(Topic ID: 194186)

For the uneducated - What has happened to this coil?

By swampy

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by swampy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 11.58.46 AM (resized).png
IMG_4983 (resized).JPG
IMG_4982 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I've just pulled this out of a Gottlieb Solar Ride. I'm not experienced with these things, so can someone enlighten me with what is happening inside? This coil is removed from the right side hole-kicker mechanism. The whole mechanism (not surprisingly) was seized.

I will obviously need to replace it. Can someone please confirm the exact coil I need to replace it with? A-16570?

Thanks all.

IMG_4982 (resized).JPGIMG_4982 (resized).JPG

IMG_4983 (resized).JPGIMG_4983 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Hey thanks. I believe the incorrect coil was installed. The failed coil was a A-1496 which is supposed to be used in the pops only, someone had installed it into the up-kicker. The other up-kicker is A-16570.

So would this incorrect coil have possibly caused damage on the driver board?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The other up-kicker is A-16570
Correct, this is the proper coil for up kicker, vuk on Gottlieb. Just went a looked at one for you.
No, a fuse would blow first before damage at driver board. This melted coil just got locked on for about 5 min, thats all it takes. Most likely a bent wire on switch to activate coil caused this. Seen it on many pins.

Awesome, thanks very much. And the bent switch - that's exactly what I found. Leaf switch was bent and (most likely) stuck on. I'll replace the coil and hopefully all goes well. I've removed the driver board to test it (but not really having a lot of success with that, its likely to be operator error!!), I'll do the ground mod whilst its out. I did also find a blown fuse. The middle one of the 5 in the bottom of the cabinet.

Cheers!!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

From what I've heard, Marco charges a ridiculous amount to ship outside the US.
You might find shipping to be more reasonable here:
http://www.pbresource.com/coilgtb.html

Hey thanks for that.....Lucky for me I'm in the aviation business so I can regularly pickup whilst in the US or UK. Cheers.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

From the solar ride manual, the right hole kicker is A-5195:

Interesting, thanks very much. Surprising that it's not the same type of coil as the left up kicker.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-the-uneducated-what-has-happened-to-this-coil?tu=swampy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.