progress for awhile.

#44 4 years ago

CAN"T WAIT to see an LE in action. It's what I have ordered and it's hard to judge because the LE makes a huge difference. Put it this way....I went to the movies and they had an AC/DC....and it was soooo boring. I own a LUCCI premium and LOVE it. My girlfriend and I could not believe how boring the standard version was after getting used to the premium level of attention to toys/etc.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

On the plus side the dots are really good. Funny that I had more fun watching the game than playing it

Best part of the game thus far I have to say. For those looking to get an LE you have another Bash object added making 4 of the same type toy in the game. You Bash the prison doors, bash the prison walker, bash the Well Walker, bash the Bicycle Girl(LE). Should have called this game the BASHING DEAD.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

We also have to bear in mind that it's not always the actors themselves who are to blame. They all have greedy agents that do their negotiating for them.

I was thinking the same thing. I bet a lot of agents wouldn't even ask their clients as the money wasn't worth it for them as an agent.

#47 4 years ago

What's stupid to me is that something would be better than nothing, I mean if Stern said yeah listen the fair price is 10K per actor why wouldn't you take it, they got nothing. That's a nice trip to Vegas with all the trimmings for what allowing your voice to be used or spending an afternoon at Stern. I blame the actors as they have the power to say no problem the show has been good to me and I will give up a bit of time, the agents work for them. Bastards

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I would say it all depends on how much they wanted, right? I'd vote pay up, but if it was some crazy sum then forget that
The layout is definitely different than most and really challenging in some areas. People seem to not like that. It's a nudge heavy game for sure!

Jesus H, hire a voice actor to perfectly mimic the characters for a decent wage. A LOT of very talented people in this world that will work for reasonable pay.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Sometimes things come down to a handful of bad choices though. TBL was pretty far along when they were told they couldn't use Kahlua's brand on the machine. Luckily for them it was a minor hiccup but they weren't happy about it. TH was pretty far along when they had the door shut on the Smaug design they wanted. Easy to point fingers and say it should've been done differently, but unless you are in the room I don't think blame can be assigned that easily/cleanly especially if you have a licensor who needs final approval on things that might've been in progress for awhile.

True enough when you go for these licenses everything isn't spelled out and the interpretation at the time may not be the desired result at the end. I just feel if you have a vision at the start and know where you want to go it makes the licensing issues go a lot easier. It just seems sometimes ideas are done on the fly or perceived to be within the license agreement and then the community is told it is out of our control due to the restrictive nature of the license. If this was thought out better or planned better you would think you would have known these issues sooner and then decided if this title was really worth producing. In other words if your licensing was too restrictive then why even bother with the title find another theme that will allow you to do the creative stuff you want instead of producing a sub-standard product.

#50 4 years ago

It does seem strange when you think about it that Stern was able to use movie dialogue as well as custom Stephen Lang quotes for Avatar, and yet they were unable to secure any sound assets whatsoever for TWD. I realize it's a popular show, but Avatar was the most successful film in the history of cinema. Considering the fact that Stern is now charging substantially more for its games than they did back then, it makes the whole thing even more perplexing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
$ 499.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside