Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lathroum
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

OK. This is one thing that has always bothered me here on Pinside. The overall HATE that people have for Gottlieb System 3 DMD games. I for one love them. I have a Rescue 911 I have owned for over 18yrs. I have a Waterworld. I would love to add a Stargate, Mario or SFII in the future. It seems some of the reasons I like them is why other people hate them. Yes they are Quirky, I like that. I like the flippers that I can catch and aim on easily. I like that Multiball is not always a one a game thing. I think they are a great deal with lots of features for the money. The more I get into the rules of my Waterworld and the shots I need to make the better I like the game. I'm not just banging the ball around, but catching the ball and thinking of my next shot. Sink the Deez is one of the best Multiball locks in pinball is you ask me. I always go back to my Rescue 911. I love the Helicopter and so do people who come over to the game room.

I think they are easy to explain to kids and beginners, but have enough features to keep me interested and coming back.
Beginners get some satisfaction even a first game can last for a while.

Not to mention the electronics are just about bullet proof on these things.

Why do you love, or hate Gottlieb System 3 games? I see so many posts that just call them trash or junk with no actual reasoning for it.

I have owned a lot of pins. Including BK2000, Comet, F14, High Speed, Gorgar... check my owned in the past list (and this is not even close to all of them I have owned) But the Gottlieb System 3s seem to stay and are among the favorites of people who come over my house.

What are your thoughts?

I have also noticed the prices on the Gottlieb System 3 DMDs are finally going up. Are they catching on finally? Will they finally get what I think is the recognition they deserve in the pinball collecting world? Who has one or more in their collection? How do they stack up to other manufacturers from the era?

1 week later
#2 3 years ago

I get real pinball peoples deal with sys3's, however they seem to just go overboard with hate for them. My first game was a Waterworld, and man I miss it. They are great for beginners or non pinball people. I recommend them to anyone to asks me to look for a game for them, that just want 1 game at home for the "grand kids".

I liked when people hated them as it kept the prices low, now the sys3 prices are jumping near 2k ish and I'm not used to that. I would also say that the sys3's have deeper code than given credit for, but no one really dives deep into them. I remember the day I sold waterworld, I played and was getting new modes I had never seen before.

#3 3 years ago

Shaq, Q ball Wizard, Waterworld, and Stargate are all very solid games to me. I think they are all settling right around 1800-2200 or within a couple hundred of there. They lack some of the polish of Bally/Williams but the layouts and rules are good.

Now, Recue 911 and SFII... yeah I would really only buy those titles if they were worn out parts machines. You can't force someone to like a game of fun.

#4 3 years ago

I am an admitted system 3 fan...

Sherman tank reliability for the most part, quirky layouts/rules/art/themes.

However...

They were seemingly 10 years behind everyone else at the time, there is a monopoly on parts and manuals, quirky layouts/rules/art/themes, and let's face it: put an "A" list sys 3 (is there such a thing as an "A" list sys 3 ?) next to a "B/C" list B/W from the same era, and tell me which one you ae going to play every time? They aren't even in the same league.

Carguments aside, I've heard the comparison made that if B/W was Cadillac, then DE would be Hyundai...but what would Gottlieb be? I'm not going to say Yugo, but I would say 80's General Motors C-10 trucks; rock solid, but otherwise, spartan.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

I am an admitted system 3 fan...
Sherman tank reliability for the most part, quirky layouts/rules/art/themes.
However...
They were seemingly 10 years behind everyone else at the time, there is a monopoly on parts and manuals, quirky layouts/rules/art/themes, and let's face it: put an "A" list sys 3 (is there such a thing as an "A" list sys 3 ?) next to a "B/C" list B/W from the same era, and tell me which one you ae going to play every time? They aren't even in the same league.
Carguments aside, I've heard the comparison made that if B/W was Cadillac, then DE would be Hyundai...but what would Gottlieb be? I'm not going to say Yugo, but I would say 80's General Motors C-10 trucks; rock solid, but otherwise, spartan.

Well in the em days gottlieb was the Cadillac, in the 90’s maybe I agree with your c10

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Well in the em days gottlieb was the Cadillac, in the 90’s maybe I agree with your c10

Oh yeah, no doubt.

Again, I love me some system 3, but they are priced accordingly on the collector's/player's market when compared to their contemporaries. Maybe even a little high, but the same could be said for pinball as a whole.

Now that we are down this rabbit hole, take the arguably most coveted system 3, Stargate, and put it next to Fish Tales or The Getaway. While the latter 2 have less "features", they have significantly more polish in their artwork, rules, music, and overall execution. All 3 are priced pretty similarly on the used market, but I can almost guarantee that the majority of people would rather play or own FT or HS2. While system 3's usually had lots of stuff on the playfield, they just weren't as well integrated into the overall theme of the particular game.

Even compared to a lot of B/W system 11's, I think most people would still rather have and play an older, mid-level game like Mousin' Around or Taxi to most newer Gottlieb System 3's.

All that said, I still really enjoy all of the system 3's, especially the street level games!

#7 3 years ago

I really enjoy gottlieb system 3 games.
I feel they all have unique layouts, with lots of features on the playfield.
I currently have a Super Mario Bros, and I don't think it will ever leave. I have owned Shaq Attaq and Street Fighter 2 in the past, and wouldn't hesitate to bring them back into the lineup in the future. I quite enjoy playing my buddy's tee'd off and stargate as well.
Gottlieb made some great games. They used to always get a bad rap, though over the last few years they have seen some more love, which is nice to see.

#8 3 years ago

Have owned a few System 3s. If I had more room, I would definitely still have one just for the fact that they are so beginner friendly. There is always something interesting to shoot for and the flippers have significantly more travel so cradling is really easy. I wish code was better on these games. Too much unbalanced scoring and mystery awards. My favorites have to be Stargate, Gladiators, Big Hurt, and Silver Slugger.

#9 3 years ago

As far as reliability when properly gone through the Gottlieb system 3s are the best.

#10 3 years ago

Appreciate the input here. And I would have to agree... I bought my Rescue 911 as an Anniversary Gift 16yrs ago. My wife is a nurse. She loves it, and she is not a pinball player. I finally decided to get more in depth with my pins a few years ago and I find there are a lot of rules that people don't take time to get to know on these pins. I love Life Force Mode on R911.

I think Sink the Deez on Waterworld is a great mode. I love the moving wireform on Waterworld also. I think bang for your buck they are some of the best games out there. But there is a Monopoly of sorts on parts.

A few years back no one wanted SFII and they were under $1000... not so much any more... I will def be adding another to my lineup in the Future. Hoping for Mario, Stargate, or SFII....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-the-love-of-gottlieb-system-3-dmds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.