• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231130-053128 (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

It appears that IRS has delayed implementation of the new income reporting rules for Ebay and Paypal and other online businesses.

https://finance.yahoo.com/irs-ditches-new-tax-requirement-for-now-that-would-have-caused-lots-of-confusion-160527501.html

The Internal Revenue Service is delaying the new $600 reporting threshold for 1099-K tax forms, a move many tax experts believe will help avoid potential chaos this upcoming filing season.

The updated law, enacted by the American Rescue Plan, required third-party transaction networks such as Venmo, Paypal, eBay, and Etsy to issue a 1099-K for users who had more than $600 in payment transactions during the year. The previous threshold was $20,000 with over 200 transactions.

Many professional groups called for more time before implementation, noting the unexpected forms scheduled to go out in January would create confusion for many Americans who use the payment services for many nontaxable events.

“We appreciate the IRS providing this critical relief so that millions of people aren’t unnecessarily burdened with tax forms in 2023 for splitting meals, selling used goods, paying back a friend, or other instances where no taxable income was generated,” a spokesperson for the Coalition for 1099-K Fairness told Yahoo Finance in a statement after the delay was announced before the Christmas holiday.

#3 1 year ago

Sadly, for me, I gave up selling on eBay this year due to that new rule because I knew that there'd be no way in hell I'd be able to prove that I'm taking a net loss on those items I wanted to sell. If I had known they were going to postpone it to next year, I would've sold off as much as possible, as fast as possible. There's no telling at this point either if they're going to delay it again next year, or use this first delay as a kind of "warning", or better yet, hopefully ditch it all together. Who am I kidding, they're gonna keep it in. Lately, it seems the government's job is to take as much of our money as possible.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Sadly, for me, I gave up selling on eBay this year due to that new rule because I knew that there'd be no way in hell I'd be able to prove that I'm taking a net loss on those items I wanted to sell. If I had known they were going to postpone it to next year, I would've sold off as much as possible, as fast as possible. There's no telling at this point either if they're going to delay it again next year, or use this first delay as a kind of "warning", or better yet, hopefully ditch it all together. Who am I kidding, they're gonna keep it in. Lately, it seems the government's job is to take as much of our money as possible.

So true! I have been doing everything I can to not be on food stamps...

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Your last sentence is true, but only because we as voters are too stupid, or apathetic to elect normal people to congress! There are plenty of good folks that run also, they just never get traction, because of the general malaise, of the voting public!

10 months later
#6 4 months ago

Saw this on internet about update to IRS rules regarding Ebay and paypal and Venmo
income reporting thresholds.
Hope its true that it will be delayed for another year.
https://www.aol.com/news/app-payment-confusion-causes-irs-180000227.html

Taxpayers and gig workers who use apps such as Venmo and Paypal to make money selling personal goods and services don’t have to worry about the new $600 threshold for reporting sales on form 1099-K to the IRS this year.

Confusion about the new rule among taxpayers and payment companies, along with operational problems relating to unnecessary paperwork, have once again caused the agency to delay the requirement, initially passed in 2021 as part of the American Rescue Plan (ARP).

The threshold for tax year 2023 will remain at $20,000 and more than 200 transactions, the same as it was last year, IRS officials told reporters Tuesday. Next year, the IRS expects to enforce a $5,000 limit as a transitional threshold on the way down to the $600 required by law.

#7 4 months ago

All items I sell on Ebay are something I already bought and paid taxes on originally. So now when I go to sell items I have to pay Ebay fees, PayPal fee's, and now federal income tax on any total "profit" over $600? Insane. I bet the $600 "profit" threshold is before all of those Ebay and PayPal fees. Profit is in quotes as I'm not making any money on used items that I already originally paid sales tax on to begin with.

Might as well just give the stuff away.

Kinda funny how these new rules are part of a bill called the "American Rescue Act"...

#9 4 months ago

Trust me, it's not due to confusion about the new rule, we all know it's a blatant money grab on items and money that has already been taxed numerous times. It's about outrage. Tons of companies that do their own online payment processing, including eBay, have been petitioning non-stop to delay and/or completely remove this new rule. Plus, I don't think the Biden Administration wants to be seen even more as the bad guys during such a hard financial time as we're in by coming down on everyone with an additional income tax that is really hard to fight and/or prove you don't have to pay.

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

and now federal income tax on any total "profit" over $600?

My understanding is that the $600 amount is just the threshold at which the services (Venmo, PayPal, eBay) would be required to report your financial transactions to the IRS. It then effectively puts the burden of proof on you to show what transactions were actually taxable / profitable.

So.. hope you kept your purchase receipts for absolutely everything you sell, in order to show that what was reported to the IRS as “profit” from selling was in fact a loss.

Also, probably a good idea to keep personal transfers ( splitting a meal, sending money to a partner for rent, etc) in a separate account than than one you use for receiving payments for selling things/ services. Any transactions not earmarked “goods and services” should not count towards the threshold that triggers reported to the IRS. So you could probably use an account that only uses “friends and family” transactions, and not have it submitted to the IRS.

#13 4 months ago

Folks acting like it's the end of the world and closing their businesses and uses of paypal left and right is pretty laughable. The 1099k reporting tax collection was not going to affect majority of people, and in most cases even those who did do business online, the amount that they would have to pay was going to be pretty pathetic.

Random Etsy shop owner, unless your hitting 6 figure sales numbers, you weren't gonna be paying much under these threshold changes. The whole thing is out to get the big money dealers using online third party sales services to avoid sales taxes or setting up legitimate businesses.

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Random Etsy shop owner, unless your hitting 6 figure sales numbers, you weren't gonna be paying much under these threshold changes. The whole thing is out to get the big money dealers using online third party sales services to avoid sales taxes or setting up legitimate businesses.

If it's such an insignificant amount, then why the change? If it's really to go after the "big money guys", again, why the change to such a low threshold? The original $20,000 threshold is way more than the overwhelming majority of people who sell on eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, Depop, etc. will ever do in a calendar year. So, again, why the change to such a low amount?

I don't care how you slice it, it was an outright money grab that was designed to affect, and collect from, anyone and everyone who did almost ANY kind of buying and selling online; from the antique store owner trying to sell their client's stuff on eBay, to the rare guitars collector selling one or two guitars per year on Reverb.com. No, this lowering of the threshold was designed to affect everyone. Sorry.

I even remember all the chatter before they passed that bill that included this lowering of the online transaction threshold, too. Back then, the chatter was that if you had more than $600 in your bank account, or if there was more than $600 going into and out of your bank account per month, your bank was going to be reporting everything about your account to the IRS/Federal Government. Whether that was true at the time or not and then they just pivoted to the online transaction thing, or just outright fear mongering by the media overstating what was actually in the bill, we may never know. But they sure got that $600 number dead on. I even remember local news interviewing bank managers saying that they have no idea how they're going to be able to keep up with all that information/paperwork that the government was going to require.

#18 4 months ago
Screenshot_20231130-053128 (resized).pngScreenshot_20231130-053128 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-those-that-hate-ebay-and-paypal-and-new-irs-reporting-rules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.