VA (resized).JPG
VA7 (resized).JPG
VA6 (resized).JPG
VA5 (resized).JPG
VA4 (resized).JPG
VA3 (resized).JPG
VA2 (resized).JPG
VA1 (resized).JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 1 year ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Vacation America

Added: 2022-07-03 00:10:53 UTC • Ended: July 28th, 2022
Condition: Used - shows wear, needs some work

Price

$ 1,000 (OBO)

Open for offers

Selling a Vacation America on behalf of a nonpinsider. This is his only pin and I am handling the transaction. Bottom line: Game is in good to very good condition cosmetically but it's a "working project" machine, with behavior that will require the buyer to have good diagnostic and repair skills.

This is an unusual title and is a non-commercial home model made by Chicago Gaming in 2003. Below is info from ipdb.org and a (goofy as always, but very useful) Todd Tuckey video of the title:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=vacation+america&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

In the past, I worked on this game a good bit so in that sense I know it well, but now it's developed some quirks that are beyond me and will take someone with good diagnostic skills to address. Primarily, the right flipper goes into the hold position briefly as soon as the ball trough kicker ejects a ball, and then during multiball the right flipper locks into the hold position and stays there for a while. I have tried some troubleshooting but failed to figure this out. I suspect a leaky diode in the ball trough kicker but can't confirm this, and the owner has pointed out that the feature lights seem to behave in a sequence that is "off by one"--in other words, while a certain light should be flashing it is solid, whereas the next one in the sequence is flashing, etc. So perhaps there is a logic problem in the controller board in the backbox that would account for this behavior. There is phone tech support available from an individual at Chicago Gaming who is highly familiar with the title--I have spoken to him in the past and can give the buyer his contact information--but, again, the current issues are beyond my skills to address, even with the help of Chicago Gaming.

I made a clumsy but thorough 15-minute video that fully documents the current behavior of the machine, and that video is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VQs1hSSJwK-s_hYeSndCu_5S6hDvV0zp/view?usp=sharing

There are two optic sensors (whose design is unique to the game, as described in the Todd Tuckey video) that need to be replaced and would require some fine soldering work. The owner has two spare optic sensors and some other spare parts as well, as documented in my 15-minute video.

The owner paid $1,500 for the pin, but knows he will have to sell it at a loss, and he is pricing it at $1,000 OBO. The pin is cash only and pickup only in State College, PA.

Thanks for considering.

Joe Schall
Cell: ###-###-#### [phone number removed]

Item photos

VA (resized).JPG
VA1 (resized).JPG
VA2 (resized).JPG
VA3 (resized).JPG
VA4 (resized).JPG
VA5 (resized).JPG
VA6 (resized).JPG
VA7 (resized).JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are JOESCHALL's market stats.

silver Seller Level

JOESCHALL has the Pinside Silver seller level!

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to JOESCHALL's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and indicated the game eventually sold for $ 700

Seller contributed to Pinside for this listing!

Item location

State College, PA, US

#2 1 year ago

Why do I even look at the for sale ads, I dont have any room. Anybody looking to buy a first pin should get this machine, you will learn so much how to fix things and its a super rare title. May not be very fun but it will teach you how to make shots and get you a physical machine for cheap.

#3 1 year ago

Man I do want one of these for some unknown reason. Wish it was working, always want to take one to the shows.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks, ruzeo and timtim. Appreciate the responses. It is a fun and inexpensive machine--I just can't keep it working 100%.

#5 1 year ago

I had one of these a few years back that came in as part of a package deal that was not doing exactly what your is but other weird things and I ended up dumping out if it, I felt very fortunate to get I think like $400 or $500!

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the comment, Flipperfun. A shame you didn't get to play the game fully working. The owner and his kids enjoyed hundreds of games apiece on this title before it started acting up in its current state, and they found it to be surprisingly fun.

#7 1 year ago

Weekend bump.

1 week later
#8 1 year ago

PM of interest received from a pinsider and reply sent.

#9 1 year ago

Does Chicago Gaming no longer offer support, even replacement boards at a price for this game?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Does Chicago Gaming no longer offer support, even replacement boards at a price for this game?

Chicago Gaming does offer good phone tech support--there is one guy there who knows the game well--but my skill set is limited enough that I can't confidently address these problems even with tech support. I don't want to do any damage and I can't find anyone local to work on it, and the owner would rather sell it then invest more money into trying to have it fixed. The problem could be at the MPU board level, and CG will do board diagnostics and repair, but to my understanding there are no replacement boards available. Again, the owner would rather sell it than put more money into it. I do appreciate the comment, though.

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

Sale pending, with pickup scheduled for tomorrow.

#12 1 year ago

Sold to a pinsider for $700. Thanks to all those who inquired.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-vacation-america-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.