(Topic ID: 10937)

For those of you who have installed Mantis WH2O ramp protectors ...

By gweempose

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Cliffy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tonydwh202.JPG
wh20cliffy2.JPG
wh20cliffy_vs_oem.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 11 years ago

I had to re-do the target screw holes on mine to work in the mantis protectors (they were kind of stripped anyway). I pushed the manitis protectors as far back as possible and the stand-up targets as far forward as possible. This gave some more play in the stand-up targets and fixed the issue. They don't register on every glancing blow but they register when you get a hit on them and on many glancing hits.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

As others have said, you want to move the protector back as far as possible and the target as far forward as possible. You may have to fill the old target holes. You may also have to adjust the leaf switch in the target. Also make sure the protector isn't sitting at an angle.
If none of this is done, the protector is so thick it presses against the target and may close the contacts of the switch. Get a flashlight out and look at the contacts. This will tell you whats going on.

+1 on making sure the protector isn't sitting at an angle. This was a something I really had to watch out for on the right protector. The other thing I found was that you can get away with a little bending of the Mantis protectors to make sure they're not infringing on the target space.

When I did mine I took out the target screws and removed both targets, then did a dry run where I fit everything in without the screws. It became apparent that I needed to fill the old target holes and drilled new pilot holes to push the targets forward a little. You really need to be carefull when placing everything and making sure your pilot holes are good because there's not a lot of space to work with. If you take your time an plan it out then everything should fit and work.

The other thing I'll point out is that if you have the cliffy on Disaster Drop that might cause a fitting issue. I never bought that Cliffy but I did notice that it wraps around the end of the ramp and I thought that might take up too much real estate in that area. The way the Mantis fits in there, I'm not sure the Cliffy does much to add extra protection anyway.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

That's what I have on the right, so I think that does cause a bit of conflict. I may remove it, since the mantis would do plenty to avoid any damage to that ramp. It's not exactly easy to get to, so I think it will stay in place until the next shop.
Otherwise, I had been doing everything regarding put the screws in new wood. I probably could have spent more patience adjusting the switches.

Yep, that area seems like the worst to get to because the whirlpool ramp that goes over it is attched to the underside of the upper playfield. I imagine you'd have to pull the whole upper playfield to remove that protector.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Pretty bold to "point out" an issue with my ramp protector in one sentence and immediately admit you've never even bought my protector in the next. Wow. As for your last sentence all I have to say is look at the pics and then tell me it doesn't add anything.

I appologize. That's bad form on my part to comment when I don't have the protector. I was trying to be helpful and overgeneralized. I pointed out that I didn't have the Cliffy specifically so that people would know I speculating and not speaking from experience. I should not have even speculated.

I did go back and re-examine the area on mine and I HAD to configure that area differently than the way you have it. The first thing I noticed is that the Manitis protectors I have appear to be a little different than what you have pictured there. I actually tried to insall the Mantis the way you have it there but (1) it pushed the Mantis much further into the No Way Out entrance (2) in that position the Mantis wouldn't sit flush with the mounting hole, and (3) most importantly, I had to postition the Mantis so that the lip on the right wrapped around the OUTSIDE of the Disaster Drop protector, otherwise the lip is too long, runs into the ramp plastic, and the pushes the Mantis way out into the middle of the mouting hole, crowding that area even more.

All this being said, looking at that area I think I could probably fit a Cliffy in there, it would just need to be configured so that the right lip on the Mantis went to the outside of the Cliffy. When configured like this the wrap around at the front of the Cliffy would sit behind the Mantis, but I 100% agree that the Cliffy adds more protection to the upper part of the Disaster Drop ramp.

Anyway, I never should have commented without actually trying to install both. Again, that's really poor form on my part.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-those-of-you-who-have-installed-mantis-wh2o-ramp-protectors?tu=jam_burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.